Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 20 2012, 10:00 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Frakes: Early TNG Seasons Were ?Not Real Fun?

Jonathan Frakes admitted this week that it took a few years before he really got to enjoy his role as Commander Riker on Star Trek: The Next Generation. “I looked very, very stiff in those early seasons because I was so intent on living up to the vision that [Gene Roddenberry] had, and it was [...]

More...
TrekToday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 01:30 AM   #2
Mojochi
Commodore

Re: Frakes: Early TNG Seasons Were ?Not Real Fun?

As I understand it, Stewart was rather serious about the whole thing too, before everyone got him to loosen up a bit. I'm sure there was a lot of pressure to live up to, with the 20 year old film & tv franchise on the line
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 04:51 AM   #3
sonak
Vice Admiral

that, and the reality that beginnings are usually a scary time for a new and risky project. By seasons 3 or 4, it was known the show was a huge success, which helps a great deal with the "having fun" part.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 02:47 PM   #4
Gul Bones
Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can tell as the seasons went on that they all started to loosen up a little bit. Infact I hardly watch the first two seasons. It seems like an almost different show come season 3
Gul Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 04:03 PM   #5
sonak
Vice Admiral

well in a way it was, as there was a major writing change between those seasons.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 05:02 PM   #6
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

It pains me to say it, but TNG improved dramatically after Rick Berman took over.
Old June 22 2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Gul Bones wrote: View Post
You can tell as the seasons went on that they all started to loosen up a little bit. Infact I hardly watch the first two seasons. It seems like an almost different show come season 3
They are very different shows, but I'm actually really fond of those first two seasons. Not that what comes after isn't very enjoyable, but there's a real quirkiness in some of those early eps.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Alrik
Rear Admiral

^

I'm with you. I know Seasons 1 & 2 get bashed a lot, but I always enjoy rewatching them. There are some really good stories within those two seasons.
Old June 22 2012, 05:57 PM   #9
CaptainJack
Lieutenant Commander

To me the first two seasons of TNG had a very TOS feel in both the writing and set design. I often think of TNG seasons 1 & 2 as TOS phase 2... I like the fact that in the first two seasons the stories were more self contained and didnt involve Cardasians, Klingons, and Romulans as much as later seasons. The later seasons got more into the whole Federation and how they dealt with other Empires. Where as the first 2 seamed to deal with the crew and some mysterious alien life forms...
CaptainJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2012, 06:29 PM   #10
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post
It pains me to say it, but TNG improved dramatically after Rick Berman took over.
Not really, because Berman took over about midway during the first season, with Roddenberry stepping back into a supervisory role. Berman would run things by Roddenberry, who would give either a yea or nay, but Berman was running things that far back in the show.

It was Michael Piller (along with Ira Steven Behr and Ronald D. Moore) who started to inject more action into TNG during the third season.
Old June 23 2012, 10:09 PM   #11
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Gul Bones wrote: View Post
They are very different shows, but I'm actually really fond of those first two seasons. Not that what comes after isn't very enjoyable, but there's a real quirkiness in some of those early eps.
Agreed. I too have a soft spot for seasons 1 and 2 (Pulaski notwithstanding), particularly the music in those episodes. MUCH better than what came later.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2012, 10:29 PM   #12
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Egghead

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

I love the first two seasons. The show definitely hit it's stride in Season 3, but Season 2 has some of my favorite episodes of the entire series, including "Measure of a Man" and "The Royale". Also, big Pulaski fan.
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2012, 02:52 AM   #13
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Both Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner mentioned on separate Nerdist podcasts that Stewart was very serious, as Mojochi said. Apparently, Stewart was embarrassed by the childish nature of his co-workers and even gave them a "pep talk" on their behavior. Spiner mentioned that during the scene on the hill for Tasha's funeral in "Skin of Evil," Stewart finally eased up and has since credited his co-workers for giving him a sense of humor.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote