IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Prometheus - Poll
A + 16 6.90%
A 27 11.64%
A - 32 13.79%
B + 43 18.53%
B 33 14.22%
B - 21 9.05%
C + 19 8.19%
C 8 3.45%
C - 15 6.47%
D 12 5.17%
F 6 2.59%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 12 2012, 09:52 AM   #376
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Captain

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Someone earlier in the thread tried to dismiss the shoddy character writing in Prometheus by comparing it to that in Alien. Well, the night after seeing Prometheus I watched Alien, and let me tell you, the very first thing I was struck by is how strong the sense of character is in the latter compared to the former, especially given that we receive almost no personal information about any of the individual characters whatsoever. Yet we have a very strong sense of their characters simply in how they interact with each other and respond to the threat as it develops. I do not think the characterization in Prometheus is anywhere near as clear and consistent, despite us having a great deal more information about the personal lives of the characters.

Secondly, I would point out that Alien is a horror movie, and the fact that the only purpose of most of the characters was to run around and get killed by the alien is acceptable within the context of a horror film. Prometheus does not seem to have been conceived, written, shot, or edited to be a horror flick. It clearly aspires (and doesn't entirely fail, either) to be more of a grand rumination on big ideas like the origin and development of life, the inevitably more challenging questions one finds when one probes into the roots of one's own creation, etc. So really it should be held to a higher standard than a film that is essentially, as Pauline Kael put it, "a haunted-house-with-gorilla picture set in outer space."
Old June 12 2012, 12:06 PM   #377
Relayer1
Commodore

TremblingBluStar wrote: View Post
You know, given the amount of nerd-rage directed toward this film, I'd love to see the Internets reactions to Aliens had such a thing existed when that film was released.
For true nerd-rage you'd have had to get me within two or three hours of coming out of the cinema when I saw Alien 3...
Old June 12 2012, 12:41 PM   #378
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I've certainly experienced films that disappointed me. Sometimes it is because it didn't reach what it set out to do (as I see it). And sometimes it's because I disagree with what was done with the subject matter. I can acknowledge something being well done even if I don't agree with it or if it doesn't really interest me (e.g.: Lord Of The Rings). Sometimes I like a film better down the road than when I first saw it. And sometimes I become more critical of a film after initially liking it (e.g.: most of the Trek films).
I think people's expectations were that this film would live up to Scott's ground breaking film Blade Runner which undeniably was way ahead of its time.

IMO, Prometheus isn't way ahead of its time nor is it ground breaking cinema, but it's for sure grand entertainment.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2012, 03:35 PM   #379
Saul
Rear Admiral

http://redlettermedia.com/red-letter...heus-spoilers/
Old June 12 2012, 03:53 PM   #380
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

There are times I long for the pre-internet days, before massive or a plentitude of spoilers and not quite so much hype and getting advanced information about a film was rarer and harder. I feel today a lot of films can be spoiled by this. Film critics don't help when a lot them practically spill the movie in their write-ups.
Don't read them then

The only thing I knew about this movie going in was that it was a Ridley Scott movie, a few of the cast, and that it may or may not have something to do with Alien.

It really wasn't that hard to avoid spoilers.
Old June 12 2012, 04:04 PM   #381
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
That being said, even though most characters in Aliens are simplistic, even 2-dimensional, their motivations are always clear, they each have a distinct voice and personality and even when they make stupid decisions, it's in keeping with their characterization and not dictated by the whimsical tone of a haphazard plot.
The only characters from Aliens who had clear motivation were Burke and Ripley, and maybe Hudson. Bishop's were deliberately left vague so we'd wonder if he was going to betray Ripley. The rest of the marines presumably just wanted to get in and out, but this was never made clear.

However, if we are going to complain about inexperienced and/or stupid characters in Prometheus, what about Lt. Gorman? Why would Weyland send a completely inexperienced commander on a mission that potentially dangerous? You could defend their choice by saying they didn't take the treat that seriously - except Burke and presumably the rest of the company knew there were aliens on the planet. Why would they allow the mission to be commanded by someone who could potentially get them all, including Burke, killed?

I can tell you why - because the inexperienced commander allowed the plot of the film to get going, and allowed Ripley to have her hero moment where she takes charge and gets the marines rescued.

I don't want to turn this into a thread about another film. Just pointing out that you can nitpick any film to death, and the complaints I am seeing leveled at Prometheus are just as applicable to other films.
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2012, 04:05 PM   #382
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Great article. It never would have occurred to me to look at all these different angles, particularly seemingly innocuous lines of dialog like "mud in your eye", etc. Fascinating read - thank you for posting that.
Old June 12 2012, 04:13 PM   #383
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

The Mighty Monkey of Mim wrote: View Post
Well, the night after seeing Prometheus I watched Alien, and let me tell you, the very first thing I was struck by is how strong the sense of character is in the latter compared to the former, especially given that we receive almost no personal information about any of the individual characters whatsoever. Yet we have a very strong sense of their characters simply in how they interact with each other and respond to the threat as it develops. I do not think the characterization in Prometheus is anywhere near as clear and consistent, despite us having a great deal more information about the personal lives of the characters.
It all comes down to personal preference, IMO. If you liked the characters in Alien more than Prometheus, you feel their characterization was stronger. I personally don't see any real difference between the two films in terms of characterization. There were a few compelling characters in both films, and a lot of alien fodder.

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
For true nerd-rage you'd have had to get me within two or three hours of coming out of the cinema when I saw Alien 3...
Yeah. I was pretty young when Alien 3 came out, and even though I saw it in the theater I don't remember having any strong feelings either way. I think I was disappointed that it didn't have the same level of action as Aliens, but liked that the characters found a way of disposing of the alien in a manner that didn't involve flushing it out into space.

When I rented Alien Resurrection sometime in the late 90's, I was more disgusted with the film than angered.
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2012, 04:16 PM   #384
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. Even Lindleoff seemed to think so.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2012, 04:17 PM   #385
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

TremblingBluStar wrote: View Post
I don't want to turn this into a thread about another film. Just pointing out that you can nitpick any film to death, and the complaints I am seeing leveled at Prometheus are just as applicable to other films.
Speaking of funny nitpicks and gaffes last night on the Stephen Colbert show he spoofed Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson pointing out that in dialog they say in the film they've traveled xx number of millions of miles and in another scene saying they traveled several light years - the first estimate putting the Prometheus at about Saturn's orbit.

Colbert
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2012, 04:36 PM   #386
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Well, the only person who says "half a billion miles" is Charlize's character and she could have been simply talking colloquially rather than literally.
Old June 12 2012, 04:54 PM   #387
The Creeper
Commodore

Why does it have to be a reboot? I don't see anything in Prometheus thats inconsistent with Alien.
It's just my impressions based on a first viewing.

One point which stood out most to me is the fact the Engineer pilot was not in the control seat - remember that is where the Nostromo crew finds him. Here he dies in, I believe, the 'canister room', after the crash.

I wonder why the Nostromo never detected remains of the Prometheus or its crew?

In case it's been overlooked, this was at the credits end: http://www.weylandindustries.com/timeline

Concerning 10/11/12 it says;

WEYLAND INCORPORATES
Weyland Corporation is recognized as a legal entity and corporation under United States law and receives their Certificate of Incorporation from the Companies House in the United Kingdom. Due to the combined value of Sir Peter Weyland’s various patents and patent-pendings, the company incorporates with a higher fair market valuation than any other company in history.
Old June 12 2012, 04:59 PM   #388
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Shape-Shifter wrote: View Post
One point which stood out most to me is the fact the Engineer pilot was not in the control seat - remember that is where the Nostromo crew finds him. Here he dies in, I believe, the 'canister room', after the crash.

I wonder why the Nostromo never detected remains of the Prometheus or its crew?
The world in Prometheus is the moon of a different planet from the one in Alien as Scott and Lindleoff have both stated.
Old June 12 2012, 05:05 PM   #389
The Creeper
Commodore

How dare I have too much of a life to follow everything film producers say to explain issues in their films! ;-)

But, thanks for the info.
Old June 12 2012, 05:17 PM   #390
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Yeah, that gets annoying. Please state information like this IN the film. It doesn't hurt anyone. They did it back then, why can't you do it today?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote