IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old June 6 2012, 05:46 PM   #46
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: Official E3 2012 thread

Being scripted takes everything away from a game. It takes the most important aspect of a game away -- the idea of being a game. I don't play games to by dragged around by my ear while pressing X here and there to advance the plot. I want my actions and input to have an effect on what happens. It doesn't have to be a sandbox game, but even Super Mario Bros. lets you choose how you approach a situation. That's a fundamental aspect of being a game. Without that, you might as well save me some money and release a movie instead.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 07:21 PM   #47
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Old June 6 2012, 09:32 PM   #48
Jax
Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Being scripted takes everything away from a game. It takes the most important aspect of a game away -- the idea of being a game. I don't play games to by dragged around by my ear while pressing X here and there to advance the plot. I want my actions and input to have an effect on what happens. It doesn't have to be a sandbox game, but even Super Mario Bros. lets you choose how you approach a situation. That's a fundamental aspect of being a game. Without that, you might as well save me some money and release a movie instead.
Super Mario is heavily scripted, its a linear 2D franchise originally (the 3D game moves away from that slightly but still scripted). Open world games are cool but they still follow a scripted story in the end and offer illusions of choice more than you think. Also open world games can sometime become too loose n empty due to having a lack of a central path. I also disagree you can't choose how to lets you choose how to approach a situation in scripted games, they offer you a narrow focused story but you generally get choice in how to go about things. Uncharted works well because its so scripted like a movie, I have huge faith in Naughtydog with their new IP.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 12:28 AM   #49
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
Super Mario is heavily scripted, its a linear 2D franchise originally (the 3D game moves away from that slightly but still scripted).
Being scripted has nothing at all to do with being linear. None of the 2D Mario games are scripted.

Of course, I thought Uncharted was terrible, so I think we're just looking for different things in games. I'm not interested in a "cinematic" or "immersive" experience; I just want good gameplay.

Last edited by Kelthaz; June 7 2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old June 7 2012, 02:01 AM   #50
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
HotRod wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
And so far I see no reason to upgrade from my PS2.
Your loss.
Since the Wii U looks so poor, I'm waiting so see if the XBOX 3 and PS4 are any better.
Depends what you're looking for, it's all about that controller and experience, but I don't think it's much more potent hardwarewise than the current generation. I'm sure the next iteration of XBox and Playstation will likely smoke it in terms of sheer muscle.

I think Nintendo and its casual type gaming might have suffered from the phones and tablets taking some of its thunder. I just don't see Wii U having the same impact as its predecessor but then again they often suprise me.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 02:27 AM   #51
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I don't want to discount Nintendo after their brilliant surprise success of the Wii, but I don't think that trick can be played twice. Nintendo is going to have a hell of a time convincing casual Wii owners to upgrade to the Wii U.

Old June 7 2012, 04:35 AM   #52
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I thought Zombi U looked like the best use and itegration of the Wii U tablet controller. Some like Rayman Origins it seemed almost like the TV was just in the way and it could just have been an iPad or whatever game.
Old June 7 2012, 11:15 AM   #53
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

I was not very impressed with the 3DS, more games are being released and the system updates and online store/apps are getting much better, but having owned a DSlite before it, it's just not as good. I don't want to see the Wii U end up much the same way.

Just feel like getting something a little heavier, up to date like the XB/PS range. The red ring/yellow led faults put me off the current ones for the longest time.
Old June 7 2012, 08:58 PM   #54
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

I'm somewhat disappointed that Square Enix have not announced the next game in the main Final Fantasy series. Obviously, they are still trying to rescue the disaster that is XIV, so XV's announcement may be held off until next year.

I'm maybe one of the few people that actually wants a Final Fantasy XIII-3, sure the gameplay isn't traditional FF and everyone shits all over various aspects of the games, but I find the story and characters engrossing. I think a third game will finish off the story nicely and undo some of the damage that FFXIII-2's foray into comedy territory did. So with FFXIII-3, SE has a trilogy that they can market as the "Fal'Cie trilogy" or the "Cocoon trilogy" and release a collectors edition that includes all three games and various other goodies.

Now we know that SE is probably going to debut a new engine, as seen with the "Agni's Philosophy" tech demo, surely they want to get the most out of Crystal Tools before it becomes redundant (which could be as soon as FFXV)? Therefore, they should make (which I suspect they already have and have probably finished at least 50% of) FFXIII-3 and satisfy me!!
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 09:57 PM   #55
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Cracked takes on the Nintendo Wii U conference.

5 Ways We Know Nintendo Has Lost Its Mind

Old June 7 2012, 11:58 PM   #56
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Cracked takes on the Nintendo Wii U conference.

5 Ways We Know Nintendo Has Lost Its Mind
Ouch. Pretty brutal.
Old June 8 2012, 12:07 AM   #57
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Nintendo is such a joke now.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 12:16 AM   #58
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

I knew it was going to be bad, but damn.
Old June 8 2012, 12:33 AM   #59
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Nintendo has been a joke for around 5 years, it's just that they somehow made assloads of money in that time. The problem with the Wii U is that, unlike the Wii, non-gamers just don't get it. The Wii was easy to understand, you swung the controller like a loon and your movements would be vaguely replicated on the screen. The Wii U's controller isn't as intuitive, it actually looks more complicated than an Xbox or PS controller, and that risks scaring away all the new consumers they won over with the Wii.
Old June 8 2012, 01:31 AM   #60
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I think a Kinect-style system would have been most natural progression for the next Wii but Nintendo's hand was forced when MS did it first.

I can so easily see Reggie pushing that, "You don't have a controller, you ARE the controller.".