The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Prometheus - Poll
A + 16 6.90%
A 27 11.64%
A - 32 13.79%
B + 43 18.53%
B 33 14.22%
B - 21 9.05%
C + 19 8.19%
C 8 3.45%
C - 15 6.47%
D 12 5.17%
F 6 2.59%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 10 2012, 12:37 AM   #886
TemporalFlux
Commodore

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

The part that amazes me...what in blazes was an extra 100 million dollars going to do for this movie?
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 09:24 PM   #887
Mooch
Fleet Captain

It looks like Prometheus might squeak past $300 million worldwide. It's currently sitting at $299,679,925. Probably enough to be profitable, especially with DVD sales.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 09:44 PM   #888
Harvey
Admiral

It'll definitely make it past $300 million. I suspect it will finish its run in theatres at $303-310 million, depending on how it does overseas (in the UK, not surprisingly, Scott's film has been doing quite well). Is it enough to warrant a sequel? I'm not sure -- but I hope so. Unlike Alien, Prometheus isn't really a complete narrative. Hopefully they won't try to stretch it to a trilogy, though.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 09:58 PM   #889
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Unlike Alien, Prometheus isn't really a complete narrative. Hopefully they won't try to stretch it to a trilogy, though.
While it's still got areas to explore I think overall the film works, it's main flaw imo are the poor secondary characters.

Scott has said he has this structured as a trilogy though.
I'm too rushed right now to track down a link at the moment though.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 10:53 PM   #890
Flavius
Vice Admiral

Ridley Scott wil turn only 75 this fall, so he still has plenty time to shoot another couple of those, since in the next few years he's only producing TV shows and another Blade Runner - if you go by what has been announced.

Eastwood is like - a hundred years old now, and he's till going strong, even does appear on Reality TV now. Scott can be productive easily for another 25 years.-
Old July 19 2012, 03:25 AM   #891
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
If there was any sense in this world, Lindelof would have difficulties finding employment in Hollywood after this. This was a potentially great movie that was single-handedly ruined by a terrible script.
Terrible movie script and terrible sales? Your career in Hollywood is history, unless you're really well connected and can attribute it to things beyond your control. Or, let enough time go by for people to forget... sometimes you can remake yourself, like what happened with Mickey Rourke.

Terrible movie script, mixed movie reception, and reasonably profitable sales? You're still good and shouldn't have trouble getting more work.

Good script, well liked movie, and nicely profitable sales? You're sought out and can almost write your own ticket.

Great script, Oscar awards, and blockbuster sales? You're not only writing your own ticket, you're telling the movie houses what movies you're making and they just nod "yes" as they fork over the funds.
Old July 19 2012, 03:30 AM   #892
Gary7
Rear Admiral

The glorification of this movie being a semi-prequel to "Alien" seems to have been over leveraged for this film. Ridley Scott, the celebrated master director. While he is certainly one of the better directors around, you'd think with the positioning of this movie it would be at least as good as Alien, if not falling a little behind it. But the TBBS opinions on this movie are all over the place. There's no clear concensus on this being a terrific or really good movie.

Sci wrote: View Post
Very disappointed. The film is dramatically arbitrary, full of characters who make irrational or even self-destructive choices for no discernible reason other than that it's necessary for the plot to unfold.
When you employ people on a very expensive mission, you make sure they're top notch and highly qualified. They won't be idiots at the sign of the first crisis because failure is an expensive consequence. Immensely expensive in this case. So, it's very disheartening to hear that they behave like this.

Was part of the problem due to the editing? Was enough captured on film whereas a better editing job could have resulted in a finer film? If 30 minutes were cut, I really wonder how much of that would have contributed to a welcomed improvement.

So... it's another sci-fi movie with a lot of eye candy to make up for the deficiencies? That's a huge disappointment. I've been holding off on seeing it but if the eye candy is as good as reported, then I'll have to catch it before it leaves the theaters. I just hope I'm not as sorely disappointed as so many people have been.

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
Wow--very interesting treatise on the movie.

Anyway... I'm really baffled how productions with such deep pockets can invest so much then screw it up with trivial mistakes that could have been avoided. Can't they see it coming as editing results unfold? I wonder how much Lindelof co-wrote the screen play. I have to say, this guy puts on a bit more show than I feel telegraphs real talent. While some characters on LOST made stupid mistakes, they were mostly believable people. But in this movie? You'd think with all of his experience he'd have more sensibility on making characters more intelligent and thoughtful. But no, it sounds like he throws that out the window. Another seductive beginning and unfinished ending kind of deal.

Last edited by Gary7; July 19 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 06:09 PM   #893
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Gary7 wrote: View Post
While some characters on LOST made stupid mistakes, they were mostly believable people.
They totally weren't. Nobody would at all behave like the characters on LOST.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 06:18 PM   #894
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Even if the script sucks, I still recommend seeing the flick because it has an epic grandeur to it that is undeniable. And it's probably best seen in the theatre.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 08:08 PM   #895
Gary7
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
They totally weren't. Nobody would at all behave like the characters on LOST.
Thanks for your sweeping generalization. Sure there were some characters that were difficult to believe, but I found a number of them quite believable in an admittedly unbelievable situation.
Old July 23 2012, 12:28 AM   #896
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I've just seen it, and holy shit! It truly is that bad. The characters, every single one of them, are full blown idiots. The only guy who is not an irrational stupid, is the Captain. Until he pointlessly kills himself and the two others. Autopilot anyone?

Even the Engineers were stupid. I guess they found the black goo and those vagina cobras just as cute and played around with them.

Speaking of Engineers... it would have been something had the Engineer they've woken up in the end actually recognized friend from foe. He wakes up after 2000 years of sleep. Shaw talks to him, gets beaten up by the other guys. I would have expected that he would have at least TRIED to understand what the hell was going on all of a sudden.

Last edited by JarodRussell; July 23 2012 at 01:23 AM.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 04:18 AM   #897
Trek4Ever
Fleet Captain

Biggest disappointment for the year so far. Maybe Scott shouldn't bother with that Blade Runner sequel.
Trek4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 04:43 AM   #898
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Well, chaos diverted me from seeing it this weekend. I think I may just skip it after all and save my money...
Old July 23 2012, 07:34 AM   #899
gturner
Admiral

Gary7 wrote: View Post
Was part of the problem due to the editing? Was enough captured on film whereas a better editing job could have resulted in a finer film? If 30 minutes were cut, I really wonder how much of that would have contributed to a welcomed improvement.
Heck, they could've turned it into a different movie with a 15-second subtitle. When the revived Ancient grabs the android, just add some text so he says "This planet is level 14 quarantined! None of you may leave or you'll spread the infection to other worlds!" Then the android says, "But we must return." and the alien says "So be it. I must kill you to save your species."

Boom. Whole new movie.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 11:17 AM   #900
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I've just seen it, and holy shit! It truly is that bad. The characters, every single one of them, are full blown idiots. The only guy who is not an irrational stupid, is the Captain. Until he pointlessly kills himself and the two others. Autopilot anyone?
What really got me was the stupid grin on their faces as they needlessly agreed to sacrifice themselves with him, just... because.