Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 25 2013, 07:13 PM   #1
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Pacific Rim test screenings word of mouth

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about this in awhile. I happened to notice there have been two screenings of the unfinished film already, and unlike the usual bashing you heard from things like Battleship and Transformers, etc, the reviews (minus details) have been raves.

http://io9.com/5981528/pacific-rim-g...ing-new-images

http://collider.com/pacific-rim-reviews-images/
Old March 25 2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Gojira
Commodore

Re: Pacific Rim test screenings word of mouth

Not that I need any encouragement to see this I am glad to read the positive reviews. I really do think this will be a movie I will love and I think it will be a success!

There hasn't been a new trailer for a while, I hope we get a new one soon.

Last edited by Gojira; March 25 2013 at 11:43 PM.
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

even if it received scathing reviews i would still see it.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 09:02 PM   #4
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

I like to go see movies that get really low reviews. Something fun in all the hate, there really is.

I am still flabbergasted at the guy who left Might Morphan Power Rangers. I mean what did he expect it would be about? Some US Park Rangers who have the power to morph into animals? It wasn't a bad power rangers movie.....
Old March 25 2013, 09:04 PM   #5
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

This movie is one that I was seeing no matter what the reviews. Giant robots vs. Kaiju directed by Guillermo Del Toro, starring Idris Elba and Ron Perlman, and featuring the voice of GlaDOS? If this was anything other than completely awesome, I would be shocked. Even in that unlikely case, I would have to go see it to understand just how it could have gone so wrong. I am however, pleased to hear the reviews from early screenings are good.
Old March 25 2013, 09:10 PM   #6
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

The trailer rips off Iron Man too much.
Old March 25 2013, 11:35 PM   #7
Pingfah
Admiral

On paper this looks amazing. Charlie Hunnam and Ron Perlman are really good together, and Idris Elba is gravy. And the concept is just bonkers, which I like.
Old March 26 2013, 12:00 AM   #8
davejames
Vice Admiral

Considering it's Del Toro, I'll probably see it. But I have to admit I wasn't as blown away by the trailers as others have been. It basically just looked like a mashup of Transformers and Cloverfield to me. The robots and monsters looked pretty generic, and I didn't see anything terribly unique about the direction or style.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 12:06 AM   #9
JD
Admiral

Really happy to see this is getting good reviews. I was going to see it no matter what since GDT is one of my favorite directors, I love the concept, and I'm a big fan of most of the cast.
I wish I could find out if there is some way to know when and where they are doing test screenings. My mom and I got to take part in test screenings for the second two Shrek films at the local theater, and it was a cool experience that I would love to do again. The Shrek thing was actually a surprise because they didn't tell us what movies we were seeing, and I can't remember for sure if they even told us it was test screenings. I think they just gave us invites to a special event happening soon.
Old March 26 2013, 01:33 AM   #10
Mr Light
Admiral

I just hope this movie really sells the sense of scale of these skyscraper sized robots n monsters smacking the crap out of each other

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 01:47 AM   #11
Gojira
Commodore

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I just hope this movie really sells the sense of scale of these skyscraper sized robots n monsters smacking the crap out of each other
Me too! I know that is one of the things I will be looking at in this movie! I just love the thought of giant monsters roaming the earth and I get disappointed with movies that do not depict their size well.