RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,205
Posts: 5,437,152
Members: 24,951
Currently online: 652
Newest member: Zaminhon

TrekToday headlines

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Prometheus - Poll
A + 16 6.90%
A 27 11.64%
A - 32 13.79%
B + 43 18.53%
B 33 14.22%
B - 21 9.05%
C + 19 8.19%
C 8 3.45%
C - 15 6.47%
D 12 5.17%
F 6 2.59%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 18 2012, 12:02 AM   #586
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

RoJoHen wrote: View Post

My thoughts on this were that the Engineers represented Humanity's evolutionary future. Perhaps a few million years ago, the Engineers looked much like us. Overtime, however, they grew larger, lost their hair, and turned grey. Maybe that's where we're headed. Humans have been getting taller over the centuries.
Which again would ignore Darwin in order for that to make sense. OR that we as a race will have the exact same environmental influences for millions of years.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 12:03 AM   #587
Shurik
Fleet Captain
 
Shurik's Avatar
 
Location: Haifa, Israel
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

The whole movie sorta fails at science... it's a science fiction film written by people who I wonder even have a passing knowledge of science and how science work.
Exactly. Also, it fails at portraying scientists. Those idiots are on the alien planet, have just made probably the greatest discovery in the human history, and then the biologist runs away at first sight of alien life and the geologist claims that he has nothing to do there? Where is their curiosity? For a real scientist, being in this situation should be like being a kid in a candy store.
__________________
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose
Shurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 12:05 AM   #588
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Shurik wrote: View Post
The whole movie sorta fails at science... it's a science fiction film written by people who I wonder even have a passing knowledge of science and how science work.
Exactly. Also, it fails at portraying scientists. Those idiots are on the alien planet, have just made probably the greatest discovery in the human history, and then the biologist runs away at first sight of alien life and the geologist claims that he has nothing to do there? Where is their curiosity? For a real scientist, being in this situation should be like being a kid in a candy store.
And not to be out done, what about Hipster Archaeology guy.... during the autopsy, he could barely be bothered... the BIGGEST discovery of LIFETIMES... and he could barely sit there... maybe he wanted to go listen to some emo music and write poetry...
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 12:07 AM   #589
banzaiduck
Lieutenant
 
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

tighr wrote: View Post
banzaiduck wrote: View Post
Indeed, Lindelof might prove to be a bit of a one hit wonder.

For anyone interested, there's an insightful and admittedly protracted interview with Lindelof on the Kevin Pollack show where he discusses Prometheus in passing.
Care to point out a time in the video? It's over two hours long, I'm not keen on watching that whole thing.
Sure, 2:18.43.

I would recommend people check out the earlier portions as well as he discusses in detail the inception of LOST and many of the behind the scenes happenings.

BANZAI!!!!!!!!
banzaiduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 12:08 AM   #590
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post

My thoughts on this were that the Engineers represented Humanity's evolutionary future. Perhaps a few million years ago, the Engineers looked much like us. Overtime, however, they grew larger, lost their hair, and turned grey. Maybe that's where we're headed. Humans have been getting taller over the centuries.
Which again would ignore Darwin in order for that to make sense. OR that we as a race will have the exact same environmental influences for millions of years.
Well, it's also possible that we started with their DNA and then evolved on our own as a result of Earth's environment. Maybe we'll never look like the Engineers.

I am admittedly not a geneticist, but how does our DNA compare to our own ancient "humans?" Do the base pairs change, or are their other things that are affected by evolution? Perhaps the 100% match is of chromosomes? Could the same chromosomes result in a different outward appearance if two organisms grew up in different environments?
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 12:12 AM   #591
I Am Groot
I Am Groot
 
I Am Groot's Avatar
 
Location: I Am Groot
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Shurik wrote: View Post
The whole movie sorta fails at science... it's a science fiction film written by people who I wonder even have a passing knowledge of science and how science work.
Exactly. Also, it fails at portraying scientists. Those idiots are on the alien planet, have just made probably the greatest discovery in the human history, and then the biologist runs away at first sight of alien life and the geologist claims that he has nothing to do there? Where is their curiosity? For a real scientist, being in this situation should be like being a kid in a candy store.
And not to be out done, what about Hipster Archaeology guy.... during the autopsy, he could barely be bothered... the BIGGEST discovery of LIFETIMES... and he could barely sit there... maybe he wanted to go listen to some emo music and write poetry...
Yeah, Holloway was annoying too. Okay, so you didn't get to speak directly to the Gods, but it's still the most amazing discovery in history. But he just pouts around the ship like a kid who didn't get a toy for Christmas and starts acting like a dick to the android.
__________________
We are Groot and Locutus of Bored.
I Am Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 12:14 AM   #592
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Shurik wrote: View Post
Exactly. Also, it fails at portraying scientists. Those idiots are on the alien planet, have just made probably the greatest discovery in the human history, and then the biologist runs away at first sight of alien life and the geologist claims that he has nothing to do there? Where is their curiosity? For a real scientist, being in this situation should be like being a kid in a candy store.
And not to be out done, what about Hipster Archaeology guy.... during the autopsy, he could barely be bothered... the BIGGEST discovery of LIFETIMES... and he could barely sit there... maybe he wanted to go listen to some emo music and write poetry...
Yeah, Holloway was annoying too. Okay, so you didn't get to speak directly to the Gods, but it's still the most amazing discovery in history. But he just pouts around the ship like a kid who didn't get a toy for Christmas and starts acting like a dick to the android.
Well, clearly the Engineers should have been waiting there with a welcoming party. "Greetings, Earthlings! We've been waiting for you for thousands of years! So glad you could finally make it!"
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 12:23 AM   #593
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Finally saw it, a very firm A- from me, I'd like to think about an actual opinion post after I've digested it a bit more (no pun intended). Just a few quick observations:

1. There were a few normal horror movie issues...like the dumb character syndrome, but overall the movie felt like a more serious attempt at SF than we normally get in a big budget movie.

2. I loved the philosophical themes and exploration better than the straight suspense of the first Alien movie....I must be one of the 5% of people who liked that stuff better, and wasn't waiting around for chest-bursters. I've heard some friends say their kids didn't like it because they basically wanted "Star Wars: Phantom Menace" from their space movies.

3. The movie stole some scenes from my ST9 synopsis that I wrote in 2000! I love that they were in my head with those. I should give it an A+ for that alone.

4. The movie answered many questions, but what is left really makes me want to see what happens...far more than any horror movie tropes from the other Alien movies....related to this...my one biggest question, why was the "Engineer" in such a hurry to launch when he woke up? We don't know why they wanted to destroy their creations so badly...although I have some ideas...

Avengers was an entertaining popcorn movie, Prometheus was a much better movie. I love that it made me think and kept me thinking afterwards.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 12:23 AM   #594
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

RoJoHen wrote: View Post

I am admittedly not a geneticist, but how does our DNA compare to our own ancient "humans?" Do the base pairs change, or are their other things that are affected by evolution? Perhaps the 100% match is of chromosomes? Could the same chromosomes result in a different outward appearance if two organisms grew up in different environments?
I'm not one either, but, our genetic ancestors don't look like us... and since evolution just doesn't stop, our progeny (thousands and thousands of years from now) won't look like us.

If the match was 100% for chromosomes then they should've said chromosomes. And even then, I don't think it would work scientifically.

I don't feel like we, as an audience, should do the homework of the screenwriters. Why should we fill in the gaps of the writing for it to make sense? This isn't a murky... "hey, do you think this was the motivation?" or "I think this weird surreal moment meant this...." No, this is science. Fact. It shouldn't be hard.

Again, I think they simplified things for consumption.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 12:24 AM   #595
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

@ RAMA

The problem with it is that the more you think about it, the more you realize it makes no sense. I liked it at first, and then I kept thinking about it. Now I think it sucks.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 12:47 AM   #596
tighr
Commodore
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

banzaiduck wrote: View Post
tighr wrote: View Post
Care to point out a time in the video? It's over two hours long, I'm not keen on watching that whole thing.
Sure, 2:18.43.

I would recommend people check out the earlier portions as well as he discusses in detail the inception of LOST and many of the behind the scenes happenings.
I think the same video (or excerpts of it) was posted on the LOST thread over at AVS. I said it over there, so I'll say it again here: I only watched Prometheus because of Ridley Scott. Prior to the film's release, I was already skeptical of what this film was going to be simply because Lindelof's name was attached. Frankly, I think he ruined LOST. I will think twice about watching any TV show or film to which his name is attached.
__________________
~Tighr™: Not helping the situation since 1983
tighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 12:51 AM   #597
Disruptor
Commodore
 
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Saw it today. It was entertaining, but there's so much wrong with it that it's staggering.

This is a major expedition with massive corporate funding, recruit the strangest geologist ever. And dumbest biologist (also In 2089 ugly glasses will be popular).

Black goo that does whatever it wants. Hey, is this the X-Files?

Acid for blood...for some reason. Makes non-earth worms hostile mutants...worms they didn't detect.

A map to the stars...not their home, but a bio-weapons facility...er...oaky.

And the theory going around the engineers hate us because of what happened to Jesus.

Let's hire Guy Pearce to play a 100 year old dude. Robert Duvall was unavailable.

Theron's character is a *censored* but will sleep with a guy she doesn't know after talking to him for 2 minutes. What? MAYBE TO PISS OFF HER DAD? Or that Robot turned her down?
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 12:54 AM   #598
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post

I am admittedly not a geneticist, but how does our DNA compare to our own ancient "humans?" Do the base pairs change, or are their other things that are affected by evolution? Perhaps the 100% match is of chromosomes? Could the same chromosomes result in a different outward appearance if two organisms grew up in different environments?
I'm not one either, but, our genetic ancestors don't look like us... and since evolution just doesn't stop, our progeny (thousands and thousands of years from now) won't look like us.

If the match was 100% for chromosomes then they should've said chromosomes. And even then, I don't think it would work scientifically.

I don't feel like we, as an audience, should do the homework of the screenwriters. Why should we fill in the gaps of the writing for it to make sense? This isn't a murky... "hey, do you think this was the motivation?" or "I think this weird surreal moment meant this...." No, this is science. Fact. It shouldn't be hard.

Again, I think they simplified things for consumption.

What I was expecting...and should have happened, is that we shared some genetic material, enough for there to be a match and relate to the story, but I can understand why it may have been simplified.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 12:54 AM   #599
tighr
Commodore
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Regarding Guy Pearce, I can't help but imagine that he was cast to play the elderly Weyland because in the sequel, he'll be back as an android (or we'll at least see his younger self).
__________________
~Tighr™: Not helping the situation since 1983
tighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 12:55 AM   #600
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Disruptor wrote: View Post
Saw it today. It was entertaining, but there's so much wrong with it that it's staggering.

This is a major expedition with massive corporate funding, recruit the strangest geologist ever. And dumbest biologist (also In 2089 ugly glasses will be popular).

Black goo that does whatever it wants. Hey, is this the X-Files?

Acid for blood...for some reason. Makes non-earth worms hostile mutants...worms they didn't detect.

A map to the stars...not their home, but a bio-weapons facility...er...oaky.

And the theory going around the engineers hate us because of what happened to Jesus.

Let's hire Guy Pearce to play a 100 year old dude. Robert Duvall was unavailable.

Theron's character is a *censored* but will sleep with a guy she doesn't know after talking to him for 2 minutes. What? MAYBE TO PISS OFF HER DAD? Or that Robot turned her down?

I'm surprised at how ignorant people are on SF boards about real technology...most likely that was some sort of advanced nanotechnology as well as biotech involved.

There was a lot more than just Earth on the 3D map.

I don't think sleeping with the captain had anything to do with her dad...
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
alien, prometheus, ridley scott, weyland yutani corp.

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.