RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,674
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 585
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate The Amazing Spider-Man?
Excellent 23 33.82%
Good 29 42.65%
Fair 10 14.71%
Poor 4 5.88%
Terrible 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 8 2012, 04:31 PM   #181
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile
Re: The Amazing Spider-Man Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

sonak wrote: View Post
Isn't Spidey a little too casual with his identity, though? He reveals his face to a kid who's DEFINITELY old enough to remember and describe it. He lets Gwen know. He LEAVES A CAMERA WITH HIS NAME ON IT when he's fighting as Spider-Man. Then he gets captured and discovered by Stacy's dad.

Over half the main characters in this movie knew his identity by the end it seemed like. I'm surprised Flash Thompson wasn't told.
To be fair though, I think a little kid's life is more important than preserving his identity, but I did agree that it seemed a lot of people knew. The leaving the camera with his name on it was particularly stupid

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 04:34 PM   #182
Warped9
Admiral

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
Isn't Spidey a little too casual with his identity, though? He reveals his face to a kid who's DEFINITELY old enough to remember and describe it. He lets Gwen know. He LEAVES A CAMERA WITH HIS NAME ON IT when he's fighting as Spider-Man. Then he gets captured and discovered by Stacy's dad.

Over half the main characters in this movie knew his identity by the end it seemed like. I'm surprised Flash Thompson wasn't told.
To be fair though, I think a little kid's life is more important than preserving his identity, but I did agree that it seemed a lot of people knew. The leaving the camera with his name on it was particularly stupid
I half expected him to tell Aunt May at the end. At least Raimi kept MJ in the dark until the second film. And Raimi's Aunt May still doesn't know (although sometimes I wonder if she suspected).
Old July 8 2012, 04:48 PM   #183
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^He didn't need to, it was clear that May was supposed to have figured it out.
Old July 8 2012, 04:51 PM   #184
Warped9
Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
^^^He didn't need to, it was clear that May was supposed to have figured it out.
Yeah, that conversation in May's back yard while she's packing up her stuff to move (SM2) really makes you believe she knows.

One thing about Peter Parker in all four Spidey films: Peter periodically does not-so-bright things. But in the character's defence he is supposed to be a kid, a young adult, and they're prone to having less-than-bright moments. Hell, there are grown adults who are supposed to know better that do stupid things all the time (collectively speaking).
Old July 8 2012, 04:54 PM   #185
Mr Light
Admiral

As someone who felt luke warm on all three Rami movies, I felt lukewarm on this one as well. The action scenes were cool, but there were hardly any and it was 2h15m long. Spider-Man had a sense of humor, thank god. Garfield was a much better pick than Maguire.

But the Lizard did not look good. No snout? No white lab coat? A silly nit perhaps but that's what makes him look cool. Otherwise he's just a dinosaur monster.

And he doesn't become Spider-Man for an hour into the movie? I just saw this origin story ten years ago, and it didn't rivet me to the screen then, either. Some origins, like Batman's, are epic enough to sustain interest, but Spidey's is just a teen soap opera.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 04:56 PM   #186
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^Yes as to Raimi. But also the new movie. Sally Field is a great ctress. If she looks thoughtful and scared as she looks at Peter when hearing about the vigilante, she's communicating on purpose that May is suspicious. When she looks appalled and proud and stoic and doesn't ask questions when he comes back victorious, she's communicating that May knows.
Old July 8 2012, 04:58 PM   #187
Warped9
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
But the Lizard did not look good. No snout? No white lab coat? A silly nit perhaps but that's what makes him look cool. Otherwise he's just a dinosaur monster.
Yeah, I overlooked commenting on that. I, too, was disappointed with the Lizard. Of course we know it's cgi, but I just didn't buy into his design/appearance. Maybe they did it that way to keep the eyes expressive? I also don't recall the Lizard being substantially larger than Spidey, but maybe I'm not remembering it right.
Old July 8 2012, 05:03 PM   #188
Warped9
Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
^^^Yes as to Raimi. But also the new movie. Sally Field is a great ctress. If she looks thoughtful and scared as she looks at Peter when hearing about the vigilante, she's communicating on purpose that May is suspicious. When she looks appalled and proud and stoic and doesn't ask questions when he comes back victorious, she's communicating that May knows.
Again I think it's yet another reveal too soon. For ages we wonder why no one can figure out Clark is Superman and yet in modern superhero films they can't unmask the guy soon enough or often enough.
Old July 8 2012, 06:31 PM   #189
DWF
Vice Admiral

The movie lacked some energy for me, the casting was great and I thought Emma Stone was adorable as Gwen Stacy and she had some nice chemistry with Adrew Garfield. But they did leave alot of things open so the movie felt alittle incomplete to me.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 06:44 PM   #190
Saul
Rear Admiral

Pretty disappointed with it. I felt Garfield as Peter Parker doesn't change much throughout. The character goes on a journey but he is still the same guy by the end of it and it less of a nerd than what I think Peter Parker ought to be. This is just a cool guy getting cool powers instead of below average joe getting them. Uncle Ben, Aunt May, did we need such high quality actors for these roles?

Lizard pointless.

Spider-man is all willy nilly with his true identity. No more problems balancing two lives eh?
Old July 8 2012, 07:31 PM   #191
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
^I'm pretty sure he meant that Captain Stacy's death was an element that was true to the comics, not that it was humorous.
Yes.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 08:04 PM   #192
davejames
Vice Admiral

TremblingBluStar wrote: View Post

One thing I enjoyed more about this film than the Raimi versions was the humor. Spider-Man was always a smart ass who would make wise cracks to throw off his enemies, and that was missing from the previous films.
People keep saying that, but other than the car thief scene I don't remember a whole lot of wisecracking going on.

In fact I just rewatched the first Raimi movie and I thought there was just as much joking around in that one:

"That's a cute outfit. Did your husband buy it for you?"
"Hey kiddo, let Mom and Dad talk for a minute, will ya?"
"It's you who's out, Gobby. Out of your mind."
"Whew! Beats taking the subway!"

Plus his whole demeanor was just a whole lot lighter and more fun.

Garfield certainly has his moments, but most of the time his Spidey seemed just about as dark and gloomy as his Peter Parker was in this movie.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 08:05 PM   #193
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I have to say that I'm heartily sick of reboots already. Recast, move on, whatever, you just don't need to keep hitting the reset button. Batman, Daredevil, Superman and Co. take note.
New Rule: Anyone who pays to see ASM in theaters is not allowed to complain about there being too many reboots.

This movie was a reboot. This was never a secret; the ads even played it up to the general population.

When you pay to see a movie, you cast a vote for more movies like it, regardless of what you then think of the movie, because either way, they studio's been paid.

For anyone who doesn't want to see Spidey rebooted only a decade after SM1, I have a brilliant, mind-bending strategy: don't see it!

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Having said that, although it wasn't perfect (you can nitpick for ever and a day regarding adherence to the source material) it really worked and was head and shoulders better than even the best of the Raimi's films.
So you paid to see a reboot you knew was a reboot, and rather liked it regardless?

Way to make the studios "take note" not to do any more reboots.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 08:05 PM   #194
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Taking the mask off was necessary to save the kid, and nobody knows the kid knows what he looks like.

I don't mind the ID stuff. The secret identity is, in a lot of cases, a formula that kept getting included in the comics because Superman had one and everybody was mimicking his basic story setup, and kept it up even in many instances where it doesn't make much sense (one of the things I most like about the Marvel Studios films is their willingness to modernize and dispense with the characters' totally useless secret identities). If Peter trusts Gwen (or his aunt, etc.), there's no reason for him to make a big secret out of it.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 08:07 PM   #195
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

"The Amazing Spider-Man" won it's opening weekend raking in $65 million dollars, and a six day total of $140 million (which is over what I actually predicted a month or so ago). This is also about ten million below what "Spider-Man 3" pulled in during it's opening back in 2007 as well. Fans were way more excited for 3 at the time, though than they seem to have been for this one.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni31649108/

I haven't had a chance to see it yet. I'm going on the 16th.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote