RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Posts: 5,429,424
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 433
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 12 2012, 06:01 AM   #256
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
But honestly if I was a studio chief, I am not putting Kevin Smith in charge of a 200 million dollar picture with a locked in opening date.
Would you have hired Joss Whedon to direct Avengers in the first place?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 10:17 AM   #257
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

It's not his competency or professionalism, it's the lads speed.

Have you tried to buy comics off this fatass?

Years can go by between issues.

I mean sure he has priorities.

but looking back...

Getting my green Arrow comics on time or Jersy Girl?

Fuck Jersy Girl.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 02:52 PM   #258
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
The Justice League doesn't need an origin story, just start the movie with them already together. Even if you've never read a comic, you're already going to know who these people are. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman; the Flash to a certain extent, maybe Green Lantern. As Christopher said, the rest can be easily figured out as you go along. Yeah, they're the Super Friends. So what? They've gotten a shout-out on The Big Bang Theory almost every week for years now. This is DC's great advantage over Marvel, they don't need to set up the characters with solo movies in advance. Just go for it. They're the goddamn Justice League.
I agree that decades of cartoons have done a lot of the heavy lifting here. And most of the characters don't require a lot of exposition for newbies.

The Flash: he can run really fast.
Green Lantern: he has a magic ring from outer space.
Wonder Woman: she's from a magic island of warrior women.
Cyborg: he had an accident; now he's part robot.

And I'd skip Martian Manhunter. You don't really need him and Superman. Plus, Hollywood is skittish of Mars these days. (Remember "John Carter"?)
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 03:17 PM   #259
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And most of the characters don't require a lot of exposition for newbies.
It'll pretty much be the first X-men movie all over again. All of the characters outside of Wolverine didn't really matter much.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 06:33 PM   #260
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And I'd skip Martian Manhunter. You don't really need him and Superman. Plus, Hollywood is skittish of Mars these days. (Remember "John Carter"?)
Yeah, they'll probably just call him Manhunter. As far as the average studio dickhead is concerned, the failure of Mars Needs Moms means that PEOPLE HATE MARS HERP DERP.

( Speaking of the term "Manhunter", that coincidentally relates to an earlier occurrence of this phenomenon. Because Year of the Dragon underperformed, Manhunter wasn't called Red Dragon like it should have been. PEOPLE HATE THE WORD DRAGON HERP DERP. )
__________________
"Your advertising's just dandy. Folks'd never guess you ain't got a thing to sell."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 06:34 PM   #261
Dark Gilligan
Writer
 
Dark Gilligan's Avatar
 
Location: an uncharted desert isle
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

I would actually add Supergirl into the mix. She's not technically League, but she is iconic. People know her, and it certainly would help the movie's demographics to have another female aboard, especially a young teen at that.
__________________
Visit DG's website at www.darkapostle.net
Dark Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 07:37 PM   #262
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

^Supergirl would be redundant between Superman and Wonderwoman.

(then again, an NC-17 movie of Supergirl between Superman and Wonderwoman would be )
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 07:49 PM   #263
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Dream wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
But honestly if I was a studio chief, I am not putting Kevin Smith in charge of a 200 million dollar picture with a locked in opening date.
Would you have hired Joss Whedon to direct Avengers in the first place?
Yes. Why? He's been IN CHARGE of shows, run them for years. In some ways, he's been in charge of franchises, in a small TV sort of way. Which speaks to his ability to run things, on time, and in budget. He has probably generated more revenue than Kevin Smith.

Not only does Whedon have the good will of the fans, he doesn't seem like someone who studios have a problem with.

So, yes. He would've been a contender.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 08:32 PM   #264
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And I'd skip Martian Manhunter. You don't really need him and Superman. Plus, Hollywood is skittish of Mars these days. (Remember "John Carter"?)
Yeah, they'll probably just call him Manhunter. As far as the average studio dickhead is concerned, the failure of Mars Needs Moms means that PEOPLE HATE MARS HERP DERP.

( Speaking of the term "Manhunter", that coincidentally relates to an earlier occurrence of this phenomenon. Because Year of the Dragon underperformed, Manhunter wasn't called Red Dragon like it should have been. PEOPLE HATE THE WORD DRAGON HERP DERP. )
This was pretty much down to the producer Dino DeLaurentis. He had produced not only Year of the Dragon but Red Sonja, both of which flopped.

So when he bought the rights to Red Dragon, Dino, being a superstitious sort, decided that no way was he going to have a movie title that combined two of his recent flops.

Thus failing to capitalise on the enormous success of the book of Red Dragon - many readers didn't realise that Manhunter was an adaptation. And what do you know? It flopped too...
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 08:34 PM   #265
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
But honestly if I was a studio chief, I am not putting Kevin Smith in charge of a 200 million dollar picture with a locked in opening date.
Would you have hired Joss Whedon to direct Avengers in the first place?
Yes. Why? He's been IN CHARGE of shows, run them for years. In some ways, he's been in charge of franchises, in a small TV sort of way. Which speaks to his ability to run things, on time, and in budget. He has probably generated more revenue than Kevin Smith.

Not only does Whedon have the good will of the fans, he doesn't seem like someone who studios have a problem with.

So, yes. He would've been a contender.
In addition, Whedon had already directed one sci-fi film (Serenity) and episodes of various sci-fi/fantasy/adventure TV series, including Buffy, Angel and Dollhouse.

In fact, I'd say Whedon's resume at the time of Avengers was very similar to Richard Donner's at the time he was offered Superman.

In contrast, Smith has tried to branch out recently (despite having previously stated that he has no real interest in doing action movies) but, overall, his only successes have been with very small budgeted independent films with a lot of dialogue and very little action. And what action was not exactly well-done
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 09:42 PM   #266
Dark Gilligan
Writer
 
Dark Gilligan's Avatar
 
Location: an uncharted desert isle
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

sojourner wrote: View Post
^Supergirl would be redundant between Superman and Wonderwoman.
Not in terms of character and personality, which is more important than a duplication of powers. You want to get people into the theater seats. Who would you rather see instead--Black Canary, the woman who screams; or Zatanna, the woman who talks backwards?
__________________
Visit DG's website at www.darkapostle.net
Dark Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 09:53 PM   #267
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

There's always Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman, who would be well-known from her featured role in the animated JLU.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 09:57 PM   #268
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
^Supergirl would be redundant between Superman and Wonderwoman.
Not in terms of character and personality, which is more important than a duplication of powers. You want to get people into the theater seats. Who would you rather see instead--Black Canary, the woman who screams; or Zatanna, the woman who talks backwards?
All of the above.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 10:59 PM   #269
Dark Gilligan
Writer
 
Dark Gilligan's Avatar
 
Location: an uncharted desert isle
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

I'd stick with the Magnificent Seven, but swap out Aquaman and Martian Manhunter for either Supergirl and Cyborg, or the Hawks.
__________________
Visit DG's website at www.darkapostle.net
Dark Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 11:03 PM   #270
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Or swap out Aquaman for Mera . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
justice league

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.