RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,678
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 478
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 25 2013, 09:51 PM   #196
Pondwater
Commodore

Re: Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

Loved that bit with his crappy HAL9000 play.
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 09:54 PM   #197
Christopher
Writer

Pondwater wrote: View Post
Loved that bit with his crappy HAL9000 play.
Which was a parody of Hal Holbrook's famous one-man show about Mark Twain. Layers!

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 10:04 PM   #198
Orac
Admiral

DAISY!!! MY MIND IS GOING!!!

ENTER | TOS Avatar Contest #57: The Enterprise Incident
Orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 09:15 PM   #199
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

That was fantastic! From Robot Devil's torture, Calculon's genuine acting and the HAL 9000 play to the science/magic and Hollywood gags and the heartfelt story that killed Calculon all over again and actually kept him dead, this was not only the best episode of the season, but I'd argue it's the best episode since "The Late Philip J. Fry."

Christopher wrote: View Post
My one disappointment was that the invasion by Morbo's people was just a throwaway gag at the start. I've been wishing for years that they'd do an episode about Morbo, something that required him to put his money where his mouth is -- either reveal that his bluster about destroying us all is a cover for his insecurities or something, or have the invasion actually happen and have everyone surprised that his threats were genuine all along. So to see it treated as an afterthought was disappointing.
I agree it's a little disappointing to see that opportunity missed out on, but I never expected to see it be more than a throwaway gag.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 02:30 AM   #200
JD
Admiral

Yeah, that was the best episode in a very long time. I completely forgot that they had killed Calculon.
Old August 1 2013, 06:55 PM   #201
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

A.V. Club didn't seem to enjoy it, but I thought "Assie Come Home" was a lot of fun. Was it the greatest Futurama episode? No, nor was it one of the best of the season, but I thought it was very enjoyable with a lot of great laughs.

Old August 1 2013, 07:09 PM   #202
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

I loved the new character.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 10:34 PM   #203
JD
Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
A.V. Club didn't seem to enjoy it, but I thought "Assie Come Home" was a lot of fun. Was it the greatest Futurama episode? No, nor was it one of the best of the season, but I thought it was very enjoyable with a lot of great laughs.
That sums up my feeling pretty well too. It wasn't anything amazing, but I enjoyed nevertheless.
Old August 2 2013, 09:19 AM   #204
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Aaaand, of course, I forgot again. Thank goodness for DVDs.
Old August 2 2013, 11:04 PM   #205
Redfern
Commodore

You might as well give it up, RJD. You've had nothing but the worst luck trying to record these last episodes. May I ask what is usually happening at 10 PM Wednesdays (assuming you're in the Eastern time zone) that makes you forget about the show?

Please don't get upset. But the way you've described the events make them read like a "comedy of errors". If I saw this in a sit-com I'd be rolling my eyes in disbelief and "arguing" with the TV, "Oh, come on! No one has a streak of luck that bad!"

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 09:34 AM   #206
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Nothing special happens at that particular time, I've just been forgetful. I've had a lot of distractions lately.
Old August 3 2013, 04:21 PM   #207
Christopher
Writer

I liked this last episode for the most part, but I felt the ending was too callous and undermined what came before. And it was hardly necessary to maintain the status quo, since Bender could've just gotten a replacement part and it wouldn't have affected later episodes. Indeed, he could've liked his new one so much that he'd instantly forget his sentiment toward the original and trash-talk it.

Old August 4 2013, 04:04 PM   #208
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I finally caught up with the last two episodes (Calculon 2.0, Assie Come Home).

I thought both of these were terrific. They had the old feel to them.

Lots of laughs, lots of cool references (like the guy who sold Fry's "horn").

I'm not sure what they're doing, but these are much better than most recent episodes. Here's hoping the show goes out with a bang, not a whimper.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 05:53 PM   #209
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

I enjoyed "Leela and the Genestalk." Maybe a little heavy on the social commentary but it was still a great adventure with a side of solid Fry/Leela relationship development and Fry/Bender friendship banter with plenty of great jokes. That being said, as we get closer to the end, I would like to see more adventures for the Professor, Hermes, Amy and Dr. Zoidberg, although it seems like I will get my wish for Zoidberg next week at least.

"Whoa, remember that mural on my cousin's van? It's like it came to life!"
"I keep telling you, we didn't grow up together!"

"I'll bend the door open."
"You can't bend a wooden door."
"I know that and you know that, but this door looks pretty stupid."

Old August 8 2013, 06:20 PM   #210
Christopher
Writer

This one was okay, but not particularly good. The "Jack and the Beanstalk" stuff was overdone. And Mom's portrayal was rather strange here. For one thing, why would someone who's always specialized in robotics suddenly be into genetic engineering? And for another thing, why would someone who's always been evil and greedy suddenly be so eager to help feed the starving masses? I guess the writers expected the viewers to be on Leela's side and buy into the kneejerk Luddite assumption that GMOs are evil, but the episode pretty much disproved that at the end. Which is a stance I agree with wholeheartedly, but it came at the cost of portraying Mom completely out of character, no longer villainously greedy but just reckless in pursuit of benevolent goals. It didn't make sense. I could've bought a different character in the role, but it seemed the only reason they put Mom in this story was so they could use the "Momsanto" pun.

I did like the way they carried forward the thread that Fry loves Leela no matter what she looks like. That's a nice bit of character continuity with past episodes where that theme came up, and it's very sweet as well.