Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 26 2012, 08:58 PM   #46
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Re: Before Watchmen: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers ahoy)

Before Watchmen: Ozymandias' Secretary
Old August 26 2012, 09:02 PM   #47
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

All leading up to Watchmen 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I've still occasionally see speculation that this is all a precursor to a "Watchmen" sequel. I don't know if this would actually happen, but I suspect that a sequel would cause even more of an uproar than Before Watchmen did.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; August 27 2012 at 01:17 AM.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 09:03 PM   #48
the G-man
Commodore

Before Watchmen: the adventures of Charlie Kovacs, undersecretary of vice in the Truman administration
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 10:24 PM   #49
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Before Watchmen: Superman
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 01:05 AM   #50
Aldo
Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post

I've still occasionally seen speculation that this is all a precursor to a "Watchmen" sequel. I don't know if this would actually happen, but I suspect that a sequel would cause even more of an uproar than Before Watchmen did.
I'm honestly scratching my head about where a sequel comic could take the story
Old August 27 2012, 12:19 PM   #51
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Aldo wrote: View Post
Did Adrian's plan work? Was Adrian's plan exposed? How does Earth rebuild from the destruction of New York? What if a new genuine super-human emerged?

Those are some quick thoughts.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 12:25 PM   #52
Derishton
Vice Admiral

The only sequel idea that I think wouldn't ruin the symmetry of the original would be something almost completely different, set in whatever universe Manhattan builds for himself.
Old August 27 2012, 05:08 PM   #53
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Aldo wrote: View Post
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post

I've still occasionally seen speculation that this is all a precursor to a "Watchmen" sequel. I don't know if this would actually happen, but I suspect that a sequel would cause even more of an uproar than Before Watchmen did.
My idea was similar to Zach Snyder's, basically a Rorschach's world kind of thing. I always wondered if maybe John hadn't straight up killed Rorschach but rather separated his intrinsic field trusting that Rorschach wouldn't have the knowledge of human anatomy needed to put himself back together. However Rorschach's need for order and his force of will were strong enough for him to instinctively recreate himself as Mega-Rorschach and he goes about recreating the whole world in his own image literally. So now walking down ever block of every city in the world is a duplicate Rorschach all hurming in perfect hurmony... I mean harmony.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 07:55 PM   #54
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Here is a scenario that I came up with for a post-squid world back in the "Watchmen 2?" build-up thread...

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Myasishchev wrote: View Post
I'd actually be far more interested in a genuine Watchmen 2, taking place in post-squid world.
Yeah, there actually is a lot to be explored there. Either Rorschack's diary or the drawing of the squid, dated 3 days before the event, by the artist that Ozy blew up on the boat (a sub-plot absent from the movie for those keeping score) could threaten to undo Veight's conspiracy.

Suppose both came to public attention? Would the fragile peace shatter? Would the world turn on Veight? Would Veight have to go into full-on super-villan mode to save his own ass and bring the world back together? Would it be costumed heroes, old and new (Maybe even a corps of Rorschack cultists) who stop Veight's evil plans, thus insuring world peace and bringing costumed heroes back into public favor? And could that have been Veight's plan all along...?
I particularly like the idea of a corps of Rorshack cultists.
Old August 27 2012, 08:22 PM   #55
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post

My idea was similar to Zach Snyder's, basically a Rorschach's world kind of thing. I always wondered if maybe John hadn't straight up killed Rorschach but rather separated his intrinsic field trusting that Rorschach wouldn't have the knowledge of human anatomy needed to put himself back together.
Em.. I don't have my copy to hand but I'm pretty sure he turns him into a greasy smear?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 09:24 PM   #56
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Em... I'm pretty sure that Jon got fried but his intrinsic field was still separated.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 09:43 PM   #57
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post

My idea was similar to Zach Snyder's, basically a Rorschach's world kind of thing. I always wondered if maybe John hadn't straight up killed Rorschach but rather separated his intrinsic field trusting that Rorschach wouldn't have the knowledge of human anatomy needed to put himself back together.
Em.. I don't have my copy to hand but I'm pretty sure he turns him into a greasy smear?
Well... he turns him into some kind of smear, all right. But that's still open to interpretation if you squint hard.

The black mark on the snow has red highlights which are probably supposed to be blood. If they are, then we can say that Rorschach was officially splattered and there's no putting him back together again. End of story. I'm sure this was the original intent. I don't think I.F. subtraction leaves bloodstains behind.

However, you could take those red highlights as just that: red highlights, some trick of the light reflecting off the snow -- not blood. In that case the black mark on the snow might be said to be a discoloration from the radiation used to subtract Rorschach's I.F. Not Rorschach's remains.

In that case, there's still room for Mega-Rorschach.

Here is a scenario that I came up with for a post-squid world back in the "Watchmen 2?" build-up thread...

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
I'd actually be far more interested in a genuine Watchmen 2, taking place in post-squid world.
Yeah, there actually is a lot to be explored there. Either Rorschack's diary or the drawing of the squid, dated 3 days before the event, by the artist that Ozy blew up on the boat (a sub-plot absent from the movie for those keeping score) could threaten to undo Veight's conspiracy.

Suppose both came to public attention?
That's actually not all there is. Anyone doing a DNA test on the squid's brain would discover that it was derived from human (Robert Deschaines). They might even be able to tell who it was. The rest of the squid would need to have some kind of terrestrial origin for it to be alive at all. A DNA test would surely reveal something interesting.

I'm sure Veidt would try to prevent anyone from doing DNA testing, but really, genetic engineering was all over the place. The Gunga Diner served chickens with four legs, for crying out loud! And there was an awful lot of squid lying around. Sooner or later, someone with the right equipment would get hold of a piece of it. I don't see how Veidt could keep a lid on all of that.

This occurred to me years and years ago.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 11:34 PM   #58
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I always thought Veidt's moment of triumph was literally that: a moment. There are a dozen ways his plot could come to light, and if tech follows the path it did in our world (perhaps more quickly because of Veidt himself), the moment will soon be over.

I don't need a 4 issue mini-series to show me that, anymore than I need a 4-issue mini-series showing me that Nick Carraway feels bad following the events of The Great Gatsby. It's obvious.
Old August 27 2012, 11:45 PM   #59
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Isn't it more interesting to imagine the possibilities of After Watchmen rather than allowing someone to tell you exactly what will happen?
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 02:20 AM   #60
Aldo
Admiral

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
Isn't it more interesting to imagine the possibilities of After Watchmen rather than allowing someone to tell you exactly what will happen?
I'm not sure what your point is. Because that's all anyone is doing right now, imagining the possibilities.