Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 18 2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Rotten Tomatoes suspends Comments after Dark Knight profanity, threats

RT has closed Comments, and is considering revamping it's entire Comment system after rabid Bat-fans spammed up the page for the new Nolan picture with vicious personal slurs and threats against some reviewers who gave it a low score

http://news.yahoo.com/rotten-tomatoe...003301147.html

This is new...usually it's Trek fans who get nailed with this label...

Last edited by Ian Keldon; July 18 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 05:37 PM   #2
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Rotten Tomatoes suspends Comments after Dark Knight profanity, thr

LOL, apparently, none of them have ever been to the IMDb message boards.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 05:51 PM   #3
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I would say something cliched like "Relax, it's just a movie" but what's the point. Heaven forbid this movie is not "perfect". I hope it's a good one and I plan to see it Saturday Morning, but to make threats towards people who's job it is to review films is pathetic.
Old July 18 2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
RT has closed Comments, and is considering revamping it's entire Comment system after rabit Bat-fans spammed up the page for the new Nolan picture with vicious personal slurs and threats against some reviewers who gave it a low score

Rabid Nolan-ites have been popping up hard core the last year. This caldera erupting of an event is not surprising.
Trekkies, Twi-hards and more are now way down the list of the fanatical.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 06:00 PM   #5
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
RT has closed Comments, and is considering revamping it's entire Comment system after rabit Bat-fans spammed up the page for the new Nolan picture with vicious personal slurs and threats against some reviewers who gave it a low score

Rabid Nolan-ites have been popping up hard core the last year. This caldera erupting of an event is not surprising.
Trekkies, Twi-hards and more are now way down the list of the fanatical.
Until later this year when the final Twilight comes out and next when when we finally have the Trek film with no name.
Old July 18 2012, 06:05 PM   #6
Garrovick
Commander

You know, I really wish I could say I'm surprised that something like this could happen, especially considering that the vast majority of reviews on RT for this movie are positive...

Unfortunately, I'm not.
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 06:07 PM   #7
MacLeod
Admiral

It's amazing that these people disagree with a review of a film they haven't seen. It is possible that the ones who gave it a more negative review are correct.

But whatever the quality of the film, personal insults etc.. are wrong. Say you disagree with the review or think the review is wrong but leave it at that. Attack the review (once you've seen the film and can make an inofrmed review)not the reviewer. Of course we all have different tastes in movies.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Lately I've been wishing that sites like rottentomatoes didn't even exist. They take away from people using their own brains and making up their own minds, which I don't think is healthy. They also take away some of the magic from moviegoing. You see an RT score - even a high one - and you can't help but think that the movie is somehow flawed before you even see it. If the Godfather was released today, the masses of critics would probably be nitpicking it, and you'd be thinking of those nitpicks instead of just appreciating it for the classic it has since become.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I've never been an RT fan or any other site that "tells" people how to frame an expectation. You should be able to do that yourself based on information provided via articles, previews etc.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 07:00 PM   #10
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
Lately I've been wishing that sites like rottentomatoes didn't even exist. They take away from people using their own brains and making up their own minds, which I don't think is healthy. They also take away some of the magic from moviegoing. You see an RT score - even a high one - and you can't help but think that the movie is somehow flawed before you even see it. If the Godfather was released today, the masses of critics would probably be nitpicking it, and you'd be thinking of those nitpicks instead of just appreciating it for the classic it has since become.
Eh, not much different than coming here and reading/posting. in the last year and a half to 2 years, I've read of posts that said "I enjoyed x when I watched it, it wasn't until I read posts here that I discovered I was supposed to hate it"

If not for sites like Rotten Tomatoes, you'd get what, one review in your local paper? I'd say, if you're the type of person who is going to make up their minds wether to see a movie or not, you'd want to see multiple reviews, rather than a single review.

Me, if a movie looks interesting to me, I'm going to watch it, wether it's panned mercilessly or not.

Though, I almost never go to the movies, since 2001, I think I've been to the Harry Potter movies, Dawn of the Dead, Stepford Wives and ST09. Generally, I would much rather wait until it comes out on disk and rent it off Comcast On Demand for $4.99, and I can burn myself a DVD-R of it, if I deem it worth keeping. Although Special Features sound attractive when I look at a DVD at the Store, I rarely watch much of them, so, why spend $20 watching it at the Theater, and another $20 buying the DVD, when I can watch it in the comfort of my own home, with the refrigerator and snack cabinet available and can burn a DVD of it for $4.99 rental fee plus less than 50 cents for the blank disk.

As to the people making threats against the reviewers, <SIGH> idiots who have no concept of priorities

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 07:15 PM   #11
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Batman fans are a superstitious cowardly lot...
Old July 18 2012, 07:37 PM   #12
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Just sounds like an average day on the internets.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 07:47 PM   #13
davejames
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I've never been an RT fan or any other site that "tells" people how to frame an expectation. You should be able to do that yourself based on information provided via articles, previews etc.
For me it's not about forming an opinion or expectation beforehand; I just love movies and love reading different critics' opinions and analysis of them.

Of course it doesn't hurt that I generally tend to agree with the general consensus on RT. Most critics have little patience for anything too mindless, overblown, and predictable, and I'm the same way.

If other people find that their opinions don't match up, then simply don't use it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 12:27 AM   #14
Rulius
Fleet Captain

View Rulius's Twitter Profile

I've never paid attention to movie reviews; I go and see for myself.
Old July 19 2012, 12:40 AM   #15
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

I don't mind movie reviews. Especially if I'm on the fence. Sometimes they save me 10 bucks.

However, rarely, if I really want to see a movie, will a review stop me. They are just a tool.