Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old October 21 2012, 12:03 AM   #1
Knight Templar
Commodore

Whatever Happened to "tough love"?

It seems like this idea was all the rage back in the late 1980s to early 1990s about (in particular) dealing with rebellious teenagers and/or close relatives who were addicts or some kind of persistent offender.

Now you never hear a word about it. I looked it up on wikipedia and some people even define it as being abusive.
Old October 21 2012, 12:03 AM   #2
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Whatever Happened to "tough love"?

^ Probably because it IS abusive.
Old October 21 2012, 12:05 AM   #3
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

Knight Templar wrote: View Post
It seems like this idea was all the rage back in the late 1980s to early 1990s about (in particular) dealing with rebellious teenagers and/or close relatives who were addicts or some kind of persistent offender.

Now you never hear a word about it. I looked it up on wikipedia and some people even define it as being abusive.
What is your precise definition of tough love?
Old October 21 2012, 12:05 AM   #4
Guartho
Rear Admiral

Not necessarily. Letting your teenage son spend the night in jail after he screws up instead of rushing right down to post bail would be tough love and that's certainly not abusive.

(AKA "Mr. Donkey Kong King" for no apparent reason)
Old October 21 2012, 12:06 AM   #5
RoJoHen
Awesome

Yeah, what exactly are we talking about here?
Old October 21 2012, 12:19 AM   #6
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Boundaries. Not letting someone who is fucking up their life damage others.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 21 2012, 01:02 AM   #7
Knight Templar
Commodore

teacock wrote: View Post
Boundaries. Not letting someone who is fucking up their life damage others.
Agreed. and not being an enabler. Not making someones recovery especially "easy" just because they are family. Let someone you love suffer the consequences of their actions.

I know some parents that let their teenagers drink all they want at home because they don't want them doing it away from home or driving.

How can someone ever learn if you constantly give them a "soft landing".
Old October 21 2012, 01:06 AM   #8
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

I know some parents that let their teenagers drink all they want at home because they don't want them doing it away from home or driving.
Why do they assume they aren't?
Old October 21 2012, 01:33 AM   #9
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Letting someone be responsible for, and/or face the repercussions of their actions is, in some cases, entirely necessary. But, like anything, the individual has to decide when and where, and to what degree, the response is appropriate.

Obviously, very young children do require assistance, as one wouldn't let a small boy walk home in dangerously cold weather because he forgot his coat, even after you reminded him. You'd find a way to get his coat to him, and give him an earful when you did so. You could later decide on a small punishment, like taking away a toy or a privileged, because he failed to listen, but you certainly wouldn't risk the child getting frostbite just to prove your point.

But if someone is an addict or alcoholic, and you keep giving them money, guess what? They will take that money and go buy drugs & booze with it. You're enabling their addiction. As hard as it is, you can't cave in. You can offer them a place to stay while they detox, or offer to drive them to rehab, or something similar. If you keep making it easy for them to continue their self-destructive behavior, then it's like giving them permission. My sister was a drug addict and alcoholic for 25 years, and that might not have gone on for so long if my parents didn't keep bailing her out. She stole from them, lied constantly, destroyed their property, neglected and abandoned her child, sent her husband into a nervous breakdown and gave my mom stress-related heart problems. It wasn't until the courts took her child away that she finally stopped.

It's obviously a matter of degrees, the age and maturity of the person involved and the severity of the problem.A child who refuses to do homework pays by spending her summer vacation in summer school or perhaps even gets held back a year. Someone who continually breaks the law, however, will pay by spending some time in jail. That's how life is. You don't help someone by not letting them see the consequences of their actions.
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
Old October 21 2012, 01:49 AM   #10
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

You're so vague about your meaning that you make discussion difficult, especially since I'm half convinced this will be leading toward some sort of gay reeducation camp or "you shouldn't teach your kids about anything other than abstinence from sex" pivot at some point in the near future given your track record.

If you're talking about simply setting boundaries and not enabling misbehavior in teens, that hasn't gone out of style just because the phrase "tough love" might have fallen out of favor, nor is the anecdotal observation of a few of your neighbors letting their kids get drunk evidence of any widespread change in attitudes.

Not giving your kids money because it might be spent on drugs is a perfectly reasonable response (but it must be followed up with keeping a close eye on the teen to make sure they aren't turning to theft in order to raise the money). Sending them off to boot camps that don't work to get screamed at or abused by other people when what they really need is close parental support (which doesn't mean enabling) and professional treatment is not.

Since in the past you've made it abundantly clear that you think shunning your own child and kicking them out of the house for their misbehaviors (which in your eyes include such things as being born gay) is perfectly acceptable, I'm going to go ahead and say that no, that kind of "tough love" is not popular, nor should it be. It's barbaric and abusive and a total abdication of your parental responsibilities whilst patting yourself on your back for doing what your warped mind considers the right thing, and parents who practice it with underage children should be arrested.

Whatever this topic is ultimately about, it should be noted that crime among teenagers is way down, as is cigarette, alcohol, and other drug use (with the exception of a slight rise in the use of marijuana --which is actually safer than cigarettes or alcohol anyway; not that I'm recommending it for teens), so the alleged enabling of teenagers you think is going on everywhere doesn't seem to have to negative effect you think it does.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Old October 21 2012, 04:56 AM   #11
Knight Templar
Commodore

The Mediocre Pumpkin wrote: View Post

You're so vague about your meaning that you make discussion difficult, especially since I'm half convinced this will be leading toward some sort of gay reeducation camp or "you shouldn't teach your kids about anything other than abstinence from sex" pivot at some point in the near future given your track record.

I suggest you check out my threads. I'm not the one who brings in questions of homosexuality or similar issues in. For some reason people seem obsessed with introducing it into every thread I post in (or it seems that way to me).
Old October 21 2012, 08:35 AM   #12
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

I've been on the receiving end of tough love back in the day.. my parents understood that you couldn't always be a friend to their kid but when needed could put their foot down and not waver an inch (my dad moreso than my mom ).

Of course i "hated" them at the moment it happened and ranted on length to my friends but as the years progressed i realized that they always had the best intentions and it needed to be done at the time.

This is why some parents (even back then) have a hard time with tough love.. they can't handle their kid being raving mad at them and would rather avoid the confrontation and let the kid go. However the long term results are always bad.. kids learn that they can get away with everything so why bother behaving at all?
I have friends who were in the late 30s/early 40s when their kids were at this stage and they didn't put their foot down on time.. result were many embarrassments amongst us, their adult friends, when their kids once again failed to obey and did stuff they were not supposed to do. Finally they realized their mistake and changed the program.. was tough at first but it worked.
Old October 21 2012, 08:43 AM   #13
Kestra
Vice Admiral

This thread is useless unless the OP is going to define terms and be more specific.
Old October 21 2012, 09:30 AM   #14
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Red nosed and loving it

Kestra wrote: View Post
This thread is useless unless the OP is going to define terms and be more specific.
Totally agreed.

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Old October 21 2012, 01:57 PM   #15
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus

I tried it once, but my wife didn't hear the safety word (what with the ball-gag and all) and ended up punching me in the eye.