Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 7 2012, 02:11 PM   #226
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles
Re: The All-New DALLAS!

Interesting, it seems that Mitch Pileggi, who played Ann's ex-husband, had a different role on the original Dallas back in 1990. Nice to see Ann finally get a little bit of a backstory.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 05:35 PM   #227
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

^ Pileggi was one of the crazies institutionalized in the sanitarium where J.R. had himself checked in to (in order to get his stepfather Clatyon's insane sister, Lady Jessica Montford, to sign over some contract to him) at the end of season 12. The big cliffhanger that year wound up revealing J.R.'s son James refusing to sign papers releasing J.R. from the sanitarium, effectively trapping J.R. for the beginning of season 13. Pileggi's character was a bully and made continued threats against J.R. throughout that arc - which was not one of their best, to be honest. About only two good things came out of it, and they were both lines of dialogue.

J.R. Just great. I wanted the A-Team, and you got me F-Troop!

And afterward, when J.R. finally does get out, Bobby rages on him for not being around during April's kidnapping (and murder):

BOBBY: Where were you last week when I really needed you, J.R.?
Old July 7 2012, 06:05 PM   #228
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I am definitely stealing that A-Team line.
Old July 7 2012, 11:51 PM   #229
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The only way to prevent it would be a codicil in the original sales agreement to prevent the resale of the property.
If I wanted land preserved as is, in perpetuity, that is exactly the codicil I would insist is in the agreement.

Otherwise, why did Bobby expect anything other than the possibility of the land being sold to an oil developer - in a week, in a year, in a decade? It sounded to me like Bobby was doing one of those deals where land is permanently placed out of the reach of any developer, basically forever - not just within the lifetime of the person who originally owned it, or his heirs, etc. Obviously Bobby didn't bother to read what he was signing (or more to the point, the writers of this show didn't bother to research how these things actually work.)
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 05:11 AM   #230
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The only way to prevent it would be a codicil in the original sales agreement to prevent the resale of the property.
If I wanted land preserved as is, in perpetuity, that is exactly the codicil I would insist is in the agreement.

Otherwise, why did Bobby expect anything other than the possibility of the land being sold to an oil developer - in a week, in a year, in a decade? It sounded to me like Bobby was doing one of those deals where land is permanently placed out of the reach of any developer, basically forever - not just within the lifetime of the person who originally owned it, or his heirs, etc. Obviously Bobby didn't bother to read what he was signing (or more to the point, the writers of this show didn't bother to research how these things actually work.)
There's a couple of problems with this theory. First, the fake Marta claimed to represent people who wanted to buy Southfork, which means the group wouldn't be a trust, which is who Bobby would have dealt with if his real goal were to prevent development forever. The trust would manage the place, but he would still own it and therefore it would be managed according to his wishes, even after his death if he updates his will properly.

Therein lies the second problem. His real goal had nothing to do with preserving the land, although he considered that a fringe benefit. His real goal was to not own the land any more. He didn't want any Ewing to own it, including himself, so he sold it to a group that promised to preserve it, but selling it meant he gave up any right to say what was done with it. Personally, I think he knew that and didn't care because his only concern was that it didn't get sold back to a Ewing. I also think he was lax with the sales agreement because he was in a rush and figured the most dangerous Ewing, JR, didn't have the wherewithal to move in. He was wrong.

-Regina, heralding Elsa's arrival.
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 06:34 PM   #231
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

lennier1 wrote: View Post
The youngsters just don't have the charisma to carry a show, but as long as the old farts are around the writers should have something they can use.
Absolutely right. Instead of wasting time on these bland prettyboys' abs they should give us all the JR they can squeeze out of Hagman.
Old July 9 2012, 06:36 PM   #232
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Jenilee Harrison has a song on there, too. "I'm A Survivor," I think it's called-- kind of ironic, considering how her character ended up.
Not to mention her career.
Old July 9 2012, 11:58 PM   #233
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ Sad, but true.
Old July 10 2012, 04:49 PM   #234
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
lennier1 wrote: View Post
The youngsters just don't have the charisma to carry a show, but as long as the old farts are around the writers should have something they can use.
Absolutely right. Instead of wasting time on these bland prettyboys' abs they should give us all the JR they can squeeze out of Hagman.
Well, we can only go by the face they collectively present to the public. The old timers and the noobs seem to have a really good relationship on an off set. If that's the case, then that's an environment, if the noobs are serious about developing themselves as actors, they will learn a lot and mature as actors and, hopefully, into their roles.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 05:01 PM   #235
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

I'm happy with the half and half balance on the show now Though I'm a little concerned with JR leaving on a helicopter last episode.

we have to remember that these actors are past retirement age and filming an hour long drama has a punishing schedule.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 05:01 PM   #236
wissaboo
Captain

I'm happy with the half and half balance on the show now Though I'm a little concerned with JR leaving on a helicopter last episode.

we have to remember that these actors are past retirement age and filming an hour long drama has a punishing schedule.
Old July 10 2012, 11:30 PM   #237
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

wissaboo wrote: View Post

Patrick Duffy said it himself in a recent article: there is no show without JR.

That means there is no "half-and-half" balance. There's JR and there's everybody else. In my opinion, it's JR, then the old timers, then the noobs. I say, I'll watch as long as Larry Hagman is healthy enough to be in it. If it devolves into "The Noob Dallas" i'm finding something else to watch.

-Regina, heralding Elsa's arrival.
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 12:32 AM   #238
wissaboo
Captain

I agree it's not dallas without jr. But the viewer is going to have to be a bit understanding of the fact that he is an 80 year old man and can't handle the screen time he did 30 years ago.
Old July 11 2012, 02:07 AM   #239
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

or...

Because he stopped drinking, Larry may be handling it better now.

Imagine if classic JR was Hagman at 10 percent?

The amount of resources he used to spend slacking off inside the bottle is about equal to what it's like to deal with being 80.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 07:53 AM   #240
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
The amount of resources he used to spend slacking off inside the bottle...
wait. I always thought it was Jeannie inside the bottle.