Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Prometheus - Poll
A + 16 6.90%
A 27 11.64%
A - 32 13.79%
B + 43 18.53%
B 33 14.22%
B - 21 9.05%
C + 19 8.19%
C 8 3.45%
C - 15 6.47%
D 12 5.17%
F 6 2.59%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 5 2012, 11:54 PM   #61
Pauln6
Commodore

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

I enjoyed it but I think my expectations were too high so it only gets a C+.

On the plus side, Fassbender's David is fantastic and the movie's early scenes with him on the ship were nicely done. The sets and actors look great, and the concept is really cool.

However, I don't know if it's just that shoddy writing has become more acceptable in the last 25+ years or if I'm being hyper-critical but I was disappointed in the movie overall.

I watched Alien on TV the other night just to get myself in the mood and there really isn't much comparison in the quality of the storytelling (all Alien needs is a bit of CGI in the closing scene when the alien is blasted out the hatch and the movie would not date at all).

For me the story started to go downhill once the crew started to interact. They did a really poor job of establishing the characters early on, many of whom, for some inexplicable reason, had not even met before setting off...? Even at the end of the movie there were several characters running around who had done nothing more than deliver a few lines of dialogue. I genuinely believed that Charlie was Elizabeth's gay best friend rather than her lover until it became obvious, quite far into the movie, that this wasn't meant to be the case - there was very little chemistry there at all.

What jarred the most though was the lack of realism in the characters' behaviour. In Alien we were dealing with working class joe public; in Aliens we were dealing with boneheaded marines; in Alien 3 we were dealing with criminals but in this movie we were supposed to be dealing with scientists. Why then did they go charging in like idiots?

They didn't set up a lab on the planet to examine finds without risking contaminating the ship, they took helmets off without taking samples of the air for bacterial or viral analysis, we had a geologist who didn't even carry a samples case and a biologist who wasn't even carrying a basic testing kit. In one scene somebody asks why the water isn't frozen given the temperature - do they stop to take a sample to find out? No! Someone says, "Maybe it isn't water," and on they go, wading through this unknown substance without a care in the world.

They claim to have a quarantine procedure but given that their basic safety protocols are lacking, they would have had to quarantine the entire crew.

In short, their scientific method was shambolic and it really dragged me, almost weeping, out of what should have been a decent story.

The plot was a bit obvious compared to the first two Alien movies. I was mildly offended when one of the characters, despite having a serious injury, was performing physical, one might even say, acrobatic, activities with little more than the odd wince of pain. Given the larger cast, I would have much preferred it if they had taken a leaf out of Contagion's book to keep us on our toes with several leads, any of whom could die at any moment, sharing the burden of action hero among them.

Overall, I did enjoy it but it fell quite a way short of what I was hopng for. If Del Toro wants to make in the Mountains of Madness there is plenty of room left to do a better, more atmospheric job.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 10:50 AM   #62
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah I can accept people in the other Alien films fucking up because they're all out of their comfort zone (with the exception of Ripley after the first one) but the guys in this should have been right in their comfort zone, at least up to a point.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I didn't enjoy it, but I was still massively underwhelmed. The film looks great, but like an old Hollywood set once you go behind the facade there's nothing there holding it up.

The script is a total mess in places, as people have said characters do random things for random purposes, and how the hell Shaw runs around during the last portion of the film beggers belief!

Rapace is no Sigourney Weaver, Theron isn't given enough to do and is then
and Idris Elba could have been the beating heart of the film, except he's forgotten about until the end.

Hats off to Michael Fassbender though, he is is the best thing about this by miles, and his David really deserved to be in a better film.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 11:19 AM   #63
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

These results are disappointing. I was sort of hoping Bob had been excessively critical but it doesn't appear so.
Old June 6 2012, 11:26 AM   #64
Starkers
Admiral

Well in the interests of fairness I went with my best mate and he really enjoyed it, said he thought it was a true cinematic event.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 11:50 AM   #65
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Deckerd wrote: View Post
These results are disappointing. I was sort of hoping Bob had been excessively critical but it doesn't appear so.
I was, but I stand by my excessive criticism.
Old June 6 2012, 12:24 PM   #66
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
They didn't set up a lab on the planet to examine finds without risking contaminating the ship, they took helmets off without taking samples of the air for bacterial or viral analysis, we had a geologist who didn't even carry a samples case and a biologist who wasn't even carrying a basic testing kit.
What bothered me far more was that these characters don't behave like actual people. Nothing they say or do rings true from an emotional perspective:

Suspension of disbelief is crucial for the scientific/tech stuff, but it shouldn't be required for the characters' behavior.
Old June 6 2012, 04:54 PM   #67
wahwahkits
Commander

View wahwahkits's Twitter Profile

I was very underwhelmed by it. On the plus side the cinematography is beautiful and Fassbender and Theron are on fine form but the script left me cold.
I think it will get better with repeated viewings and so i'll no doubt buy it on blu-ray.
wahwahkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 05:56 PM   #68
throwback
Captain

Can someone name one movie where scientists acted as scientists, and not as buffoons? I can't think of one.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 06:19 PM   #69
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

throwback wrote: View Post
Can someone name one movie where scientists acted as scientists, and not as buffoons? I can't think of one.
Certainly, my boy. The Monster of Phantom Lake and its sequel It Came From Another World are exactly what you're asking about. The star is a Professor of Science, who thinks and acts like a scientist should, with an incredible thirst for scientific knowledge.
Old June 6 2012, 08:01 PM   #70
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

The scientists also behaved like absolute idiots when they couldn't wait a few extra hours after travelling for 2+ years. It was more like a school trip for a bunch of ADSD-afflicted kids. I blame the recruiters at Weyland Corp, who obviously put way much faith in the candidates' LinkedIn profiles.
Old June 6 2012, 08:16 PM   #71
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

So you're saying it was like driving a short bus to Disney World and every seat had a steering wheel?
Old June 6 2012, 09:17 PM   #72
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Pretty much. However, idiot plot syndrome is pretty much ubiquitous in any movie set in the Alien universe. The ride is great until you start to think.
Old June 6 2012, 09:42 PM   #73
throwback
Captain

I think the only exception to that rule is the first movie. In that movie, I think the biggest issue was not stupidity, but the corporate culture in which the characters inhabited. This culture and the expectations it placed on its inhabitants doomed the Nostromo.

The second film had one major stupid thing - they didn't check the space above the ceiling. Otherwise, I think the Marines had become complacent and were led by an inexperienced leader.
Old June 6 2012, 10:24 PM   #74
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

throwback wrote: View Post
I think the only exception to that rule is the first movie. In that movie, I think the biggest issue was not stupidity, but the corporate culture in which the characters inhabited. This culture and the expectations it placed on its inhabitants doomed the Nostromo.
They made some idiotic decisions i.e. Harry Dean Stanton wondering off alone after the cat and then closing his eyes, standing in the middle of a very open room. I don't disagree about the corporate culture but I do disagree that they didn't make dumb decisions.
Old June 6 2012, 11:23 PM   #75
throwback
Captain

For me, up to that point when he entered that room, Brett believed that he was hunting for a small creature. However, upon further reflection, I agree with you that he acted stupidly when, after finding the shedded skin, instead of reporting his discovery to the crew, Brett decided to proceed further into the room, and placed himself in greater danger. Another moment that can be argued for a case of stupidity is when the captain went alone into the vents without a partner. So, in conclusion, I retract what I said earlier about the first movie.