Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 29 2012, 10:07 AM   #241
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: The Newsroom.

I've had a few jobs or theater roles or whatever in my day where I gathered through a few parties, drunken confessions and a couple mis-sent texts that X was trying to sleep with with Y who was unhappily dating Z who still secretly pined for A who was also sleeping with Y while friendzoning B & Z while waiting for C to notice her and break up with X. I may or may not have been one of the people in this example clusterfuck.

When you work at a job that basically becomes your life, your dating pool basically shrinks to coworkers. This isn't unrealistic in any way other than any straight male being able to turn down Sloan throwing herself at them and seems to suit the show's tone fairly well.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 10:24 AM   #242
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

this is a show i'm actually really enjoying... the last episode was genius, loved their reactions to the phone hacking stuff

M
Old August 30 2012, 07:58 AM   #243
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Loved it! My favorite moment has to be in the close quarters office scene towards the end, where it looks, for just a moment, like Will and Mac are getting ready to get in close for a kiss, and Will just goes, "Why the FUCK didn't you tell me?!"

Loved the hospital scenes with the nurse.
Loved where Maggie starts screaming at the Sex and the City tour bus.
Living in an area surrounded by huge swathes of the TEA party, I felt the message Will gave over the air was spot on.

All in all, fantastic finale. Can't wait for Season 2!
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 11:04 AM   #244
Australis
Writer

American Taliban. Damn straight.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 11:14 AM   #245
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Loved it! My favorite moment has to be in the close quarters office scene towards the end, where it looks, for just a moment, like Will and Mac are getting ready to get in close for a kiss, and Will just goes, "Why the FUCK didn't you tell me?!"
I'll admit, that was my favourite scene from the last episode... pure genius

M
Old August 30 2012, 06:04 PM   #246
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Australis wrote: View Post
American Taliban. Damn straight.
I haven't watched this show (I don't have HBO). But someone just sent me a YouTube link to the American Taliban speech.

I got goosebumps. Seriously.

I've been saying that for 2 years.

Just brilliant.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 08:16 PM   #247
Data Holmes
Admiral

Loved the final. Loved the fact that "sorority chick" Signed up to be an intern. Loved the poker bluff moment of getting the guy to confess to ordering hacking.

Overall it was a good season with a lot of stand out moments with the potential to be a great series once they work out their bugs. I do miss the more film like visual style that Thomas Schlamme applied to Sorkin's three previous tv shows and still wish he could get signed up to EP/Direct Newsroom. Other than that though, I'm pleased with the dose of Sorkin goodness.
Old August 30 2012, 08:34 PM   #248
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

So.. I have two problems with this, now that I think back to the episode...

I'm really starting to have an issue with Sorkin's portrayal of Will as a Republican... Yes, those of us who are true conservative Republicans have MAJOR issues with those who have taken over the Tea Party... But Will never really goes into what a real republican says or does... It's as if Sorkin believes that real republicans pretty much think the say way liberals do.. Which I guess wouldn't surprise me if he did think that way... Every once in a while, Will tells someone that he's a Republican and then they move on... It's getting kind of tiresome..

But more importantly. Why the HELL was Jim on the Sex in the City Tour Bus? Did I miss something earlier in the episode that would logically place him on the bus??
Old August 30 2012, 08:52 PM   #249
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Would Sorkin-----or Hollywood in general-----hire a good Republican writer, with emphasis on good? Has HBO ever done so?
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 08:53 PM   #250
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

marillion wrote: View Post
But more importantly. Why the HELL was Jim on the Sex in the City Tour Bus? Did I miss something earlier in the episode that would logically place him on the bus??
Yes, you apparently missed the conversation in the conference room where Neal told Jim about the tour bus because Jim was looking for a way to seem interested in and understand the show for Lisa's sake.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 09:04 PM   #251
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I did a Mexican wave with everyone else in the room (no one.) when Allison got splashed from the gutters just like Carrie got splashed from the gutters in the opening credits to Sex and the City...

i wonder if HBO was happy that they were for free advertising the new CW prequel to Sex and the City that's premiering in a month? or are these the sort of peopel that don't know, or don't want to know about these sorts of things?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 09:34 PM   #252
Count Zero
Decidedly something

marillion wrote: View Post
I'm really starting to have an issue with Sorkin's portrayal of Will as a Republican... Yes, those of us who are true conservative Republicans have MAJOR issues with those who have taken over the Tea Party... But Will never really goes into what a real republican says or does... It's as if Sorkin believes that real republicans pretty much think the say way liberals do.. Which I guess wouldn't surprise me if he did think that way... Every once in a while, Will tells someone that he's a Republican and then they move on... It's getting kind of tiresome..
Well, in the Newsnight segment of the finale he stated what he thought Republicans should stand for. I can totally believe that Sorkin and the rest of the writers have a hard time getting into a Republican mindset and writing Will in such a way that he still comes off as sympathetic, though. I like how this has become a running gag on the show itself, with people expressing surprise or even disbelief that Will's a Republican. The scene where Maggie says she thought Will was only a speech writer for Bush Sr. to fuck with the Republicans and undermine them from within is a favourite of mine.
But back on topic. Will is a moderate/liberal Republican who might have become a Democrat if he wasn't from a very rural area in Nebraska. So, there's an element of tradition and loyalty to him being a Republican. Apart from that talk with Brian what we know is that he's pro-life (but only because Lisa says so in episode 9) and that he seemed to see illegal immigration much more negative than the rest of his team during their pre-show discussion in episode 2. (Although he did end up paying the taxi fare of the guy Neal mentioned but that's in line with his compassionate nature and there's of course a difference between a political idea/principle and ruthlessly applying it.) In the opening episode we also learned that he had voted for candidates from both parties, and funnily enough, when we first meet him he doesn't really want to admit that he's a Republican.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
i wonder if HBO was happy that they were for free advertising the new CW prequel to Sex and the City that's premiering in a month? or are these the sort of peopel that don't know, or don't want to know about these sorts of things?
It's only advertisement if you know that there will be a prequel show (I didn't know that). I highly doubt Sorkin was aware of it when he wrote the script many months ago. I find it somewhat disconcerting but also amusing that Sorkin has apparently watched it and remembered more of the general plot than I do (and I watched it religiously back in the day). Anyway, I now feel vindicated in my selection of guilty pleasures because of that.
Old August 30 2012, 10:20 PM   #253
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Sorkin method is this.

From my life I have had insane women that I shouldn't have slept with who found ways to run away but somehow came back and I regretted it until she...

Sex and the city is from almost 20 years ago.

Lisa would have been a 5 year old when it started, watching it on the knee of a deeply irresponsible parent, and she would have been busy at keggers losing her virginity when the first movie came out...

This is not a "young" womans problem now.

This is a young womans problem in the late 90s.
l
Probably a young woman who Aaron was dating in the 90s when he was young.

Lisa would have to be a professor of ancient pop culture to know what sex and the City is.

(Yes, people can fall in love with reruns, but that's mostly the unemployed or meth addicts.)

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 10:32 PM   #254
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Sex And The City premiered in 1998, not twenty years ago, it's been in syndication and there have been 2 commercially quite successful movies in 2008 and 2010. There are also magical silver disks called DVDs. I think Maggie is supposed to be 26, most of my freinds that age are well aware of the show, and I'm only a few years older and watched it. I don't think that's unrealistic at all.
Old August 30 2012, 10:39 PM   #255
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

foxhot wrote: View Post
Would Sorkin-----or Hollywood in general-----hire a good Republican writer, with emphasis on good? Has HBO ever done so?
Daniel Knauf who wrote Carnivale.