Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 10 2012, 01:44 PM   #31
Christopher
Writer

Re: DS9 - Where to start?

theblitz wrote: View Post
So "Pocket" essentially licensed rights to create the continuous series of DS9 books?

Are there other series that contradict this one are is only this one allowed?
The publisher Simon & Schuster, whose imprints include Pocket Books and Gallery Books, has an exclusive license from CBS Studios (which is owned by the same conglomerate) to publish prose fiction based on Star Trek. It's had that license since 1981, when CBS Studios was still called Paramount (to put it simply). That means that, most of the time, it's been the only company allowed to publish novels or stories based on ST, although there have been a couple of small exceptions; briefly in the late '90s, the revived Amazing Stories magazine obtained a license to publish short fiction based on The Next Generation and Voyager, and just recently Star Trek Magazine published an original short story based on the Star Trek Online computer game. Pocket/S&S used to have the license to ST nonfiction as well, but now that license has gone elsewhere.

There is also a separate license to publish ST fiction in comic-book form, and this has been held by many publishers over the decades: Gold Key in the '60s and '70s, Marvel Comics following the release of the first movie in 1979 (plus a separate daily comic strip from the LA Times Syndicate), DC Comics in the '80s and '90s, then Malibu (exclusively DS9), then Marvel, then Wildstorm. IDW has held the license to do TOS, TNG, and eventually DS9-based comics for the past several years, and for a while TokyoPop had its own license to do TOS and TNG comics in manga format, but they're out of business now so it's just IDW anymore.

As far as contradiction goes, all tie-ins have to stay consistent with the canon (the shows and movies), but there's no requirement that all Trek tie-ins be consistent with each other, even within a single publisher's line. Pocket maintains an overall continuity among most of its novels as a matter of authorial and editorial choice, but there have also been novels that were intentionally kept separate from that continuity. And IDW has no overall continuity among its comics; all the ones written and illustrated by John Byrne are interconnected with one another, but the rest are all standalones and aren't always consistent with one another, and a couple have even tied into the Pocket continuity while others have conflicted with it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 03:03 PM   #32
theblitz
Lieutenant Commander

@Thrawn
That is one awesome list.

Think I am gonna need the lifespan of a Vulcan to catch up.
theblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 07:17 PM   #33
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

@Thrawn
That is one awesome list.

Think I am gonna need the lifespan of a Vulcan to catch up.
Haha, thanks.

Don't feel like you have to read all of it. The middle three columns are probably best read together, but even then you could skip everything before Destiny, and just Destiny and its follow-ups make an outstanding set of narratives on their own. And everything else comes in pretty standalone chunks.

Read what sounds interesting. Anything you need to know from prior books will be explained to you. And if you want to learn more, THAT'S where the flowchart comes in
Old July 11 2012, 02:18 AM   #34
JD
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
There is also a separate license to publish ST fiction in comic-book form, and this has been held by many publishers over the decades: Gold Key in the '60s and '70s, Marvel Comics following the release of the first movie in 1979 (plus a separate daily comic strip from the LA Times Syndicate), DC Comics in the '80s and '90s, then Malibu (exclusively DS9), then Marvel, then Wildstorm. IDW has held the license to do TOS, TNG, and eventually DS9-based comics for the past several years, and for a while TokyoPop had its own license to do TOS and TNG comics in manga format, but they're out of business now so it's just IDW anymore.
If you are interested in checking out some of the pre-IDW comic books, a few years ago a company called GIT Corp released a DVD containing almost every comic released by Gold Key, Marvel, DC, and Wildstorm. It doesn't have a couple of X-Men crossover issues, but I think those are the only non-IDW comics not on the disc.
Old July 11 2012, 02:39 AM   #35
Christopher
Writer

JD wrote: View Post
It doesn't have a couple of X-Men crossover issues, but I think those are the only non-IDW comics not on the disc.
The TokyoPop mangas aren't included either. Also, the Klingon language variant of Starfleet Academy #18 is missing, despite the box claiming it's included.

Old July 11 2012, 03:14 AM   #36
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Hmmm. I have that disk and I wasn't aware there were other X-Men issues. I wonder what the problem with including them was?

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 09:07 PM   #37
JD
Admiral

I would assume the license only included Trek.
Old July 11 2012, 09:29 PM   #38
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

There is one Xmen crossover issue included though. I wonder if the missing ones in question were published as Xmen titles instead of Star Trek titles.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 10:01 PM   #39
Christopher
Writer

No, neither of the X-Men crossovers is included in the Star Trek: The Complete Comics Collection DVD-ROM, at least not the edition I have.

Old July 13 2012, 02:02 AM   #40
JD
Admiral

Nor the one I have.
Old July 23 2012, 03:07 AM   #41
JWolf
Commodore

Won't let me install Nook cos I am in Israel.
How stupid.

Maybe I when I am in the UK next week it will allow me.

If so, is it better to buy there than on Kindle?
Price seems to be the same.
Here's the thing about Kindles...

The Kindles were using Mobipocket as their main format and that format is obsolete and just plain is almost worthless. Now, Amazon decided to come out with a new format called KF8. This is similar to ePub. The eink readers that support KF8 are the Kindle with no touch and no keyboard and the Kindle Touch. But both of these have a very serious bug and the reading experience is not all that good. The bug is that the line height is too big and using line-height in the CSS to try to fix this doesn't work as they ignore line-height.

The ePub have been formatted pretty well. Better then the Mobipocket editions. Now the KF8 can look similar to the ePub, but not really because of the line height bug. So reading Star Trek on a Kindle is not optimal because if you have one of the Kindles that support KF8, when you download a recent Trek eBook you will get the KF8 version and it won't look all that nice. So the solution is to get a reader that supports ePub via ADE and you will be able to get the full enjoyment out of Star trek eBooks. I have a Sony reader PRS-650 and the PRS-T1 (current model) is very nice.

And with ePub, you are not limited to Amazon.
Old July 23 2012, 07:10 AM   #42
theblitz
Lieutenant Commander

I am using Kindle on Android.

It works ok on my Samsung P1000 but won't even load on my Xperia X10.

I wrote then a nasty review on the Amazon site about the Kindle version of "Stitch in Time". I noticed I wasn't the only one.
theblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 03:38 PM   #43
tmclough
Lieutenant Commander

JWolf wrote: View Post
So the solution is to get a reader that supports ePub via ADE and you will be able to get the full enjoyment out of Star trek eBooks.
Then how do you explain that whenever I try to read a ST ePub using ADE on my ebook reader (Astak EZReader Pocket Pro) and try to enlarge the font size, it also enlarges the margins, to such a degree that eventually there are more margins than actual text?

[ETA]My point being, ePub is as perfect as you like to claim it is.[/ETA]

My solution, BTW, is to strip the DRM and use the CoolReader software that comes with the firmware.
Old July 23 2012, 04:32 PM   #44
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

The barns and noble nook tablet is a better choice and all of ds9,tng,sce, mirrror and voyager are aviable through the nook book store. And are easy to get.

And if like kirk and spock about 95% of the books are aviable including the vanguard series as well as alll the mini series.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 07:46 AM   #45
JWolf
Commodore

tmclough wrote: View Post
JWolf wrote: View Post
So the solution is to get a reader that supports ePub via ADE and you will be able to get the full enjoyment out of Star trek eBooks.
Then how do you explain that whenever I try to read a ST ePub using ADE on my ebook reader (Astak EZReader Pocket Pro) and try to enlarge the font size, it also enlarges the margins, to such a degree that eventually there are more margins than actual text?
The answer is very simple. The firmware you are using in your Astak EZReader Pocket Pro has a bug. To be honest, it's time for an upgrade. That's a rather serious bug and since Astak is no longer making readers or supporting them, you'll never get it fixed.