Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 19 2012, 02:07 PM   #91
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: The All-New DALLAS!

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
EDIT: Found the blurb about the reunion movies being ignored:

Cidre's first order of business: reviewing the old seasons all the way through to the series finale, when J.R. was reduced to a shell of his former self — a sad state he's maintained when the story picks up. (Wisely, the events of two '90s reunion TV-*movies, which Duffy and Hagman both dub "terrible," are ignored.)
Link

There you have it. And it's kind of sad, because I actually like J.R. Returns a lot; it's clever and fun. But I understand now how it completely changes the landscape of the characters and their relationships with one another and would make the new series much more difficult to do otherwise. I like enough of what I've seen so far to give Cynthia Cidre and her team the benefit of the doubt and keep watching.
That's too bad. I'm not a fan of having installments of any series ignored. And I don't see why they need to be ignored anyway. They aren't any better or worse than what we got in the series and I don't see how they stand in the way of any current development.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2012, 03:44 PM   #92
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

wissaboo wrote: View Post
As an unabashed Dallas fan, I have the entire original series and movies on DVD at home and can answer some questions people have asked:
maybe you can answer me this, didn't the cattle barons ball used to be a fancy evening gown and tux kind of thing? I was shocked how casually everyone was dressed.
No. The mainstay of the original series was that they always went to the Oil Baron's Ball, presumably for the power players in the Big Oil Industry.

Being that neither J.R. or Bobby are part of the oil industry anymore, (yet, anyway, that we know) and Bobby is primarily running Southfork Ranch, it makes sense that they'd be at the Cattle Baron's Ball instead. They never went to a Cattle Baron's Ball on the old show, so we have no frame of reference about what the appropriate attire would be for such an event.
But they DID go to something called the Cattleman's Club on the old show, but If I remember right, that was just a resturant/bar/nightclub type of thing.

I take it this "Cattle Barons Ball" is something different?
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2012, 03:51 PM   #93
Agent Richard07
Admiral

All we know is that J.R. has been catatonically depressed. We don't know for how long, but the implication is that it's been for a while. Granted, it can't have been for the entire intervening 20 years since "Conundrum" aired, because J.R. recognizes Ann at the Cattle Baron's Ball, so he had to have been ok for some time to get to know her before Bobby married her.
I read an article just yesterday suggesting that he was catatonic for about a decade, but now I can't find it.
Old June 19 2012, 06:03 PM   #94
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
EDIT: Found the blurb about the reunion movies being ignored:

Cidre's first order of business: reviewing the old seasons all the way through to the series finale, when J.R. was reduced to a shell of his former self — a sad state he's maintained when the story picks up. (Wisely, the events of two '90s reunion TV-*movies, which Duffy and Hagman both dub "terrible," are ignored.)
Link

There you have it. And it's kind of sad, because I actually like J.R. Returns a lot; it's clever and fun. But I understand now how it completely changes the landscape of the characters and their relationships with one another and would make the new series much more difficult to do otherwise. I like enough of what I've seen so far to give Cynthia Cidre and her team the benefit of the doubt and keep watching.
That's too bad. I'm not a fan of having installments of any series ignored. And I don't see why they need to be ignored anyway. They aren't any better or worse than what we got in the series and I don't see how they stand in the way of any current development.
Well, again - a lot of what the reunion movies did was to tie up loose ends and give the series a more pleasant ending to J.R. and his scheming. In order to tell the story they're telling on the new show, they'd have to go to the trouble of undoing that. Personally, I like the approach they're taking with the new show, writing-wise and am ok with them ignoring J.R. Returns and The War of the Ewings. I've got the DVDs, so I can watch them any time I want.

Also: Anyone who's interested in the show should check out the prequel film Dallas: The Early Years, which focuses on Jock, Digger Barnes, and Miss Ellie. I finally got around to watching it about six months ago and was incredibly satisfied with how good a standalone tale it is, while also remaining true to all the little snippets of continuity the series proper gave us about the Barnes-Ewing feud. It's also just a plain old fun movie and the twist at the end is awesome.

RandyS wrote: View Post
wissaboo wrote: View Post

maybe you can answer me this, didn't the cattle barons ball used to be a fancy evening gown and tux kind of thing? I was shocked how casually everyone was dressed.
No. The mainstay of the original series was that they always went to the Oil Baron's Ball, presumably for the power players in the Big Oil Industry.

Being that neither J.R. or Bobby are part of the oil industry anymore, (yet, anyway, that we know) and Bobby is primarily running Southfork Ranch, it makes sense that they'd be at the Cattle Baron's Ball instead. They never went to a Cattle Baron's Ball on the old show, so we have no frame of reference about what the appropriate attire would be for such an event.
But they DID go to something called the Cattleman's Club on the old show, but If I remember right, that was just a resturant/bar/nightclub type of thing.

I take it this "Cattle Barons Ball" is something different?
Yeah, the Cattleman's Club was a restaurant, like the Oil Baron's Club restaurant where many scenes were set. The Cattle Baron's Ball, if it's anything like the Oil Baron's Ball on the old show, will be a yearly event for the characters.

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
All we know is that J.R. has been catatonically depressed. We don't know for how long, but the implication is that it's been for a while. Granted, it can't have been for the entire intervening 20 years since "Conundrum" aired, because J.R. recognizes Ann at the Cattle Baron's Ball, so he had to have been ok for some time to get to know her before Bobby married her.
I read an article just yesterday suggesting that he was catatonic for about a decade, but now I can't find it.
I'd love to read that article. I also read somewhere that Ann was a friend of Sue Ellen's, which eventually led to Ann's meeting Bobby. That all obviously would have had to have taken place in the 20 years between the end of the original series and now. Too, it would have either had to have happened before Sue Ellen left Dallas at the end of the 11th season of the show, or if and when she eventually came back to Dallas.

Do we even know if Sue Ellen is single in the new series? John Ross tells us in the original series later seasons that Sue Ellen eventually married Don Lockwood (Ian McShane) - the Hollywood director she initially left Dallas with. One would think if Don was in Dallas with her, he would have been her date for the Cattle Baron's Ball. Being that he's no where to be found in the new series, it begs the question - are they divorced? Still married? Did he die? Is he off shooting a film?
Old June 19 2012, 06:19 PM   #95
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ Given all the drama that happens in these people's lives, they probably got divorced, remarried, then he went off and shot a film and died in the jungle.
Old June 19 2012, 06:23 PM   #96
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised.
Old June 20 2012, 12:08 AM   #97
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I saw the Early Years movie when it was first on the air; it was actually the best Dallas story ever, in my opinion.
Old June 20 2012, 12:14 AM   #98
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

^Dale Midkiff may have been chewing scenery through the whole thing as Jock, but it was good stuff!
Old June 20 2012, 12:14 AM   #99
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Got around to watching the second episode, really enjoy the series and hope to see it stick around.
Old June 20 2012, 12:26 AM   #100
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

I did love how J.R. was "playing possum" so-to-speak in the hospital and clapped when it turned out he was behind the purchase of his family's estate. I may have never really seen the series but have been exposed to the popular culture of it enough to know J.R. is a perfect bastard.
Yeah, they got J.R. just right. About the only thing I didn't care for was his reaction when John Ross tells him about Christopher, and his harsh words about his adopted nephew. On the old show, it absolutely was par for the course for J.R. to take every pot shot, every political angle he could to make himself the "good" guy or the victim whenever he had to defend himself, (he regularly would refer to his half-brother Ray Krebbs as a "half-breed") and he sure as hell took every chance he could to bully Cliff Barnes and Pam, but he never took it out on or held any malice toward John Ross or Christopher when they were kids. I get that they're both adults now, but it was a bit disconcerting to see J.R. say such a nasty thing about his brother's son.

One of my favorite J.R. one-liners was when his son James showed up at Southfork for dinner with April's sister Michelle, who J.R. was noticeably irritated with. Upon sitting down to dinner, Michelle sits in Miss Ellie's seat, which J.R. will have none of. He directs her to another chair.

J.R.
You can sit over there, in Pam's old seat.
(under his breath)
Couldn't stand her, either.

Old June 20 2012, 12:30 AM   #101
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

I did love how J.R. was "playing possum" so-to-speak in the hospital and clapped when it turned out he was behind the purchase of his family's estate. I may have never really seen the series but have been exposed to the popular culture of it enough to know J.R. is a perfect bastard.
Yeah, they got J.R. just right. About the only thing I didn't care for was his reaction when John Ross tells him about Christopher, and his harsh words about his adopted nephew. On the old show, it absolutely was par for the course for J.R. to take every pot shot, every political angle he could to make himself the "good" guy or the victim whenever he had to defend himself, but he never took it out on or held any malice toward John Ross or Christopher when they were kids. I get that they're both adults now, but it was a bit disconcerting to see J.R. say such a nasty thing about his brother's son.
Well, decades have passed and he's obviously became more bitter of an old man and the kids have grown and changed as well. I hope the actor who plays J.R. (not recalling it right now) who is of advanced years and has had recent health problems survives the series and we don't get a Livia Soprano situation pulled on us. For my money he's pretty much going to be this series.
Old June 20 2012, 12:35 AM   #102
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I have the bad feeling that Larry Hagman's cancer is going to get the best of him eventually. I really don't want to see him end up as this series' Jock Ewing .

Interesting trivia. The actress who plays Ann did a one off on the original show as one of Cliff Barnes' one night stands. Personally, I think it would be a hoot for there to be an awkward moment when Cliff rears his head (and you know he will), just to give a nod to that, even if Ann and her one off aren't the same character.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 12:38 AM   #103
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Peacemaker wrote: View Post
Yeah, I have the bad feeling that Larry Hagman's cancer is going to get the best of him eventually. I really don't want to see him end up as this series' Jock Ewing .
Everything I've read seems to suggest his cancer is in remission right now, and that he's in fairly decent health. Whether or not the series lasts beyond the first ten episodes they've already shot is anyone's guess, but at least we know we've got another 10 solid hours of J.R.

Interesting trivia. The actress who plays Ann did a one off on the original show as one of Cliff Barnes' one night stands. Personally, I think it would be a hoot for there to be an awkward moment when Cliff rears his head (and you know he will), just to give a nod to that, even if Ann and her one off aren't the same character.
^ Yep.

http://dallastvworld.tumblr.com/post...r-guest-actors

And yeah, a nice wink of the eye to that previous (if minor) role of hers if and when Cliff shows up would be a riot. Way better an intertextual reference I think, too, than acknowledging that Metcalfe, Henderson, Strong, and Hagman were all on Desperate Housewives at one point or another.
Old June 20 2012, 12:48 AM   #104
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Everything I've read seems to suggest his cancer is in remission right now, and that he's in fairly decent health. Whether or not the series lasts beyond the first ten episodes they've already shot is anyone's guess, but at least we know we've got another 10 solid hours of J.R.
I believe the series has been doing well in the ratings, so I'd suspect another order of episodes would be likely.
Old June 20 2012, 02:22 AM   #105
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

View Crusher Disciple's Twitter Profile

I'm watching the original Dallas on CMT. I have no idea what they're doing with the episodes they choose to show. They're jumping all over the place.