Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 19 2013, 04:18 AM   #181
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

It was definitely better than the nature episode, I truly hated that one. The Scooby and Joe ones were alright. Didn't care for the Smurfs one. I remember liking the first one with the 80s arcade graphics and anime style.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 04:27 AM   #182
Christopher
Writer

It's interesting that everyone sees the middle segment as a Smurfs riff when it really drew more on Strawberry Shortcake, a show that was based on a toy line for young girls. But then, that was apparently a series of annual specials rather than a full series, so maybe that's why it's less well remembered. Or maybe it's just that a lot of male viewers never saw the show. I was aware of the franchise from the commercials, but I can't say I ever watched it.

I suppose there were a few Smurf-based elements to it, like everyone being the same color. The Professor did have a Gargamel-like quality, though I think he was based on the Strawberry Shortcake villain, who lived in a large hilltop residence made of metal cookware, according to Wikipedia; the rendering here of the Planet Express building seemed to fit that description somewhat.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 04:37 AM   #183
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

you guys are crazy. last nights ep was great. i was laughing the entire time, and its been awhile since i thoroughly enjoyed an episode that much.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 04:47 AM   #184
JD
Admiral

Yeah, I wasn't to thrilled with this one either. The only one of the shows I watched was Scooby-Doo, so I that one was OK. But I've never seen either of the other two, so they really didn't do anything for me. I did find the blatant product placement in the Strawberry Shortcake one, pretty funny, but that was about it.
I ended falling asleep about 5 or 10 minutes into the reairing of last week's, so I still haven't gotten to see that one. Hopefully I'll get to watch it when it pops up on Netflix.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 05:30 AM   #185
TemporalFlux
Commodore

The show was bad, and you should feel bad!
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 09:28 AM   #186
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Christopher wrote: View Post
It's interesting that everyone sees the middle segment as a Smurfs riff when it really drew more on Strawberry Shortcake, a show that was based on a toy line for young girls.
I never saw either show; I was going by the fact that everything was the same color and they were using made-up words derived from purple.
Old July 19 2013, 01:34 PM   #187
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
you guys are crazy. last nights ep was great. i was laughing the entire time, and its been awhile since i thoroughly enjoyed an episode that much.
I thought that was the best one of this season so far.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 06:28 PM   #188
Beagleman
Captain

1001001 wrote: View Post
Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
I thought that was the best one of this season so far.
I'm with you guys, haven't laugehd that much during any other episode this season!
Beagleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 11:42 PM   #189
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Scooby Doo was Ok, Strawberry Smurfcake kinda sucked, and I laughed my ass off at Nixon censoring GI Joe.
Old July 22 2013, 08:52 PM   #190
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

I liked the Scooby-Doo riff.

Having the Harlem Globetrotters appear was perfect, considering they've been on both Futurama and Scooby-Doo.

I always enjoy George Takei whenever he makes a guest appearance somewhere.

I love how during the chase scene they appeared to start that classic Scooby-Doo bit where they all randomly go in and out of the multiple doors in the hallway, only to have them realistically go through just one door, and that's it!

“I would never have gotten away with it regardless of you meddling kids.”

Yoda wrote: View Post
and I laughed my ass off at Nixon censoring GI Joe.
Me too. The bits that got the biggest laughs out of me were the reversing of the school blowing up with “*patriotic peacekeepers who rebuild schools with their bullet-sucking vacuum tanks*”, and "That'll blow them straight to h-*church*!” Oh, and "*I landed the plane safely next to this naturally occurring fireball!*"

ETA: Here's the Futurama Comic-Con panel, where the cast does a table read of the entire first act of the series finale. Spoilers of course.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 09:07 PM   #191
Christopher
Writer

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
I love how during the chase scene they appeared to start that classic Scooby-Doo bit where they all randomly go in and out of the multiple doors in the hallway, only to have them realistically go through just one door, and that's it!
I saw what they were going for there, but it didn't make me laugh. Just staring at a motionless scene for many seconds isn't much of a punch line, not without some further payoff.

Also, given that the plot involved a cloning machine, there was a perfect setup for a gag where we see the usual running-through-many-doors gag and then it turns out that it was a bunch of different copies of the characters running through different doors and finally running into one another. That seemed like a missed opportunity.

Old July 25 2013, 03:40 AM   #192
Christopher
Writer

"Calculon 2.0" was awesome. It more than makes up for the disaster that was last week's show, and has supplanted "The Inhuman Torch" as the funniest, most moving episode of the season. The Professor's "science" to resurrect Calculon was hilarious. The story of Calculon's comeback was solidly funny and a good character story, and I loved the arcs Calculon and Leela went through. The climax was great, and though the outcome for Calculon was a bit disappointing, the Robot Devil's final punchline was magnificent.

Most of all, in the parts where Calculon lost his bluster and became truly humble, it gave Maurice LaMarche a chance to show what a really superb actor he can be. That was really moving.

My one disappointment was that the invasion by Morbo's people was just a throwaway gag at the start. I've been wishing for years that they'd do an episode about Morbo, something that required him to put his money where his mouth is -- either reveal that his bluster about destroying us all is a cover for his insecurities or something, or have the invasion actually happen and have everyone surprised that his threats were genuine all along. So to see it treated as an afterthought was disappointing.

Old July 25 2013, 09:38 AM   #193
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Forgot again. Lucky for me they always repeat the episode the following week.
Old July 25 2013, 10:09 AM   #194
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Futurama may be ending, but Planet Express and her crew will be seen again afterward... on The Simpsons.
Old July 25 2013, 09:42 PM   #195
T J
Commodore

Ahhhh.. Now that was damned funny. Calculon's resurrection was great. I thought thay would just flip his on/off switch to on... lol, love Profs 666 ... very scientific!