A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 15 2012, 04:36 PM   #61
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: IDW to publish post-Nemesis TNG Borg story, possibly Destiny

Mr. Domino wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I
And I'm wondering what makes this Romulans Treasury Edition different from the Pawns of War compilation we already have.
In comics, Treasury Editions are oversized compilations of previously printed work. They used to do them all the time in the 70s, and a lot of guys from that era have very fond memories of them - John Byrne, who wrote and drew all the Pawns of War stories, was quite big at that time (and for a while after, but that's beside the point), and so he appeals to that demographic - thus, they're trying to tickle the nostalgia bone a bit.
I just received my July PREVIEWS, and yes, the Star Trek: Romulans Treasury Edition is in a larger size format -- 9 1/4" x 14 1/4", with cardstock covers. Without having them handy to compare, I'd say that's probably the same format at Superman/Fantastic Four or the Paul Dini/Alex Ross one-shots that DC published in the late 90s.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2012, 06:54 PM   #62
JD
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Anyway, back to the IDW post-Nemesis Borg project.

Brannon Braga returns to Star Trek for Hive:

Celebrating the 25th anniversary of Star Trek: The Next Generation!
In the distant future the entire galaxy has been completely assimilated by Borg and it's king... Locutus! The only hope for the future lies in the past, in the hands of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the starship Enterprise-as Picard faces off against the Borg collective in one final, terrifying and definitive encounter!

Brannon Braga is one of the writers most associated with the Star Trek Franchise. He has written a number of fondly remembered episodes of TNG, including co-writing the two-part series finale, "All Good Things...," for which he won the prestigious Hugo Award. Terry Matalas has written for Star Trek: Enterprise, as well as Terra Nova.
I might be checking this out. Braga has written quite a few of my favrotie episodes, so I'm pretty confident that this will be worth a read.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2012, 02:01 AM   #63
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Yeah, if I remember right, Dark Empire was originally intended to take place a year or two after Return of the Jedi. If you look at the comic closely, nothing in the first mini says "the New Republic" except for the text pieces preceding each issue; in-story, everyone is still calling it "the Rebellion."
I think that DE was supposed to be an even more immediate aftermath to ROTJ than a year or two. In fact, if you look at the art in the first issue, even though no attention is brought to them in dialogue or text, there are Ewoks fighting with the Rebel/Republic cell on Coruscant, which always made me think that it was originally supposed be just a couple of months after Jedi.
Old June 16 2012, 02:04 AM   #64
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Anyway, back to the IDW post-Nemesis Borg project.

Brannon Braga returns to Star Trek for Hive:

Celebrating the 25th anniversary of Star Trek: The Next Generation!
In the distant future the entire galaxy has been completely assimilated by Borg and it's king... Locutus! The only hope for the future lies in the past, in the hands of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the starship Enterprise-as Picard faces off against the Borg collective in one final, terrifying and definitive encounter!

Brannon Braga is one of the writers most associated with the Star Trek Franchise. He has written a number of fondly remembered episodes of TNG, including co-writing the two-part series finale, "All Good Things...," for which he won the prestigious Hugo Award. Terry Matalas has written for Star Trek: Enterprise, as well as Terra Nova.
I might be checking this out. Braga has written quite a few of my favrotie episodes, so I'm pretty confident that this will be worth a read.
I'm having the opposite reaction. Braga's involvement in this is a deal-breaker for me.
Old June 16 2012, 03:46 AM   #65
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I might check it out, even with Braga writing it. Seven in the Starfleet uniform intrigues me.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2012, 08:15 PM   #66
shanejayell
Captain

I'm largely 'meh' on this. I mean... Time travel, AGAIN? And a Borg run future? Bleh.
Old June 17 2012, 09:39 PM   #67
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

Maybe if it was played for laughs....

"Sure, the Borg are oppressive and all ... but at least the transwarp shuttles run on time."

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2012, 09:19 PM   #68
shanejayell
Captain

And in the latest bits it appears the future is ruled by 'KIng Locutus.'

Right....

I might look for this in the bargain bin. Maybe. *lol*
Old September 12 2012, 04:31 PM   #69
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The first issue of Hive comes out next week.

I got to read an advance copy this morning.

It has potential. Yes, the story feels like a Braga's Greatest Hits -- there's a little bit of First Contact, "Year of Hell," "Scorpion," and "Endgame" -- but it hangs together in an intriguing way.

As IDW's solicitations make clear, the story unfolds into two parallel tracks, set hundreds of years apart -- fifteen years after "Best of Both Worlds" and the 29th-century. Both tracks in this first issue end on WTF? moments, and I'm curious to see what kind of payoff they have.

The first issue, in my opinion, was worthwhile.

allyngibson.net
Old September 12 2012, 05:05 PM   #70
Christopher
Writer

So that means the "present" portions are late 2381 or early '82? Which would be less than a year after Destiny takes place. Though clearly we're dealing with a separate timeline here.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 05:35 PM   #71
Hando
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Hando Send a message via AIM to Hando Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Hando Send a message via Yahoo to Hando

So that means the "present" portions are late 2381 or early '82? Which would be less than a year after Destiny takes place. Though clearly we're dealing with a separate timeline here.
It is a comic, so it will probably have nothing to do with the novelverse.

On the other hand who is to say that all Borg were eliminated. There may be some still around (some who were not around when Destiny happened). By the way, is this discussed somewhere?
Hando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 05:46 PM   #72
Christopher
Writer

^Well, that's a given. The only IDW Trek comics to take place in the novel continuity are those written by novelists like KRAD or Peter David. Or that were retroactively embraced by the novels, as with Blood Will Tell and Alien Spotlight: Andor. Many of IDW's miniseries aren't even in continuity with each other; for instance, D. C. Fontana's The Enterprise Experiment envisions the late 5-year-mission era and the fate of the Klingon-Romulan alliance differently than John Byrne's comics do.

I'm not saying I'm surprised that Braga's comic is out of continuity with the novels. Of course it would be -- not only is he a busy TV producer who's probably never read the novels, but he's much higher in the Trek hierarchy than us lowly tie-in authors, so nobody would expect or ask him to follow the novelists' lead. I'm just noting the coincidence of how close in time these two radically different takes on the Borg's future happen to begin.

Old September 12 2012, 06:00 PM   #73
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

I don't have the issue at hand, but I remember that the stardate was in the 58xxxx or 59xxx range. My "fifteen years" was a ballpark figure.

Hive isn't compatible with Destiny. At all.

allyngibson.net
Old September 13 2012, 03:21 AM   #74
JD
Admiral

CBR has an interview with Brannon Braga where he discusses Hive.
It sounds fun to me, although it is definitely very different from the Novelverse.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 03:37 AM   #75
Christopher
Writer

Different from the novelverse, yes... but rather similar to the alternate timelines I alluded to in Watching the Clock, futures where the events of Destiny never occurred. Make of that what you will...