Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old August 10 2012, 04:58 PM   #46
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Re: NHL Offseason

Josan wrote: View Post
Bettman just announced there will be a lockout if there's no new CBA by September 15th. If it happens, that will make three during his time as commissioner. That has to be a record for professional sports.
Yeah, Bettman is a really good PR guy, especially after Fehr comes out and says the players will negotiate in good faith and play without a contract, where they have so much more to use.

His handlers really failed on this one.
Old August 10 2012, 05:38 PM   #47
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Danny99 wrote: View Post
Josan wrote: View Post
Bettman just announced there will be a lockout if there's no new CBA by September 15th. If it happens, that will make three during his time as commissioner. That has to be a record for professional sports.
Yeah, Bettman is a really good PR guy, especially after Fehr comes out and says the players will negotiate in good faith and play without a contract, where they have so much more to use.

His handlers really failed on this one.
This will be, what, the third lockout under his watch? That's not a good track record for any commissioner, let alone the second worst commissioner in any of the 4 major sports.
Old August 13 2012, 05:17 PM   #48
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Christ, the owners are morons. "This CBA that we designed to rape you? Yeah, we need you to save us from it."
Old August 14 2012, 09:08 PM   #49
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

Indeed. The owners are the ones handing out ridiculous contracts. Of course the players are going to take the money. But still, at the end of the day, no athlete is worth millions a year for a game and hockey is probably the lowest paying of all the pro sports. Baseball contracts are even more insane.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Old August 15 2012, 05:58 AM   #50
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Fitting video for the sawed off little runt.
Old August 15 2012, 04:39 PM   #51
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Kudos to the NHLPA for not going crazy in their proposal. A lot of it seems to be tweaks, which, at least to me, shows that they are in for the good of the sport and not for the money (even though they are making millions)
Old September 1 2012, 02:59 AM   #52
Josan
Commodore

Would it be a safe bet that there will be no NHL hockey this season?

Talks, if you can call a handful of one to two hour meetings talks, have ended with no further meetings scheduled.

Billionaire owners and millionaire players whining about money doesn't exactly elicit any sympathy. Even less when you consider all the people, that don't make millions, working in the arenas that will be out of work and then there are all the players in Europe that will lose their spots when the NHLers go over to Europe to play as they've already stated they'll do.

You know, if the players did something decent, like charity games here in NA instead of taking jobs away from others, then maybe they'd earn some small measure of respect but most people I've talked to could care less if there's no season.

What I wouldn't mind seeing is the league shutting down for a season, maybe two, all that money lost, the league contracting due to the loses and gee, guess what? The owners lose and the players lose because with fewer teams there will be fewer jobs and they'll have done it to themselves. Oh, and I'd like to see the owners wise up and fire Bettman. This will be the third time under his tenure and the NHL is the only professional sport to have ever lost an entire season.
Old September 1 2012, 12:39 PM   #53
Danny99
Vice Admiral

I would like to see how Bettman tap dances to keep his job. He's like a cat with nine lives.

The groups should have set September 1st as a date to bring in an outside arbiter. We all knew when the last CBA was signed that when it expired, the players and the league would not be seeing eye to eye on a new one. They could have at least not wasted a season getting this thing done.

Another baffling thing: Owners want to stop those outrageously long, front-loaded contracts? He's a wild theory: stop offering them! If it isn't offered or given when requested to the player, they will go away. Sure, you may lose a good player to a maverick owner, but if they all said "No, we are taking a stance on this", things would change.
Old September 4 2012, 01:56 PM   #54
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Do yourself a favor and watch one of the best hockey montages ever made. Make your voice heard. Let the NHL know we don't want a lockout!
Old September 4 2012, 02:37 PM   #55
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

The sad part is, the results of the last lockout did a lot of good for Hockey. I think it's as strong as it's ever been. And they're not fighting over new issues. They're fighting over the same issues. If you weren't happy last time, it would have been better to keep killing it then. A second season-long lockout after both the NBA and NFL managed to get their shit together would go pretty far towards killing the league. There has to be wiggle room here, but it's certainly not getting accomplished before September 15.
Old September 6 2012, 06:29 AM   #56
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Old September 7 2012, 02:34 AM   #57
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Apparently the only owners who have been involved in negotiations thus far are Leipold (MIN), Jacobs (BOS), Edwards (CGY) and Leonsis (WAS). All big-market dudes. The NHL probably wants to keep the small-market owners and large-market owners away from one another, as part of the NHLPA's plan was to pit them against one another.

Get ready for no hockey.
Old September 7 2012, 09:54 PM   #58
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Sorry for being off topic because this isn't exactly about NHL but EBEL, but I think this is too cool not to share with you.

Anyway, Croatian team "Medvescak" (AKA "Zagreb Bears") is going play three of their home games in the ancient Roman amphitheater in Pula (Croatia). The rink is being set up right now, and the first game is set to take place on September 14.

Old September 8 2012, 11:26 AM   #59
Josan
Commodore

Ah. And here I thought Bettman was going to continue expanding the league in non-traditional markets.
Old September 11 2012, 12:07 PM   #60
Mach5
Rear Admiral

A fresh pic from last night:

Closed Thread