Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 2 2012, 09:29 AM   #91
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

Decent episode with a sweet ending. I love the ever-developing relationship between Fry and Leela. I also enjoyed The Flintstones reference.

Disruptor wrote: View Post
Not as gross as anticipated. It was okay. Had its moments, but I suspect many of us will be annoyed by the mispronounciation of "neanderthal".
I'm not bothered by this. Some words are bound to be mangled after a 1000 years. Just looke at some Latin words. Hell, the whole English language should be vastly differently. *shrug*

Which Planet Express character hasn't led an army against civilization? I'm sure they'll get to them soon. "Scruffy's gonna do a regime change."
This needs to happen.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 01:22 PM   #92
Disruptor
Commodore

Note that Fry lost all his 20th century clothes, including his lucky pants.

But I bet he's wearing copies of the same clothes next episode.
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 02:47 PM   #93
Christopher
Writer

Not bad. The Fry-Leela stuff was rather sweet, especially the ending.

Emh wrote: View Post
Not as gross as anticipated. It was okay. Had its moments, but I suspect many of us will be annoyed by the mispronounciation of "neanderthal".
I'm not bothered by this. Some words are bound to be mangled after a 1000 years.
It's nowhere near that old. The term was coined in 1864 after a variant spelling of Neandertal, the German name for the Neander Valley where their remains were first identified. And the "-thal" spelling was an archaic variant even at the time. It's always been pronounced "-tal" for as long as it's been used as a name for that subspecies.

I was more bothered by the outdated assumptions about Neanderthals here. It's now believed that they were a lot smarter and more sophisticated than we used to think, perhaps on a par with us or even more so in certain ways. And genetic studies have proven that they did interbreed with us -- indeed, it's possible they never really died out, just blended so thoroughly with H. sapiens that they merged into a single population.

Also it seemed odd that these Neanderthals who'd been cut off from human civilization for 30,000 years spoke English.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 10:52 PM   #94
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I meant 1000 years from the show's perspective. I don't care if the voice actors mess it up.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 11:33 PM   #95
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

I finally got around to seeing the robot Hermes ep (I'd have watched the new one too, but I had to get up for work this morning ). It was kind of hit or miss, but I would like a robotic body like the one Hermes got.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2012, 07:28 AM   #96
Destructor
Commodore

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Okay ep I guess. I'm not terribly interested in Hermes or Amy centric episodes, and Zoidberg is a hit or miss proposition.
Zoidberg is, by far and away, my favourite Futurama character. I just love him so much.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 10:46 PM   #97
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Here are a couple of fun images I recently found around the Interwebs. Not sure who deserves credit for the first one.

Old August 8 2012, 11:24 PM   #98
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ Wow, the X-Men haven't looked that good in years.
Old August 8 2012, 11:33 PM   #99
JD
Admiral

Those are great.
Old August 8 2012, 11:36 PM   #100
Showdown
Fleet Captain

Finally got around to watching some Futurama episodes.

- Six Million Dollar Mon
A little predictable, but still a great episode. Hermes really loses himself adding robot parts to 'improve' himself, even at the risk of losing everything. Zoidberg is a good friend, better than Hermes deserves. Another robot dies. First Calculon dies, now Roberto.

- Fun on a Bun
The age old question is finally answered. Who will win in a fight, cavemen or astronauts? It's cool to see Fry and Leela's relation progress. Fry gets to show off his fighting skills. I like Zap's line, "In the face of overwhelming defeat, let's call it a draw." Classic Zap. Nitpicking here, but couldn't they just resurrect him like in Rebirth?

Over-analysis of Futurama episodes

Hermes turning into a robot can represent multiple things. In the episode, he changes from human, to cyborg, and finally to robot. As Hermes gets more and more robot parts, he loses his humanity. As human society becomes more advance, we lose touch with nature. Cyborg Hermes say he is still human because he still has a human brain, and later goes out to replace it with a robot one. Sounds like the Terminator and the Matrix films. When robots, machines, or computer AI think for us, that's when we become too dependent on machines. And like that episode and those movies, we'll be in big trouble.

But it also can be a message about cosmetic surgery. I'm not talking about reconstructive surgery, but cosmetic surgery to look younger or more attractive. Botox, nose jobs, breast implants, etc. All these changes are supposed to 'improve' a person. A little may not be harmful, but too much, it is very harmful. We've seen celebrities and normal people with too much surgery. Some of them look terrible. It’s the same with Hermes. A chest harpoon is fairly invisible. Soon, he doesn't even look like himself or even human.

In Fun on a Bun, it's old vs new. Because it's new, it's automatically better. Some will think the new Oktoberfest is better as well as people in more advance societies are better, but that's not the case. While lots of new stuff is better, sometimes the older or classic is better. At the end, the neantherthals win the fight and people enjoy the 20th century Oktoberfest. Also, like previous Futurama episodes, cultures and customs change over thousands of years just like real life.

These are fun. Let's do more.

Remember the Thief of Baghead. Langdon Cobb's bag over his head represents a mask. When we see actors on screen, we don't see real them. We see the character they play. How they act are, for the most part, scripted. Cobb feeding off of admiration is really celebrities' careers depend of fans liking them. Bender trying to take a picture of Cobb's face is really the paparazzi trying to take a picture of what celebrities really are in normal lives. Disregarding personal privacy. The lifeforce being sucked out is just regular people losing a bit of our souls when we violate other people's privacy. Okay, I'll stop now for now.
Old August 9 2012, 12:29 AM   #101
Christopher
Writer

Speaking of fun online images pertaining to Futurama:

http://io9.com/5933002/futurama-art-...-harsh-reality

Old August 9 2012, 02:21 AM   #102
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Wow. Morbo is awesome. Here's the big version of the Marvel pic.

Old August 9 2012, 04:47 AM   #103
Christopher
Writer

"Free Will Hunting" was perhaps the best episode of the season so far. As usual, it plays fast and loose with Bender's nature, abilities, and history; after all, didn't Bender overcome his programming and gain free will when he was electrocuted in the pilot episode? It also embraces Small-Universe Syndrome more than ever by making Farnsworth the programmer of all robots, although I suppose there's some precedent for that in earlier Mom episodes. But it's in service to a story with a nice philosophical angle to it, a solid SF-type plot using the show's robot character as a vehicle for talking allegorically about questions of human nature.

And really, it's not like the episode ever actually confirmed that Bender lacked free will. If anything, it did the opposite; despite what everyone said about him lacking free will, he was clearly making decisions throughout even when he believed he couldn't. And the nature of Farnsworth's device, the impossibility of knowing whether it was turned on or off, was something of a symbol for the question of free will in general.

Nice to see the "Robot Homeworld" again too. We haven't seen it since "Fear of a Bot Planet" way back in season one. A lot of the material was just rehashed gags -- Silence! But there was enough new stuff to make it interesting.

Old August 9 2012, 01:31 PM   #104
Mr Light
Admiral

I'd say the ep showed that robots DO have free will they just think they don't.

I always remember the robot villager from the Honking saying "I choose to believe what I was programmed to believe!"

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 02:50 PM   #105
Christopher
Writer

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I'd say the ep showed that robots DO have free will they just think they don't.
Which is pretty much what the episode implied throughout. This wasn't a story about whether robots have free will, it was a story about how Bender was affected by his belief that he didn't have free will.

My view on the subject, if I may wax philosophical for a bit, is that free will isn't a yes-or-no question, that there's no such thing as absolute free will or absolute lack of it. There are simply different levels of constraints upon our degrees of freedom, and those constraints change in different contexts. For instance, if I'm in an open field, I have the freedom to choose where I want to move anywhere I want in two dimensions, but very little freedom to choose how I move in the third. However, if I then fall off a cliff, my freedom to choose my direction of motion becomes immensely more constrained. Similarly, a person living as part of a society has more constraints on personal freedom than a person living alone on a desert island, because that person is constrained by the need to consider other people's rights and entitlements. So it's a balance of different freedoms that places some constraints on all of them.

On a psychological or neurological level, our free will is constrained by our personalities, our beliefs, our inhibitions, our hangups. We might theoretically be free to make a choice in either of two ways, but our personalities might make it impossible for us to make one of those choices (for instance, there's no way I'd ever choose to become a beekeeper because I'm phobic about insects). Sometimes our own habits of thought trap us into consistently making a choice the same way over and over (for instance, always sabotaging relationships, always being too afraid to ask out a girl even when she's clearly interested, always choosing to get involved with an abusive man, etc.), and it may take a monumental effort to break those habits and reshape the constraints on our free will.

So it's relative. We have some freedom of choice, but it's within various limits, some external, some internal. Bender has the freedom to choose whether or not he commits a crime, but as a matter of habit and inclination, he's going to choose to commit it, unless some other powerful constraint comes into play to compel him to choose otherwise. For instance, if he has to choose between committing a crime and letting Fry die, he'll probably wrestle with it for a while, but will ultimately have no choice but to save his best friend.

And it's really no different for the rest of us. We call it programming where robots are concerned, but is it really so different from our own personalities, habits, and reflexes? Fry is programmed to be a doofus. Leela is programmed to be aggressive. Hermes is programmed to be a bureaucrat. Our actions and choices are shaped by who we are, by how our innate psychology and lifetime habits dictate our choices. Perhaps it's not so much a question of whether we have free will, but whether we choose to exert it. Most of us never really do, because we just unthinkingly follow our pre-existing inclinations and don't stop to question if there's another way. Exercising free will is about confronting our own "programming" and seeking to rise above it. And that's what Bender was doing here.

And it's so refreshing to have another Futurama episode that inspires thoughtful discussion like this.