Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 19 2012, 12:45 AM   #571
sojourner
Admiral

Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

The final lines of the Batman/Superman movie:

"Bruce, even between the two of us, we can't face this!"

"You're right, that's why I've recruited help."

Cue splash scene of 4 more heroes arriving on the battle scene.

Continued in..... JUSTICE LEAGUE.

Rock ballad, credits roll.
Old October 19 2012, 02:39 PM   #572
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

^ Rock ballad = failure.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 02:51 PM   #573
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Icemizer wrote: View Post
^ Rock ballad = failure.
This.
Old October 19 2012, 11:07 PM   #574
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

They already attempted to develop a Batman/Superman movie. It didn't work out. It led to "Year One" which led ultimately to "Batman Begins". I understand the mentality but this is the way that DC Ent has decided to do things. I also understand the hesitation and skeptism on fans parts. WB has not really given us a chance to be excited or really accepting of their "plans" nor have they ever outright told us what their plans exactly are like Marvel Studios have. There is room for optimism though. Will Beals "Gangster Squad" script was excellent and the fact that they assigned him to write "Justice League" is telling to me that they want to this right finally. Also there's been some speculation that the latest ruling in the Superman rights court case has finally led Warner Bros to finally actually start fully backing this project and moving it forward.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 11:24 PM   #575
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Was bored, so I did a fan-casting for the movie:

Superman - Henry Cavill

No-brainer, really, if you want JL to share a universe with MoS.

Batman - Tahmoh Penikett

With this kind of jaw he has to play a superhero at least once, and he's got the physique and acting chops for the less semi-realistic Batman needed for a JL movie.

Wonder Woman - Morena Baccarin

Yes, she's over thirty, but she's still my favorite candidate for the role, and since this is my wishful thinking, anyway, I say, screw the age limit some have put on WW.

GL John Stewart - Chiwetel Ejiofor

He's just a damned good actor, period.

Flash Barry Allen - Simon Baker

Baker mostly has the likability and the mature lightness associated with Barry.

Aquaman - Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

I'm seriously surprised he's not on everybody's list. He's got the looks, the acting abilities and the charisma. What else could anyone ask?

Martian Manhunter - Carel Struycken

At age 64 he might be a bit too old, but dammit, I've yet to find another actor this suited for the character. He's incredibly tall, relatively thin, got the brooding part down, and, seriously, look at him. Just paint him green and give him red lenses, no more make-up needed. And as for the age part, with J'onn's shape-shifting powers, the action would be mostly cgi, anyway.

Despero - Keith David

Yes, I'd pass on Darkseid for the first movie, the JL has more good villains, and Despero is especially interesting with his mind-controlling powers. He's also a galactic emperor, so he could keep all the heroes busy. As for the casting, another no-brainer. David has voiced Despero on the JL cartoon and will reprise the role on Young Justice. He's a great actor with a fantastic voice. Why look anywhere else.

Amanda Waller - Kathy Bates

Waller has to be intimidating, and there's no actress who can do that quite like Bates.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 11:40 PM   #576
Christopher
Writer

Even aside from the inevitable outrage that casting a white actress as Amanda Waller would provoke, I'm surprised you'd suggest that Keith David reprise Despero and not go with the even more natural suggestion that CCH Pounder reprise Waller. She may not have the bulk for the character, but she's more than proven that she's perfect for the role in every other way.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 11:42 PM   #577
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Kai "the spirit" wrote: View Post

Waller has to be intimidating, and there's no actress who can do that quite like Bates.
Or... you know...Angela Bassett.
Old November 1 2012, 12:52 AM   #578
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Morena Baccarin, is awesome, and there are many times I would put her name forward, but, I don't think she is built right for Wonder Woman. In all the portrayals I can think of, Wonder Woman is a full figured, meaty girl (Not fat by any means, but, thicker). Morena is very skinny (Or at least was in V, SG-1 and Firefly)

Simon Baker is already 44, and doesn't look as Fresh Faced as that pic anymore. Should a first look at Flash be that old? A Trilogy, often takes 7 to 10 years, would Flash be OK to be 56+ year old actor in the third Movie?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 03:34 AM   #579
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Tahmoh Penikett looks like he was drawn by Frank Quitley.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 11:50 AM   #580
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Even aside from the inevitable outrage that casting a white actress as Amanda Waller would provoke, I'm surprised you'd suggest that Keith David reprise Despero and not go with the even more natural suggestion that CCH Pounder reprise Waller. She may not have the bulk for the character, but she's more than proven that she's perfect for the role in every other way.
I've got to admit, in the case of Amanda Waller, it's not a case of "Who's proven for the role" rather than "Who would I'd like to see in that role at least once". And since we've not seen, but at least heard Pounder's Waller (and she was great, no arguing there), I just thought I'd like to see Bates tackle that role.

As for the racial thing, some right-wing nuts nobody takes seriously who themselves are taken seriously aside, I didn't think it was that much of an issue. Comic characters changing skin color for adaptions has been going on since, as far as I remember, "Spawn"'s Terry Fitzgerald, and has been going on with characters such as Kingpin, Commissioner Loeb, (seemingly) Ra's al Ghul, Nick Fury (although, granted, Ultimate Nick Fury predated movieverse Nick Fury), Heimdall, and most recently, Perry White. I'm not going to take any controversy over a character changing race for an adaption seriously anymore, except if it's a character with an iconic look (like Superman) or when the race is important to the character (like Black Panther).

As for Keith David, I just like him very much, and I think he deserves to be in a big blockbuster movie, especially as the main villain.

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

Or... you know...Angela Bassett.
Wether they're going to reboot GL completely or not, that version of Waller should be retconned either way. It's not as if the character was very memorable, anyway.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Morena Baccarin, is awesome, and there are many times I would put her name forward, but, I don't think she is built right for Wonder Woman. In all the portrayals I can think of, Wonder Woman is a full figured, meaty girl (Not fat by any means, but, thicker). Morena is very skinny (Or at least was in V, SG-1 and Firefly)
Male actors normally build up for their superhero roles, why should Baccarin not be able to do that?

[QUOTE}Simon Baker is already 44, and doesn't look as Fresh Faced as that pic anymore. Should a first look at Flash be that old? A Trilogy, often takes 7 to 10 years, would Flash be OK to be 56+ year old actor in the third Movie?[/QUOTE]

Well, the accident in the lab could have happened in Barry's 40s. Who said all superheroes have to be 20-40?
I'm not following The Mentalist, but he looked okay in Margin Call.

Besides, there are many actors who played action roles well into their 50s, and beyond. And even if, we could go from Barry to Wally (screw the New52).

Nevertheless, none of my suggestions are written in stone, they are just my current picks. If someone comes up with someone I deem better suited, I'm changing my opinion. As easy as that.

Zombie Cheerleader wrote: View Post
Tahmoh Penikett looks like he was drawn by Frank Quitley.
Gotta be the mouth.

I've just learned that Penikett will appear in MoS. Depending on how large his role will be, I might have to recast Batman.

cooleddie74

Old November 1 2012, 01:25 PM   #581
Christopher
Writer

As for the racial thing, some right-wing nuts nobody takes seriously who themselves are taken seriously aside, I didn't think it was that much of an issue.
The objection in this case would be from the left. Historically, there's been great prejudice against nonwhite actors in Hollywood; they've been systematically excluded over the decades, either by having nonwhite characters rewritten as white or having them played by white actors in makeup. So while recasting a white character as nonwhite, as with Heimdall in Thor or Perry White in the upcoming Man of Steel, is seen as a progressive move, a correction of decades of discrimination. That's something the left would be fine with but that provokes outrage from people uncomfortable with racial diversity. Conversely, casting a white actress as a character who's always been black would be seen as perpetuating that tradition of discrimination and would outrage the left.

Remember, even today we're still getting nonwhite actors excluded from roles they should be getting -- the main characters in The Last Airbender and Starship Troopers, Ra's al Ghul and Bane in the Batman movies, etc. There's still a lot of prejudice, a lot of executives who assume movies with nonwhite leads can't make a profit. We're far from achieving sufficient racial neutrality in Hollywood that casting white-for-black and black-for-white can be treated as equal and interchangeable choices. It would be great if we were at such a point, but we're nowhere near it.

Old November 1 2012, 01:43 PM   #582
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Are you implying that Liam Neeson and Tom Hardy were cast because they are white and not because they are good actors that fit the roles?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 02:01 PM   #583
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Remember, even today we're still getting nonwhite actors excluded from roles they should be getting -- the main characters in The Last Airbender and Starship Troopers, Ra's al Ghul and Bane in the Batman movies, etc. There's still a lot of prejudice, a lot of executives who assume movies with nonwhite leads can't make a profit. We're far from achieving sufficient racial neutrality in Hollywood that casting white-for-black and black-for-white can be treated as equal and interchangeable choices. It would be great if we were at such a point, but we're nowhere near it.
So, what you're saying is, there would be some outrage, but ultimately, nobody cares?! So, what's the problem?
I mean, I can understand outrage over the non-Asian cast of The Last Airbender, but with Amanda Waller, race isn't a crucial part of the character.
Also, seriously, Waller is more of a villain character, and since I already cast the main villain with Keith David, wouldn't it seem even more racist if the other villainous character of the movie was also black?!

Besides, I'd make up for it by casting CCH Pounder as the US president.

cooleddie74

Old November 1 2012, 02:31 PM   #584
Christopher
Writer

So, what you're saying is, there would be some outrage, but ultimately, nobody cares?! So, what's the problem?
That's not even remotely what I'm saying and I have no clue how you could possibly have interpreted my words in that way. Of course people care, and they should care. There's still a lot of active racism and unthinking discrimination that should and must be fought.

I mean, I can understand outrage over the non-Asian cast of The Last Airbender, but with Amanda Waller, race isn't a crucial part of the character.
As I keep saying, it's not about the characters. The concern is for the actors who are trying to get good jobs in Hollywood but being deprived of opportunities because they aren't white enough. This isn't about characters, but about real live human beings and whether they have fair employment opportunities.

Also, seriously, Waller is more of a villain character, and since I already cast the main villain with Keith David, wouldn't it seem even more racist if the other villainous character of the movie was also black?!
I don't think so, since you do include John Stewart as one of the main heroes. Also, Waller isn't a strictly villainous role. She's a complex, ambiguous, important character, the kind that would be a plum in any actor's resume.

Old November 1 2012, 03:05 PM   #585
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

That's not even remotely what I'm saying and I have no clue how you could possibly have interpreted my words in that way. Of course people care, and they should care. There's still a lot of active racism and unthinking discrimination that should and must be fought.

As I keep saying, it's not about the characters. The concern is for the actors who are trying to get good jobs in Hollywood but being deprived of opportunities because they aren't white enough. This isn't about characters, but about real live human beings and whether they have fair employment opportunities.

I don't think so, since you do include John Stewart as one of the main heroes. Also, Waller isn't a strictly villainous role. She's a complex, ambiguous, important character, the kind that would be a plum in any actor's resume.
Eh, if you include his CCH as President role, that's 3 out of 10 characters he's castng that are black. The US Population is less than 30% black. Anyone crying (in this specific case of casting) of unfair opportunity for Blacks is just whining and wanting more than what's fair. The Asians and Hispanics are the ones who should be up in arms with this casting, not the Blacks

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote