To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 6 2012, 02:56 PM   #1
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Ever been Trekked out?

I'm going through a normal phase where I don't watch any reruns, usually lasts many months, half a year, what have you..but I used to feel I'd never get tired of TOS. TOS-R refreshed my interest for awhile but I haven't watched TOS-R in over a year, and I have no interest in watching or reading about it anymore, despite having the show on my Netflix. It seems as if I am finally TOSed out after all these many years. The only ST shows I seem to be interested in watching in the near term are STNG, Enterprise, and to a lesser degree DS9. Has anyone ever hit the wall in terms of ST fandom??

RAMA
Old June 6 2012, 03:13 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Ever been Trekked out?

RAMA wrote: View Post
I'm going through a normal phase where I don't watch any reruns, usually lasts many months, half a year, what have you..but I used to feel I'd never get tired of TOS. TOS-R refreshed my interest for awhile but I haven't watched TOS-R in over a year, and I have no interest in watching or reading about it anymore, despite having the show on my Netflix. It seems as if I am finally TOSed out after all these many years. The only ST shows I seem to be interested in watching in the near term are STNG, Enterprise, and to a lesser degree DS9. Has anyone ever hit the wall in terms of ST fandom??

RAMA
Yeah. But it's usually an all or nothing proposition for me. Though lately I've found myself more interested in watching the films instead of the series.

It's cyclical, with football season coming up and the releases of Madden 2013 and NCAA Football, this is the time of year my Trek watching begins to decline.
Old June 6 2012, 03:23 PM   #3
sonak
Vice Admiral

not me. There's too much "out there" in terms of available Trek material, between the movies, shows, books, internet sites, fanfic, etc.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 03:31 PM   #4
BillJ
Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
not me. There's too much "out there" in terms of available Trek material, between the movies, shows, books, internet sites, fanfic, etc.
I think that's part of the problem, there's too much Trek out there.
Old June 6 2012, 03:49 PM   #5
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I reached my fill of Trek around 2003. TOS, TNG, & DS9 had me hooked from beginning to end, but I started drifting away during VOY (aside from TAS, it became the first Trek series I never saw every episode of). ENT had me for a short while, but that didn't last too long and I eventually stopped watching Trek altogether.

These days, I'm a lot more ambivalent about Trek now. Star Trek XI was nice, and I do plan on seeing Star Trek XII, but I'm not as excited about Trek like I once was. For me, it wasn't too much Trek, just too much safe Trek...
Old June 6 2012, 04:01 PM   #6
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
Has anyone ever hit the wall in terms of ST fandom??
Definitely. By now, the only series I watch is TNG, which has always been my favorite. Even that I tend to do in spurts. I watched all seven seasons six or seven months ago. Hadn't watched even a single episode for a couple years before that and haven't watched any since. Maybe in another six months...
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

I've never been one to grab an episode and watch it. I just watch the whole Series straight through, then put the DVDs back up on shelf, and move on to the next Series I want to rewatch. So, I may go a couple years in between rewatches of Farscape, Trek, Babylon 5, Doctor Who, etc.

So, no, not a matter of being Trekked out, simply a matter of moving on to another Series until Trek comes back into the rotation. I watched DS9 (2nd rewatch), then Enterprise (1st Rewatch) and now on Voyager (Up to episode 6.19, first rewatch, missed alot during First Run). Then I'll move on to TNG or TOS/TAS and when both of those are done, I'll probably do Stargate SG1, and Trek will sit waiting for me for a year or two until it comes back around.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 04:26 PM   #8
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Not yet. I never get tired of TOS, and watch at least a few random episodes a month

As for the TNG and DS9, I tend to go through a season set quickly when the mood strikes me, which is less frequent, maybe a couple times a year.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 04:33 PM   #9
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

See, this is exactly why I'm glad to have the whole thing in DVD. When I feel like watching an episode or movie, I do, and if I don't, they sit on the shelf.

For the last month or so, they've been on the shelf, but they're there if (and when) I want to see them again.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 04:48 PM   #10
BillJ
Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
See, this is exactly why I'm glad to have the whole thing in DVD. When I feel like watching an episode or movie, I do, and if I don't, they sit on the shelf.

For the last month or so, they've been on the shelf, but they're there if (and when) I want to see them again.
I don't think I've touched a physical Trek series disc since all the series came to Netflix, with the exception of TNG: The Next Level.

Shouldn't this be in General Trek Discussion?
Old June 6 2012, 06:49 PM   #11
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Currently I'm only watching TNG because it's the only one shown on cable right now but then I'm only watching certain episodes not all of them. My Trek DVDs were lost in a move and I can't afford to replace them so I'm relying on cable to see them. Even if I had the DVDs I'd probablynot watch them all that much. I'm pretty Trekked out at the moment...even the novels are piling up on my shelf. I'm buying them, want to read them but never seem to get around to it. I don't mind talking about it here though. guess I'm in a weird spot in my life.
Old June 6 2012, 09:05 PM   #12
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

I have my phases but I always go back to TOS every time just waiting for STTNG on Blu ray I'll be glued to that for a bit !!!!
Old June 6 2012, 10:09 PM   #13
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

I never tire of TOS - for me it actually gets better as the years pass. As cliche as this may read, it's nevertheless a truism when I say it's something truly magical for me.
Old June 6 2012, 10:34 PM   #14
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

It's been over 40 years. If I was ever gonna get trekked out on TOS, it would have happened by now. I can see no end in sight...

For me, it's TOS that never wears out its welcome. I never tire of it, after hundreds of viewings. For some reason, TOS has the most re-watchability to me, more than any other ST (not that the others can't be as good or sometimes superior).

I also enjoy DS9, but that's harder to watch one-off. If I start with DS9, I gotta go all-in, not just pop in an eps or two.

Hell, I'd watch a TOS eps for the 999th time over most any other ST eps for the 5th time. Not that the others aren't good. But TOS is TOS.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 10:36 PM   #15
BillJ
Admiral

SchwEnt wrote: View Post

But TOS is TOS.
This says it all.