TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 3 2012, 03:00 AM   #31
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: When is DC's The New 52 going to revert back to the original unive

sojourner wrote: View Post
I'm still waiting for it to revert back to pre Crisis on Infinite Earths.
The New 52 IS essentially the pre-crisis DC universe. The guys running the show at DC are silver age guys and they've essentially jettisoned everything that came afterwards in favor of silver age story telling.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2012, 03:50 AM   #32
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

That's nice and all but I really like the Golden Age...
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2012, 03:56 AM   #33
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
The New 52 IS essentially the pre-crisis DC universe. The guys running the show at DC are silver age guys and they've essentially jettisoned everything that came afterwards in favor of silver age story telling.
There's nothing "Silver Agish" about the current narrative approach. The return to older versions of some of the characters, maybe, but not the stories.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2012, 04:16 AM   #34
shivkala
Rear Admiral

At best, and this is a long-shot, they'd somehow find a way to integrate what worked pre-"New 52" with what's worked in the "New 52." As others pointed out, they're not going to revert back with Wonder Woman anytime soon. Really, all the Batman and Green Lantern titles need is allowing the creators to extend the characters timelines back further than 5 years and some minor tweaks to fix problems that occurred in the characters histories (such as the issues with the Robins and the fate of Alex DeWitt for Kyle Raynor that Newsarama recently pointed out). Superman is arguably in a better place now than in years and certainly in a much better place than his recent "Walk Across America" which was almost universally panned.

Honestly, I see more good in the "New-52" than bad. I say this as a fan of the Justice Society being on "our" earth and the legacy aspect DC ran with for decades. I was also a bigger fan of the pre-"New-52" Firestorms and Blue Beetles than of their current versions. Despite all of this, going back would be a mistake. I personally think Wonder Woman and Superman were at best boring and at worst horrible for most of 2010-2011. I was not a fan of "New Krypton," either. I also wasn't a fan of the Justice League since, well the early 2000's when Waid wrote it. I dropped Justice Society a few issues after Willingham and Sturges took over. I'm not a fan of Justice League or Earth 2, but I will concede they are better stories than what was being told before. And while, again Firestorm and Blue Beetle are disappointments for me, it's not as if either had an on-going title that was well written right before Flashpoint, either. Dwayne McDuffie wrote a decent 3-parter to end the series, but really, it was early 2007 when Stuart Moore left Firestorm and mid 2008 when John Rogers left Blue Beetle (as with JSA, I wasn't a big fan of Matt Sturges on this title, either) when I last was in love with how these characters were written.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2012, 04:59 AM   #35
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
Except for the stuff they didn't. (GL and Batman). Superboy isn't Superman as a boy. The Teens Titans aren't sidekicks. I don't recall a Stormwatch in the Silver Age. So far the stories aren't very Silver Age either. They aren't done in ones, with little or no characterization.
Old June 3 2012, 02:57 PM   #36
the G-man
Commodore

Every reboot, DC eventually starts working old stuff back in to one degree or another.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2012, 06:54 PM   #37
sojourner
Admiral

^They have to to keep the copyrights from expiring.
Old June 3 2012, 06:59 PM   #38
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

I think he referring more to concepts and storylines more so than characters.
Old June 3 2012, 08:03 PM   #39
the G-man
Commodore

Yeah. Look at Superman, for example.

They did a soft reboot in the early 70s: Wiped out kryptonite, weakened Superman, made Clark a TV reporter, etc. But by the early 80s, kryptonite was back, Superman was back up to silver age power levels and Clark was working for both GBS and the Planet.

Then, Byrne came along and did the hard reboot. No other Kryptonians, a less powerful Superman, a sterile Krypton, not being friends with Batman, etc. But then DC quickly brought in a new Supergirl, a new Superboy, etc. and we even got a more "silver age"ish version Krypton eventually. Meanwhile, Superman was getting more powerful, while he and Batman became buddies again. By the end of the pre-New 52 era, Superman was pretty much the same as he was pre-Byrne, except for the Lois-Clark marriage.

I suspect we'll see the same sort of thing again with this latest reboot as writers come in and insist on playing with the characters and concepts they grew up with.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2012, 08:44 PM   #40
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

There's a pattern of shaking things up to get people's attention when things are in too much a moribund status quo and then going back to the core concepts that provide characters with their enduring popularity.
Old June 4 2012, 08:29 PM   #41
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, the point of these exercises is not to dispose permanently of previously used characters and ideas, but to provide a new or more recent entry-point for new audience...among other things. I think every "new approach" by either major for the last decade or more has had one eye on making the characters more accessible to other media.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2012, 09:01 PM   #42
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Which is not always a bad idea. I always thought Marvel kind of dropped the ball when the first X-Men movie hit. Any moviegoer inspired to pick up an issue after seeing the film would have found themselves caught in the middle of some typically byzantine, convoluted storyline buried deep in years of continuity. The timing was all off; the stories running in the comics when the movie hit couldn't have been less accessible to the casual reader . . . .
Old June 4 2012, 10:03 PM   #43
nvek86
Commander

Which is probably why comics don't really see a big sale spikes when a film comes out.
Old June 4 2012, 10:13 PM   #44
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

The success of "X-Men" though at the box office along with those lagging sales though motivated Marvel to revamp the X-Men line, and we got the Morrison run. We also got Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men run as well.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2012, 10:31 PM   #45
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

nvek86 wrote: View Post
Which is probably why comics don't really see a big sale spikes when a film comes out.
Depends on the comics in question. The Batman comics got a huge boost from the movie in 1989. Since then superhero comics in the regular DC or Marvel shared universes haven't seen much of a sales boost when movies come out, but comics that are standalones can still get huge sales boosts from films. The Scott Pilgrim books, the Sin City books, Watchmen, and 300, for example, sold in massive numbers when their respective movies were released. So even movies that underperform at the box office, such as Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Watchmen, can drive book sales way above their usual level.