RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,673
Members: 24,201
Currently online: 576
Newest member: KieBH84

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Prometheus - Poll
A + 16 6.90%
A 27 11.64%
A - 32 13.79%
B + 43 18.53%
B 33 14.22%
B - 21 9.05%
C + 19 8.19%
C 8 3.45%
C - 15 6.47%
D 12 5.17%
F 6 2.59%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 7 2012, 12:33 AM   #76
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

throwback wrote: View Post
For me, up to that point when he entered that room, Brett believed that he was hunting for a small creature. However, upon further reflection, I agree with you that he acted stupidly when, after finding the shedded skin, instead of reporting his discovery to the crew, Brett decided to proceed further into the room, and placed himself in greater danger. Another moment that can be argued for a case of stupidity is when the captain went alone into the vents without a partner. So, in conclusion, I retract what I said earlier about the first movie.
Well to be fair, even with the shedded skin Brett had no reason to believe the creature would had grown THAT much from before. And animals like snakes shed their skin for lots of other, more mundane reasons than just their growing size.

Plus, he probably just didn't want the others calling him a pussy for running away.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 12:37 AM   #77
Pauln6
Commodore

For me, up to that point when he entered that room, Brett believed that he was hunting for a small creature. However, upon further reflection, I agree with you that he acted stupidly when, after finding the shedded skin, instead of reporting his discovery to the crew, Brett decided to proceed further into the room, and placed himself in greater danger. Another moment that can be argued for a case of stupidity is when the captain went alone into the vents without a partner. So, in conclusion, I retract what I said earlier about the first movie.
Yeah Brett should have called in the others at that point but his actions were still nowhere near as dumb as playing coochy coo with a completely unknown snakelike alien entity.

Dallas was pretty foolish to go into the ducts on his own but at least he had a flame thrower.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 01:07 AM   #78
Capt_Pickirk
Fleet Captain

I saw this earlier today....

I've tried to avoid most of the promotional material, and go in with an open mind and a clean slate...

The film is kind of.... meh....

The first half and hour or so are great but the film goes downhill fast. While the acting and the visuals are great, they don't save the clumsily structured mess that is on screen.

The most suspenseful scenes are when it evokes imagery and scenes from Alien. The film suffers from having too many characters and being poorly paced. It felt very disjointed, almost as if it's like it's the first three episodes of a visually interesting twelve part mini-series spliced together rather poorly and trimmed to feature length by an amateur. It's kind of let down by the lack of a clear protagonist.

On the plus side, Michael Fassbender is fantastic as David the Android and, like I said before, the visuals are great. I also love the use of practical effects in this film.

Also, an urgent note to Ridley Scott, old people should be portrayed by old actors not middle aged actors in really bad halloween masks. The 3D isn't anything to write home about. Overall, the film was very lackluster and choppy. Very disappointing.

RIP Doctor Who 1963-1996
Capt_Pickirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 01:09 AM   #79
MacLeod
Admiral

Can someone name one movie where scientists acted as scientists, and not as buffoons? I can't think of one.
The Andromeda Strain, perhaps.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 03:56 AM   #80
Aragorn
Admiral

Roger Ebert gives this movie four stars.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 05:22 AM   #81
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Roger Ebert gives this movie four stars.
What. I mean, I'm still looking forward to Prometheus, but if even half of the (very consistent from review-to-reviewer) criticisms I've read of it are accurate, it will be far, far from a perfect film.

Then again, this is the guy who gave Knowing four stars, so maybe he just likes vague, choppy, and pretentious sci-fi.
Old June 7 2012, 06:41 AM   #82
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

The most boring, piece of shite movie I've seen this year. Its worse than John Carter and Battleship combined. Ridley Scott has made a FAILWHALE of a movie. Not only is the story basically the most idiotic premise I've ever seen, but they basically stole.. yes, STOLE, two different plot points from duggone AvP (2004). Seriously, yes. The logic was stupid, the characters are illogical, the theme a complete and utter mess. How Ridley or FOX thought this was a filmable script, let alone a good one, baffles me to no end.

I gave it an F. Rightfully so. And even then am being generous.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 07:44 AM   #83
Pauln6
Commodore

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Can someone name one movie where scientists acted as scientists, and not as buffoons? I can't think of one.
The original movie was incredibly good. I was blown away by it. The more recent mini-series remake, far less so. The recent movie with Kate Winslet, Matt Damon, & Gwyneth Paltrow - Infection? - was very good too.

Old June 7 2012, 07:46 AM   #84
Pauln6
Commodore

Capt_Pickirk wrote: View Post
The first half and hour or so are great but the film goes downhill fast. While the acting and the visuals are great, they don't save the clumsily structured mess that is on screen.

The most suspenseful scenes are when it evokes imagery and scenes from Alien. The film suffers from having too many characters and being poorly paced.

On the plus side, Michael Fassbender is fantastic as David the Android and, like I said before, the visuals are great. I also love the use of practical effects in this film.

Also, an urgent note to Ridley Scott, old people should be portrayed by old actors not middle aged actors in really bad halloween masks. The 3D isn't anything to write home about. Overall, the film was very lackluster and choppy. Very disappointing.
Very good points and yeah, the first few scenes were really well done. It started to go downhill when they arrived at the planet.

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
Not only is the story basically the most idiotic premise I've ever seen, but they basically stole.. yes, STOLE, two different plot points from duggone AvP (2004).
I can't criticise, I ripped off pretty similar plot points in a Star Trek/Alien crossover story posted on Youtube. Fortunately for me, I was using stills from TMP so I couldn't do a schlocky action story; I had no choice but to go for suspense, which is quite hard to do with a bunch of people in pyjamas. My story was cheesy and derivative too and I suffered from trying to include too many characters but I like to think that those characters didn't behave like imbeciles.

Last edited by Pauln6; June 7 2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old June 7 2012, 01:10 PM   #85
MacLeod
Admiral

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
The original movie was incredibly good. I was blown away by it. The more recent mini-series remake, far less so. The recent movie with Kate Winslet, Matt Damon, & Gwyneth Paltrow - Infection? - was very good too.
I was naturally thinking about the original movie, from memory I had to turn off the recent mini-series when I tried to watch it.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 06:15 PM   #86
yenny
Captain

According to news reports. Prometheus had already been shown in theaters in the UK. According to their box office results, it is the number one film there.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 06:18 PM   #87
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Of course it is. There was so much anticipation for it. I'm doubting it'll do well on the second week though.
Old June 7 2012, 06:31 PM   #88
Kirkman1987
Commodore

I just saw the film and I can't believe all the mixed reviews. This film is excellent. A+. Ebert's four star review is correct.

Fassbender's David earns his place alongside Holm's Ash and Henrikson's Bishop, The visuals are stunning, the horror scenes wonderful (That part with Repace in the operating machine ) I think this is a great addition to the Alien universe and I want more.

I do agree that it's obvious some stuff was cut, and I'm sure Scott will do a director's cut for video. (wouldn't be an alien film without multiple cuts right ) I didn't detract much from my experience though. I thought the themes were handled well, and I'm glad the film doesn't leave us with a simple answer to all the questions it poses.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 06:45 PM   #89
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Kirkman1987 wrote: View Post
I thought the themes were handled well, and I'm glad the film doesn't leave us with a simple answer to all the questions it poses.
I don't understand your point of view. Yes, the movie raises some basic questions about the origin of human life, but it never addresses them in any significant way, except to have a couple of characters tell us that these things are Very Important.

Where do we come from? What does it mean for us to meet our creators? It's not so much that the film doesn't leave us with a simple answer: the film doesn't even bother to explore its premise and it does nothing at all with these questions; it just brings them up and that's it.

So I'd be interested to know what in the movie lead you to think that the themes were handled well. What did I miss?
Old June 7 2012, 06:52 PM   #90
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Outbreak - kind of...