Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 29 2012, 05:36 AM   #166
Elemental
Rear Admiral

View Elemental's Twitter Profile
Re: The Newsroom.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
In this world there's no such thing as a fiscal conservative, just right and wrong.
I assume then you've devoted any and all wealth, luxuries, and excesses you have to the less fortunate in Africa?

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 12:11 PM   #167
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Elemental wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
In this world there's no such thing as a fiscal conservative, just right and wrong.
I assume then you've devoted any and all wealth, luxuries, and excesses you have to the less fortunate in Africa?

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"
You think I'm a Sith?

Sorry, I was not clear.

I was referring to, I thought I was referring to, the fictional world created by Aaron for the News Room universe where where Will McAcoy is %100 right and every one who disagrees with him is an idiot or evil.

I should have said

In this world created by Sorkin there's no such thing as a fiscal conservative, just right and wrong, or In this imaginary world there's no such thing as a fiscal conservative, just right and wrong.... but at the time I must have assumed that would have gone without saying since most of what we are talking about in this thread is about the Sorkinverse, or the multiSorkinverses, but yes I do see my exposed exhaust port from the idea I put forward and you made a fabulous, albeit unecessary trench run at it.

BRAVO!

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 06:39 PM   #168
Elemental
Rear Admiral

LOL I gotcha now. And yes, while shows like The West Wing do sometimes show there can be good ideas come from both sides of the political spectrum and that there are two sides to a coin, Sorkin can sometimes give off a 'holier than thou' perception to his writing where you must be a fool if you don't come to the same conclusions he does.
Old July 30 2012, 07:46 AM   #169
Data Holmes
Admiral

Tonights was another good eps in my opinion. Will and the Bodyguard was fun. Will with the shrink was great. I loved the boss chewing out Munn's character after she went nuts on the air and the Executive Producer telling her to wait ten seconds and remember they had all been there before. Speaking of which, Olivia Munn showed off really well her acting range, which I must admit I didn't think was that far, and impressed with her language skills. She either knows how to speak Japanese, or she is a hell of a quick learner.

Overall, still gotta say I'm loving the "Sorkin Goodness" that is being delivered each week. Can't wait till next sunday.
Old July 30 2012, 08:25 AM   #170
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Elemental wrote: View Post
LOL I gotcha now. And yes, while shows like The West Wing do sometimes show there can be good ideas come from both sides of the political spectrum and that there are two sides to a coin, Sorkin can sometimes give off a 'holier than thou' perception to his writing where you must be a fool if you don't come to the same conclusions he does.
What i hated about the West Wing was the ireality. The actual people there are a lot mor cynical and i dare say evil.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 01:28 PM   #171
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

The climax of the interview with the Santorum spokesperson was enormously well done. I've actually had a conversation that went very closely along those lines not too long ago and it is pretty hard to look down on someone who believes so strongly in an issue (faith, sanctity of life, whatever it be) that they knowingly and willfully would deny themselves respect, acceptance and freedom to accomplish what they "know to be right."

Too bad for the Republicans they can't use that kind of passion and self-sacrifice in their PR without admitting to bigotry with the same words.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 03:00 PM   #172
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
Olivia Munn showed off really well her acting range, which I must admit I didn't think was that far, and impressed with her language skills. She either knows how to speak Japanese, or she is a hell of a quick learner
IIRC, she is half-Japanese in real life. She may bring natural language skills to the table in that regard. That whole bit was perfectly suited for her. Although I thought her getting chewed out was a bit over-the-top.
Old July 30 2012, 03:08 PM   #173
CaptainCanada
Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
IIRC, she is half-Japanese in real life. She may bring natural language skills to the table in that regard. That whole bit was perfectly suited for her. Although I thought her getting chewed out was a bit over-the-top.
I believe she's half-Chinese, but she grew up partly in Japan.

Olivia Munn is turning out to be easily the best actress on this show, which I wasn't remotely expecting. Partly I suppose it's because Sloan is written as much less intolerable than Mackenzie and especially Maggie (rapidly climbing to the top of my list of the most annoying characters on TV), but Munn seems to have a better handle on Sorkin's dialogue too.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 03:15 PM   #174
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Half-Chinese I think, but raised in Japan and started her career there.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old July 30 2012, 04:41 PM   #175
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Ah...I stand corrected.
Old July 30 2012, 07:54 PM   #176
Elemental
Rear Admiral

Just finished watching this week's episode. Probably the best episode yet in my opinion. I was also happy to see some new ongoing plot threads being created beyond just the two unrequited love stories (namely, the death threat).

My only beef with this episode would be that some of the plot lines felt exceedingly similar to what was done on West Wing - namely, the visit to the psychiatrist being almost spot on identical to Josh's PTSD visit experience. As a physician myself, I find it a little humorous the way he portrays psychiatrists although it's to be expected, as everyone is a little bit larger than life in the Sorkin-verse. Also, the death threat to Will reminded me a lot of the threat made to CJ in season 3 of WW after she made a disparaging comment about Saudi Arabia's mistreatment of women. Even so though, great episode.
Old July 30 2012, 08:28 PM   #177
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
The climax of the interview with the Santorum spokesperson was enormously well done. I've actually had a conversation that went very closely along those lines not too long ago and it is pretty hard to look down on someone who believes so strongly in an issue (faith, sanctity of life, whatever it be) that they knowingly and willfully would deny themselves respect, acceptance and freedom to accomplish what they "know to be right."

Too bad for the Republicans they can't use that kind of passion and self-sacrifice in their PR without admitting to bigotry with the same words.
It's still all realesque.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1188992.html

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 09:41 PM   #178
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I hope the main guy is not modelled after Matthews, if so it is a terrible choice.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2012, 11:18 PM   #179
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

He is an amalgam of several real life anchors I'm sure. I can see a little Matthews in thre.
Old July 31 2012, 12:41 AM   #180
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Best dialogue:

Will: "I'm going to fix the internet!"
Neal: "What could possibly go wrong?"

Good episode though not quite as great as the last two. I'm not sure how I should feel about the fact that Will was already pretty messed up before Mac cheated on him and I felt the inclusion of an abusive alcoholic father was a bit much. Since Jed Bartlett also has an abusive father, I take it this is a sort of theme with Sorkin. Does he have issues with his father?