Pegg Co-writing Star Trek 3
By: T'Bonz on Jan 22

Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Star Trek 3 Filming To Begin
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

IDW Publishing Trek Comics For April 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 12 2012, 03:31 AM   #211
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Re: The Newsroom.

He's a fucking newsman.
Old August 12 2012, 03:48 AM   #212
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Keep him?

They haven't played the asshole card since the pilot almost.

90 percent of me wants to see Don and Maggie live happily ever after because he looks like puppy who lost his bone every time she takes a step towards Jim.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; August 12 2012 at 04:07 AM.
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 03:58 AM   #213
Count Zero
Decidedly something

I'm ok with the romance on the show. I'm definetely rooting for Will and Mac but I find Jim and Lisa more interesting than Jim and Maggie.
Old August 12 2012, 04:07 AM   #214
J. Allen
Muy Caliente

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Count Zero wrote: View Post
I'm ok with the romance on the show. I'm definetely rooting for Will and Mac but I find Jim and Lisa more interesting than Jim and Maggie.
Same here. I think Jim has a great opportunity to form a great relationship with Lisa. Let Don and Maggie stay together and work their deal out. Oh, and yeah, definitely fingers crossed for Will and Mackenzie.
Old August 12 2012, 04:54 AM   #215
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Will and Mackenzie aren't as obnoxious as the Jim/Maggie/Don stuff, thanks to the lack of a painful triangle, among other things, but I can't fathom rooting for them as a couple. I don't see any chemistry there, she's horribly incompetent, and he's an asshole most of the time (especially to her).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 05:25 AM   #216
Data Holmes
Admiral

I'm currently watching my way through The West Wing with two friends of mine. Last night, we watched "20 Hours in America" and I saw a young James Tiberius Harper. He was a volunteer for the Bartlet campaign in Indiana but claimed to be called Tyler.
How great is that first season cliffhanger of the west wing?
Old August 12 2012, 10:21 AM   #217
Australis
Writer

^ Pretty great. In the midst of a WW rewatch.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 11:07 AM   #218
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I rewatched Wonder Woman recently too.

Old August 12 2012, 03:29 PM   #219
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
I'm currently watching my way through The West Wing with two friends of mine. Last night, we watched "20 Hours in America" and I saw a young James Tiberius Harper. He was a volunteer for the Bartlet campaign in Indiana but claimed to be called Tyler.
Quite great but we watched the next two episodes right after that. I can't imagine having to wait several months for the resolution to that one.
Old August 12 2012, 03:39 PM   #220
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Will and Mackenzie aren't as obnoxious as the Jim/Maggie/Don stuff, thanks to the lack of a painful triangle, among other things, but I can't fathom rooting for them as a couple. I don't see any chemistry there, she's horribly incompetent, and he's an asshole most of the time (especially to her).
I feel similarly, I don't see any chemistry between them and find the two characters damn near insufferable when focusing on their non-relationship, so I'm actively hoping that they don't get together and that the show drops the whole thing. I did like the engagement ring scene because of the shear scale of the dickishness involved, but that's the only time I found their romantic storyline to be interesting, and it only served to show why those two should not be in a relationship.

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
I really liked the start of the second season, it captured the chaos of that sort of situation really well, and there are a lot of interesting parallels to the assassination attempt on Reagan.

One thing I noticed about The Newsroom is that the season 1 finale isn't titled What Kind of Day Has It Been, which is a first for a Sorkin series.
Old August 13 2012, 07:11 PM   #221
Data Holmes
Admiral

Not sure of my thoughts on last nights eps... I kinda want to see part two before I comment, as it felt like last night was really only half an eps.
Old August 13 2012, 10:18 PM   #222
Count Zero
Decidedly something

True, there was a lot of set-up for what is shaping up to be an epic and dramatic story. But it was a pretty good set-up episode which had plenty of great moments. I laughed at the awesome end of the episode.
Before that, I especially liked the exchange between Neal and Sloan (wow, she is crazy, but I like it), it had me in stitches. Then there was Sloan's passionate bidding for space for her important story. I loved the debate prep, especially Maggie's angle on Bachmann's hearing God's voice. And I also thought the scene at Will's psychiatrist was both funny and kind of thought-provoking. It stuck with me, in any case. Will is really messed up and I wonder if he'll ever manage to overcome this emotional baggae he keeps carrying around.
I'm not too optimistic about Newsnight's future the way things are going. The most they can hope for is blackmailing Fiona Lansing with what little they know about the wiretapping. But of course, keeping this story under wraps in exchange for staying on air is also unethical.
Old August 13 2012, 10:22 PM   #223
J. Allen
Muy Caliente

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

True, there was a lot of set-up for what is shaping up to be an epic and dramatic story. But it was a pretty good set-up episode which had plenty of great moments. I laughed at the awesome end of the episode.
Before that, I especially liked the exchange between Neal and Sloan (wow, she is crazy, but I like it), it had me in stitches. Then there was Sloan's passionate bidding for space for her important story. I loved the debate prep, especially Maggie's angle on Bachmann's hearing God's voice. And I also thought the scene at Will's psychiatrist was both funny and kind of thought-provoking. It stuck with me, in any case. Will is really messed up and I wonder if he'll ever manage to overcome this emotional baggae he keeps carrying around.
I'm not too optimistic about Newsnight's future the way things are going. The most they can hope for is blackmailing Fiona Lansing with what little they know about the wiretapping. But of course, keeping this story under wraps in exchange for staying on air is also unethical.
I'm starting to think Will believes that holding onto the baggage makes him who he is, that he has to hold onto the pain because it defines him.

I can't wait to see how they resolve this!
Old August 13 2012, 10:58 PM   #224
Count Zero
Decidedly something

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I'm starting to think Will believes that holding onto the baggage makes him who he is, that he has to hold onto the pain because it defines him.
Like Captain Kirk?

I forgot to mention this episode's best line: "A modest proposal, we could ourselves commit murder on our air. In your face, Nancy Grace!"
Mac was on fire in this one. I really liked that. Too bad she was fighting a losing battle. By the way, so far, I also sort of like Brian, her ex-boyfriend. His introduction could have been awkward and played out predictably but I appreciated how he took everything in stride and his little duels of dialogue with Will and Mac.
Old August 13 2012, 11:40 PM   #225
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The actor is in a movie with Olivia Munn called the babymakers which weirdly I saw yesterday.

It feels like an 80s movie.

Guy has to rob a sperm back to get his wife pregnant.