Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 18 2012, 04:15 PM   #1
1bulma1
Lieutenant Commander

Alex Kurtzman Says StarTrek XII is All About the Bad Guy

http://trekweb.com/articles/2012/06/...-Bad-Guy.shtml

I really do not like this..we are looking at another dark knight where its all about one guy stealing the spotlight.
1bulma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Alex Kurtzman Says StarTrek XII is All About the Bad Guy

Sounds good.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Kind of says the same thing, here, as reported at trekmovie.com

http://trekmovie.com/2012/06/15/alex...anel-for-sdcc/

He says sequels are about the bad guy, and they must test the heroes in some signficant way.

It dovetails with something Lindelof said as reported by trekmovie.com here:

http://trekmovie.com/2012/06/08/lind...vs-special-fx/

The antagonist is more nuanced than Nero was.

The vibe I'm getting from all this is the conflict will center around the first real serious test of Kirk's command abilities and the loyalty of this new crew to him. Cumberbatch could be a charismatic force (maybe even another Federation officer) that creates conflict among the crew and raises questions among them about Kirk's command. Kirk must rise to overcome Cumberbatch in order to keep his crew and his command together (plus at the same time, stop whatever other bad stuff Cumberbatch is up to).
In the end, the crew realizes that Kirk is indeed the type of leader who comes along infrequently. The "family" has bonded and the trust each has in the other is sealed. They are on their way to becoming the legendary crew of the Enterprise.

Of course, your interpretations may vary.
Old June 18 2012, 04:42 PM   #4
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I wonder if he's going to be a bad guy in the vein of Admiral Leyton. Someone who believes the Federation didn't do enough to save Vulcan and wants to remodel it to his liking?
Old June 18 2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

So has the Khan rumor been debunked at this point?
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 05:04 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
So has the Khan rumor been debunked at this point?
No.
Old June 18 2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Franklin
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I wonder if he's going to be a bad guy in the vein of Admiral Leyton. Someone who believes the Federation didn't do enough to save Vulcan and wants to remodel it to his liking?
Could be. I'd think an event like the destruction of Vulcan would have political, social, and military ramifications that can't be ignored. The events that caused it and how the conflict was resolved (the finding would be that it was based largely on Kirk's luck) would have to be investigated so some type of policy could be put into place to prevent something like that from happening again.

It could be Weller's character has some kind of technology that serves in this area, and Cumberbatch sees a way to use it that goes beyond what was intended. In other words, like Khan with Genesis.

The other thing going on here is this Jim Kirk is in some ways the same as Kirk at the start of TMP and TWOK. A bit uncertain in the captain's chair. The only difference is this Kirk is inexperienced, while Kirk Prime's confidence was challenged by having been away from the captain's chair for a few years.
To that end, in TMP Kirk made a big mistake that came from not being fully comfortable with his ship (the wormhole in TMP). A big part of his character arc in TMP was about him easing back into the captain's chair. In TWOK, a rusty Jim Kirk allowed the Reliant to ambush him, and the rest of the movie was basically cleaning up that mess while Kirk got back his mojo.

I'm thinking this Kirk will have an incident of his own where an error on his part leads him or others to question his command skills and adds to the conflict. And in the end, everyone comes out stronger for it.
Old June 18 2012, 05:34 PM   #8
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

1bulma1 wrote: View Post

I really do not like this..we are looking at another dark knight where its all about one guy stealing the spotlight.
Hello, substance? What you've done here, 1bulma1, is to quote the title of and post a link to a short item which—as it turns out—TrekWeb copy/pasted verbatim from iamrogue.com's page here.

Have you watched the interview clip? Do you think you could add some more substance to this topic by... I don't know... maybe giving your own reaction to what Kurtzman says in the interview, rather than reading TrekWeb's title and dashing right off to post a thread about how you don't like it?
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 06:48 PM   #9
1bulma1
Lieutenant Commander

M'Sharak wrote: View Post

Hello, substance? What you've done here, 1bulma1, is to quote the title of and post a link to a short item which—as it turns out—TrekWeb copy/pasted verbatim from iamrogue.com's page here.

Have you watched the interview clip? Do you think you could add some more substance to this topic by... I don't know... maybe giving your own reaction to what Kurtzman says in the interview, rather than reading TrekWeb's title and dashing right off to post a thread about how you don't like it?
Hello M'Sharak

I never said I did not like it....I just think a movie like star trek should not be focused on just one big bad guy.

Secondly, I am not into writing or summarising someone comments, sometimes my words get misunderstood this is why I prefer to post a link where other fans can read the writer's exact words instead of mine’s.

Now back to the topic, it looks like Cumberbatch's character based on Kurtzman's interview is going to be another Joker because:

1 Sequel is about the bad guy

2. JJ killed it ( so this means the second trek film by JJ is going to be superior to the 2009 star trek film)

3. he gave a reference to the villain in iron man 2 which to me (personal opinion) was inferior to the villain in the dark knight.

I have no doubts that Star Trek 12 will be better than Iron Man 2 and that puts the new Trek film in The Dark Knight's league. This is the reason why I made the Joker reference.

Last edited by 1bulma1; June 18 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old June 18 2012, 08:34 PM   #10
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I never said I did not like it....
Hello...

Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 09:02 PM   #11
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Busted.
Old June 18 2012, 09:04 PM   #12
1bulma1
Lieutenant Commander

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post

Hello...

What I mean is I do not like it when we have one actor that steals the show and every other actor/character takes the back seat. However this does not mean I hate the film overall.

Last edited by 1bulma1; June 19 2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old June 18 2012, 09:08 PM   #13
F. King Daniel
Admiral

If that bad guy is Sherlock, it'll be awesome. The Adventures of Evil Sherlock in Space, with small cameos from the Enterprise crew.
Old June 18 2012, 09:28 PM   #14
Franklin
Rear Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
If that bad guy is Sherlock, it'll be awesome. The Adventures of Evil Sherlock in Space, with small cameos from the Enterprise crew.
It will be awesome only if he says the following line, "I am your cousin, Spock."
Old June 18 2012, 11:37 PM   #15
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post

Hello...

What I mean is I do not like it when we have one actor that stills the show and every other actor/character takes the back sit. However this does not mean I hate the film overall.
Like that Khan guy?