TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old August 3 2012, 05:58 PM   #1
jeddah
Ensign

Star trek the motion pic DE on Blu-ray Petition

Hey Guys

This is a worthy cause that we should all "like"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Pet...24844814227923
jeddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 06:38 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Star trek the motion pic DE on Blu-ray Petition

I'd rather have the Special Longer Version.
Old August 3 2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
That's what she said

I don't get the love of the longer version, though. When I watched the theatrical edition, it didn't seem as plodding. And this is coming from a guy who loves the movie. The longer edition just seemed to be more reaction shots to the FX and people repeating the same lines over and over and then different people saying the exact same lines that were just spoken by the person before.

The Director's Cut was cool, but I really like the theatrical edition. But, I'm probably in the minority on that one.
Old August 3 2012, 07:08 PM   #4
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

I like the theatrical version fine, but generally prefer the Director's cut. The SLV is simply more stuff stuck on there with no thought given to proper editing. The changing space suits, the set scaffolding, and everything extra with Sulu & Ilia is just embarrassing.

The scaffolding scene looks even more incredible in widescreen.
Old August 3 2012, 07:24 PM   #5
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
That's what she said

I don't get the love of the longer version, though. When I watched the theatrical edition, it didn't seem as plodding. And this is coming from a guy who loves the movie. The longer edition just seemed to be more reaction shots to the FX and people repeating the same lines over and over and then different people saying the exact same lines that were just spoken by the person before.

The Director's Cut was cool, but I really like the theatrical edition. But, I'm probably in the minority on that one.
I love the theatrical version. But if CBS is going to go through the effort of a second HD release for this film, I'd rather have the Special Longer Version over the Director's Edition.
Old August 3 2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Grant
Fleet Captain

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
I like the theatrical version fine, but generally prefer the Director's cut. The SLV is simply more stuff stuck on there with no thought given to proper editing. The changing space suits, the set scaffolding, and everything extra with Sulu & Ilia is just embarrassing.

Agreed.
The SLV is a mess. An example of when EVERYTHING shot is throw into a movie with no thought given to pace, mood, continuity or focus. The DVD of the DE had all the shots from the SLV included as extras--as it should be.
Seriously, if you think the SLV is the best cut of the movie--you have bad taste IMO.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 08:36 PM   #7
22 Stars
Commodore

^ This.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 08:37 PM   #8
22 Stars
Commodore

I was just writing on DD's wall on FB that I wish for the TMP-Bluray all the time.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 08:57 PM   #9
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
Count me in the minority also. I can't remember where, but I did read a review of the current TMP Blu-ray in which the journalist essentially commented the DE was pretty much a "excuse" to "allow" those who'd previously jumped on the "disparaging" bandwagon but secretly enjoyed the film to finally come out of the closet! I thought that was bang on the money.
Old August 3 2012, 09:39 PM   #10
Firebird
Lieutenant Commander

Grant wrote: View Post
ssosmcin wrote: View Post

Agreed.
The SLV is a mess. An example of when EVERYTHING shot is throw into a movie with no thought given to pace, mood, continuity or focus. The DVD of the DE had all the shots from the SLV included as extras--as it should be.
Seriously, if you think the SLV is the best cut of the movie--you have bad taste IMO.
Actually, not everything was put into the SLV. There's still the scene of Decker showing the Ilia Probe the main engineering section while Scotty gets more and more irritated.

There's also the comical "Don't look a gift Vulcan in the ears" line from McCoy that was deleted from Spock's return.

I think even the meeting between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy in the officer's lounge also exists as an alternate sequence. The scene in the revised shooting script is almost totally different dialogue-wise.

Another cut scene was during the light probe's entrance onto the bridge. Bits were deleted of the probe "killing" one of the security guards sent to the bridge.

There's also the Memory Wall sequence, which was obviously not included. And, contrary to what they say in the DE special features (that only a few lighting and costume tests were done), all of the 1st-unit shooting (involving Shatner and Nimoy) was completed during principal photography. It's been noted that the MW sequence wasn't deleted until they reached post-production on the film. I don't understand why Paramount has never come forward and admitted this.
Old August 4 2012, 03:14 AM   #11
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

I prefer the SLV version as well. The DE is the weakest of the three versions.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 08:22 AM   #12
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

The SLV is junk, and—except for a couple of bits—illustrates exactly why footage rightfully ends up on the cutting room floor.
MauriceNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 11:28 AM   #13
Orac
Admiral

There is a line from Decker in the SLV that should have been kept in the DE:

"We all create god in our own image."

Being able to watch TMP for 140 minutes is another good thing about the SLV.

(IMO)

ENTER | TOS Avatar Contest #62: Day of the Dove
Orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 04:36 PM   #14
Grant
Fleet Captain

Well of course not EVERY line shot was in the SLV, They were trying to pad the time. The way to do that is to add every cut chunk of film--not individual lines. And they couldn't add the security guard being zapped because it was never 100% finished (although that didn't stop them from adding the scaffold shot)

The DE is the weakest cut. LOL
I love deleted scenes and I wish every one was included for every movie. But trying to pretend that every single line and scene belong in a movie because 30 years ago they created a cut to fill an exact time slot is ridiculous.
On tv, In 1983 I loved seeing the scenes of Sulu & Ilia, but after viewing them a couple of times on the VHS-it's obvious they are awful and go nowhere. They were in there when Ilia was written as a continuing character for phase II. Who cares if she excites men when in 10 minutes she is going to be turned into a robot as her acting tallants warranted.

What I'll never understand is the folks who hold the theatrical as some sort of icon to be untouched and those who like the 'kitchen sink' version with every awful scene added back in.

Yes, I miss a couple of lines from the SLV "We all create god in our own image" & "We are now discussing the subject of command fitness." & "It could hold a crew of thousands/ Or a crew of a thousand ten miles tall"

Too bad they left those out IMO, but to have all that terrible doubly boring staring to get those few lines--not worth it.

But YES, they should have included the SLV via seamless branching on the Blu-ray.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 09:24 PM   #15
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Grant wrote: View Post
What I'll never understand is the folks who hold the theatrical as some sort of icon to be untouched...
Well, I certainly don't think of it in that way - an "untouchable icon", but I do maintain it's by far the best version thus far released. The movie I was awestruck by and fell in love with the very first time I saw it flicker onto the silver screen as a young boy.