CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate The Amazing Spider-Man?
Excellent 23 33.82%
Good 29 42.65%
Fair 10 14.71%
Poor 4 5.88%
Terrible 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 8 2012, 08:25 PM   #196
clint g
Admiral

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

I'm not surprised by that. Spider-Man 3 left a bad taste in many peoples mouths so a bit of franchise rebuilding is in order.
Old July 8 2012, 08:26 PM   #197
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
People keep saying that, but other than the car thief scene I don't remember a whole lot of wisecracking going on.

In fact I just rewatched the first Raimi movie and I thought there was just as much joking around in that one:
In the first film, yes. I don't remember as much in the others. However, it could be because I thought McGuire's delivery was terrible.

Gaith wrote: View Post
New Rule: Anyone who pays to see ASM in theaters is not allowed to complain about there being too many reboots.
Uh huh. Sure.

I personally don't care about remakes/reboots. They don't bother me, unless they are done terribly. I thought ASM was made by people who clearly cared about making a decent film, even if it wasn't with the same passion as the first film.

Either way, superhero films are exempt from criticism regarding remakes because they are all adaptations of another medium, and are constantly being remade. Complaining about this film being a remake says to me that someone thinks that Raimi created Spider-Man in 2001, which is stupid beyond words... but not terribly surprising.

The only remakes that upset me are ones that nobody asked for based on movies that may have a cult following, but no wide appeal. Like Total Recall. Or Robocop.

Next summer I'm looking forward to a remake of Enemy Mine starring Shia Lebeuf followed by a remake of The Last Starfighter where the arcade game is replaced by some gimmicky hologram VR bullshit Hollywood thinks needs to be in every scifi film.
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 09:10 PM   #198
Relayer1
Commodore

Gaith wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I have to say that I'm heartily sick of reboots already. Recast, move on, whatever, you just don't need to keep hitting the reset button. Batman, Daredevil, Superman and Co. take note.
New Rule: Anyone who pays to see ASM in theaters is not allowed to complain about there being too many reboots.

This movie was a reboot. This was never a secret; the ads even played it up to the general population.

When you pay to see a movie, you cast a vote for more movies like it, regardless of what you then think of the movie, because either way, they studio's been paid.

For anyone who doesn't want to see Spidey rebooted only a decade after SM1, I have a brilliant, mind-bending strategy: don't see it!

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Having said that, although it wasn't perfect (you can nitpick for ever and a day regarding adherence to the source material) it really worked and was head and shoulders better than even the best of the Raimi's films.
So you paid to see a reboot you knew was a reboot, and rather liked it regardless?

Way to make the studios "take note" not to do any more reboots.
And I'll go to see the new Superman too ! I have a son who loves superhero films...
Old July 8 2012, 09:11 PM   #199
stj
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
^I'm pretty sure he meant that Captain Stacy's death was an element that was true to the comics, not that it was humorous.
Yes.
Missed this first time round. Thanks for the clarification, which makes perfect sense of course.

On the secret ID stuff, the Fantastic Four never had any. But, then, they had a skyscraper with a doorman. So I guess they didn't have privacy issues the way others would.
Keeping the secret from the near and dear doesn't actually make any sense, it would just cause huge problems. It's the hostile strangers who you need to avoid. On the other hand, telling Gwen means Peter can never dump her, lest she drop the dime on him to Kraven or Mysterio!
Old July 8 2012, 10:10 PM   #200
sonak
Vice Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
Isn't Spidey a little too casual with his identity, though? He reveals his face to a kid who's DEFINITELY old enough to remember and describe it. He lets Gwen know. He LEAVES A CAMERA WITH HIS NAME ON IT when he's fighting as Spider-Man. Then he gets captured and discovered by Stacy's dad.
Taking the mask off was necessary to save the kid, and nobody knows the kid knows what he looks like.

I don't mind the ID stuff. The secret identity is, in a lot of cases, a formula that kept getting included in the comics because Superman had one and everybody was mimicking his basic story setup, and kept it up even in many instances where it doesn't make much sense (one of the things I most like about the Marvel Studios films is their willingness to modernize and dispense with the characters' totally useless secret identities). If Peter trusts Gwen (or his aunt, etc.), there's no reason for him to make a big secret out of it.

I don't know that it was necessary for him to take off his mask to save the kid. Why not just persuade him verbally that he's just a regular guy, or tell a joke, or try something other than just taking his mask off?
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 10:50 PM   #201
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
Because the actors contract calls for "x" amount of face time. I'm guessing. Otherwise why would this happen so often. It's a bit cliche now. The first time I really noticed it was for Batman Returns when he rips his cowl off. Since then it's just gotten worse.

Allegedly the new Dredd movie is going to buck that. V for Vendetta is the only other one to stay true where needed. I've read Urban is masked the whole time.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 11:02 PM   #202
Dream
Admiral

^^^
Because the actors contract calls for "x" amount of face time. I'm guessing. Otherwise why would this happen so often. It's a bit cliche now. The first time I really noticed it was for Batman Returns when he rips his cowl off. Since then it's just gotten worse.
I always found that silly. Only superheroes with public identities like Iron Man and the Fantasic Four or maskless heroes like Superman and Thor should be going around without a mask on.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 11:46 PM   #203
CaptainCanada
Admiral

^^^
Because the actors contract calls for "x" amount of face time. I'm guessing. Otherwise why would this happen so often.
They do it because they want to show the actor's face as much as possible. That's well-established (Mark Steven Johnson even talked about how, when making Daredevil, executives told him they didn't think he should be wearing a mask, because it made no sense to hire Ben Affleck and then hide his face).
sonak wrote: View Post
I don't know that it was necessary for him to take off his mask to save the kid. Why not just persuade him verbally that he's just a regular guy, or tell a joke, or try something other than just taking his mask off?
It was presented as necessary in-universe. Maybe something else might have worked, but it was a tense situation on a pretty tight clock (the "persuasion" one, in particular, would have taken longer in all likelihood).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 01:36 AM   #204
davejames
Vice Admiral

To be honest I've always thought it was kinda cool to see Spidey or Batman or Iron Man without their masks on. Somehow it makes it feel a bit more "real" when you see the actors actually wearing the suit.

Plus it's kind of a necessary evil at the end of a movie when you really NEED to see the actor's emotions (since there's no thought balloons or nonstop narration to explain everything). Especially with Spidey, who's completely covered up.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 03:00 AM   #205
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

To be honest I've always thought it was kinda cool to see Spidey or Batman or Iron Man without their masks on.
I don't mind seeing them without their mask. I do think it is kind of funny when Spider-Man, who in the movies clearly is wearing a one piece suit with no separation between the mask and neck can suddenly take his mask off.

Even funnier is when the mask is shown to be all fabric with no supports, but when he wears the mask you can't see his jaw move, so there is clearly something in their holding his face in shape!
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 03:11 AM   #206
Warped9
Admiral

TremblingBluStar wrote: View Post
To be honest I've always thought it was kinda cool to see Spidey or Batman or Iron Man without their masks on.
I don't mind seeing them without their mask. I do think it is kind of funny when Spider-Man, who in the movies clearly is wearing a one piece suit with no separation between the mask and neck can suddenly take his mask off.

Even funnier is when the mask is shown to be all fabric with no supports, but when he wears the mask you can't see his jaw move, so there is clearly something in their holding his face in shape!
We've been turning a blind eye to this for years since he's been taking off his mask as a separate piece since he first started in comics.
Old July 9 2012, 03:49 AM   #207
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah that's true. You never see any kind of mask line around his neck in the comics.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 07:51 AM   #208
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

With Sam's first I felt complete rage, but with this'n I feel nothing.

What's worse?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 08:05 AM   #209
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

clint g wrote: View Post
I'm not surprised by that. Spider-Man 3 left a bad taste in many peoples mouths so a bit of franchise rebuilding is in order.
It's interestig that some people loathe Rami's original, which I thought was note perfect. I suspect that my feelings are because I stopped reading Spiderman in the 70s so Rami's vision tied into that era. Perhaps modern readers of the comics relate more to the less cheesy stories of the modern comics?

Ironically, if they had adopted the more sombre tone of ASM in S3, it would have worked far better.

If MJ had said - you're a jerk get lost instead of applying the reset button at the end, it would have left more fertile ground for S4, much as they did in the teaser scene in ASM. Likewise, if Venom's creation had been the finale of S4, it would have left people more hungry for a sequel to see the proper showdown that he deserved (maybe even involving Carnage too). I think this is what Rami wanted to do but the producers pressured him to capitalise on Venom right now.

MJ's departure would also have left the field open for Gwen to have a bigger role in S4, possibly leading to her ultimate fate in S5 at the hands of the Hobgoblin, perhaps making way for the Black Cat in S5 and/or S6.

Rumour is that Rami favoured the Vulture for S4 and the producers weren't happy with that. Vulture would be an odd choice but no more a second fiddle villain than Scarecrow was in Batman I suppose.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 10:27 AM   #210
DarKush
Rear Admiral

^
I like a lot how you envisioned a continuation of the Raimi films. That feels pretty organic. I would've liked to see that, especially a Venom & Carnage duo.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote