RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,675
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 536
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 20 2012, 05:55 PM   #376
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Re: The All-New DALLAS!

doubleofive wrote:

Too, in an interview with RejectedFilmScores.com, Jerrold Immel elaborated on his theme for Dallas, which he composed and then summarily returned each season to re-orchestrate and re-record (which is why there are so many damn different versions of the theme!):

Was there ever any preassure to arrange the theme into a more regular orchestral way, once shows like "Dynasty" and "Falcon Crest" is themes started reigning in a new TV show theme era?

JERROLD IMMEL: No. "Dallas" was the original of the Prime Time Soaps (discounting "Peyton Place") of that era. The number one TV series in the world in 1980 and no one had any thought of making changes. In later seasons I did modify the Disco beat to make it more "contemporary dance".

Your theme has become one of the quintesential pieces of music from any TV series theme; how do you feel being rememberd all these years later for that work, and do you still get comments from fans on it?

JERROLD IMMEL: It remains the signature piece of music to my career. Many, many people of a certain age remember the Friday nights on CBS and the theme that called them to watch the show. LINK
Jerrold Who? I thought Bruce Broughton composed the theme...

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2012, 06:18 PM   #377
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
doubleofive wrote:

Too, in an interview with RejectedFilmScores.com, Jerrold Immel elaborated on his theme for Dallas, which he composed and then summarily returned each season to re-orchestrate and re-record (which is why there are so many damn different versions of the theme!):

Was there ever any preassure to arrange the theme into a more regular orchestral way, once shows like "Dynasty" and "Falcon Crest" is themes started reigning in a new TV show theme era?

JERROLD IMMEL: No. "Dallas" was the original of the Prime Time Soaps (discounting "Peyton Place") of that era. The number one TV series in the world in 1980 and no one had any thought of making changes. In later seasons I did modify the Disco beat to make it more "contemporary dance".

Your theme has become one of the quintesential pieces of music from any TV series theme; how do you feel being rememberd all these years later for that work, and do you still get comments from fans on it?

JERROLD IMMEL: It remains the signature piece of music to my career. Many, many people of a certain age remember the Friday nights on CBS and the theme that called them to watch the show. LINK
Jerrold Immel. He composed the theme for the series and scored the show for most of its run, alternating at times with Bruce Broughton (who also won and Emmy for his work on Dallas) and John Parker.

Immel however, wrote the iconic theme we all know and love.
Old August 20 2012, 06:48 PM   #378
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
doubleofive wrote:

Jerrold Immel. He composed the theme for the series and scored the show for most of its run, alternating at times with Bruce Broughton (who also won and Emmy for his work on Dallas) and John Parker.

Gotcha.

-Tom Clancy
Old August 20 2012, 06:51 PM   #379
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Gotcha.
Also, a fun fact from a soundtrack editor I know:

The job of scoring Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan was originally offered to Jerrold Immel. He wound up turning it down because he was also offered the job of scoring Megaforce. He chose Megaforce because it had been allocated a bigger budget for scoring.

Once again, the almighty dollar wins. J.R. would be proud.
Old August 20 2012, 06:53 PM   #380
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Gotcha.
Also, a fun fact from a soundtrack editor I know:

The job of scoring Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan was originally offered to Jerrold Immel. He wound up turning it down because he was also offered the job of scoring Megaforce. He chose Megaforce because it had been allocated a bigger budget for scoring.

Once again, the almighty dollar wins. J.R. would be proud.
Indeed! Doesn't matter to me though. Trek II and its score were both better than Megaforce and its score anyway.

(Yes, I like James Horner's work...)

-Tom Clancy
Old August 20 2012, 10:00 PM   #381
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

In that War Of The Ewings opening, it looks like Ray dipped his head in an inkwell. Or maybe an oilwell?

Tracy Scoggins was so hot then. Now she looks like the victim of really bad plastic surgery.

Those later openings, at the very beginning, the explosion reminds me more of the A-Team. I'm half expecting to see the black van come jumping over whatever that is that's exploding.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2012, 11:14 PM   #382
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

The explosion is from the beginning of the 1988-1989 season, when Carter McKay first shows up and moves in to Ray's house. The main arc at the beginning of the season was the "Ewing-McKay range war" over disputed Southfork land. I don't recall the details, but the explosion itself is a big deal in the context of the arc, as Miss Ellie finally gives the go-ahead to the boys to blow up the dam on the Southfork side of the disputed land.

People say the show was shit after the dream season, but this arc (the range war) in particular was an excellent string of episodes and even brought Ray Krebbs back for a few episodes after initially exited the series.

But yeah, it's completely obvious in War of the Ewings that he's started dying his hair; even my mom, at the time it was first broadcast was disappointed as she'd always liked his silver hair during the series.
Old August 20 2012, 11:57 PM   #383
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ Oh I kinda remember those later seasons....vaguely.

I don't really remember when I stopped watching regularly though.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 07:24 PM   #384
Worf2DS9
Writer

Read today that Larry Hagman has been declared cancer-free. Great news, so we should see more of J.R.'s antics next season!

Hagman in the clear!
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 08:00 PM   #385
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

That's wonderful news! Thanks for sharing!
Old August 30 2012, 08:50 PM   #386
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Yaay!

-Tom Clancy
Old August 30 2012, 11:22 PM   #387
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Hagman was looking a lot better when he showed up for the "Dallas Round-Up" after the season finale, so this confirmation is great news.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 09:22 AM   #388
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Last edited by doubleohfive; September 5 2012 at 12:35 AM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 12:32 AM   #389
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Good to hear about Hagman's health news!

Re the spoiler can we start
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 10:36 PM   #390
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

News about the first season on DVD: http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/17538

Looks like it will be pretty cool... though I'm a bit surprised/disappointed none of the "Round Up" segments that TNT aired immediately after the episodes are being included.

You'd think if the network thought they were that important to actually air, they'd include them on this set. Unless of course, that's what "Southfork Legacy" is going to be, just renamed?