IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Prometheus - Poll
A + 16 6.90%
A 27 11.64%
A - 32 13.79%
B + 43 18.53%
B 33 14.22%
B - 21 9.05%
C + 19 8.19%
C 8 3.45%
C - 15 6.47%
D 12 5.17%
F 6 2.59%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 11 2012, 02:44 PM   #301
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

DarthTom wrote: View Post
One nitpick. Why does science fiction always get the science of evolution and natural selection so terribly wrong? Depositing DNA into the sea codes would not lead to the creation of the human species - it's extremely unlikely. This film gets evolution and natural selection wrong and so did Trek in the episode The Chase.
The black nanomachines appeared to take apart and reassemble the Engineer's DNA to form the code for primitive life forms. One problem was that these machines appeared to be quite a bit smaller than the phosphate groups. Non-Darwinian as you say and also probably not realistic Physics.
Old June 11 2012, 02:45 PM   #302
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post
Same here. Far from perfect, many flaws, I get it - but nonetheless I still enjoyed myself immensely.
I saw it at an IMAX theater which greatly enhanced the visual experience.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 03:17 PM   #303
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

Mr Light wrote: View Post
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 04:23 PM   #304
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

One thing that is interesting throughout all of the Alien series is the androids are morally dubious characters at best. It was interesting that Scott portrayed David as he was which if I understood correctly only loyal to Weyland?
Old June 11 2012, 04:31 PM   #305
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

One question though that really isn't explained in the film. The opening sequence leads us to believe that the engineers came here and left permanently. However, the cave drawings and the similar ancient architecture leads us to believe they continued to visit for sometime as humanity 'grows up.'

So, why would they want to destroy their own creation as they watched over us presumably over thousands of years?
Old June 11 2012, 04:33 PM   #306
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Perhaps they felt we were getting too dangerous. They saw us developing and evolving beyond our original intent. They likely feared that we would become a star-faring race, encounter them and destroy them. Not entirely a concern without merit. Haven't seen the movie yet, myself, but that would be my guess
Old June 11 2012, 04:44 PM   #307
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
^^^ Perhaps they felt we were getting too dangerous. They saw us developing and evolving beyond our original intent. They likely feared that we would become a star-faring race, encounter them and destroy them. Not entirely a concern without merit. Haven't seen the movie yet, myself, but that would be my guess
But they only seen a couple of humans in the movie. Not much to base a judgement on...
Old June 11 2012, 04:50 PM   #308
Roshi's bone
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roshi's bone

Unless they 'saw' enough 2,000 years ago...

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Roshi's bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 04:55 PM   #309
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Unless they 'saw' enough 2,000 years ago...
As an aside:

Eric von Däniken who wrote Chariots of the Gods and the rest of people involved with the History channel TV show Ancient Aliens must be simply thrilled with this movie.
Old June 11 2012, 05:08 PM   #310
Roshi's bone
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roshi's bone

It's just "a" movie.

Here's an interview Ridley Scott gave a few days ago

and here are some musings concerning the movie.

Whether you (collective you) like that or not to me is irrelevant, but the simple fact that a movie divides so many people and makes way for that kind of talk is simply amazing.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Roshi's bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 05:18 PM   #311
Masquerade
Rear Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
One question though that really isn't explained in the film. The opening sequence leads us to believe that the engineers came here and left permanently. However, the cave drawings and the similar ancient architecture leads us to believe they continued to visit for sometime as humanity 'grows up.'

So, why would they want to destroy their own creation as they watched over us presumably over thousands of years?
In myth, Prometheus makes man from clay, sides with the gods against the titans, and steals fire from the gods and gives it to man, only to be condemned for it. So, I suppose the "Prometheus" we see at the beginning of the film is part of one faction of engineers that creates and guides human life, against the will or law of their race, while the ones we see at the end of the film are part of another faction seeking to destroy their works. Their enemies. If the "good engineers" gave us fire, that is technology 2000 years ago, perhaps the "evil engineers" are out to destroy the perceived threat of us. Or maybe to them, all or them, Earth was just a petri dish that served its purpose, and now goes to decon.

Just a guess.

Oh, and A-. It was great.
Old June 11 2012, 05:35 PM   #312
Maab of the Ten Tribes
Captain

I gave it an A. I enjoyed it immensely. I'm just hoping that it makes enough to warrant a sequel. I don't feel real good about that happening though...I just don't know if the money will be there in the studios eyes.
Old June 11 2012, 05:42 PM   #313
roliver
Fleet Captain

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
They likely feared that we would become a star-faring race, encounter them and destroy them.
I don't know about you, but when I'm afraid of something I don't normally leave a map behind pointing out where I am.
roliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 05:42 PM   #314
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Maab of the Ten Tribes wrote: View Post
I gave it an A. I enjoyed it immensely. I'm just hoping that it makes enough to warrant a sequel. I don't feel real good about that happening though...I just don't know if the money will be there in the studios eyes.
I would think so, It's made 50 million in the U.S. this weekend, which is very good for an R-rated film.

I just hope some sort of plan for filming the sequel for this was thought out ahead of time, and that Scott doesn't become distracted by his other film projects.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 05:49 PM   #315
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
In myth, Prometheus makes man from clay, sides with the gods against the titans, and steals fire from the gods and gives it to man, only to be condemned for it. So, I suppose the "Prometheus" we see at the beginning of the film is part of one faction of engineers that creates and guides human life, against the will or law of their race, while the ones we see at the end of the film are part of another faction seeking to destroy their works. Their enemies. If the "good engineers" gave us fire, that is technology 2000 years ago, perhaps the "evil engineers" are out to destroy the perceived threat of us. Or maybe to them, all or them, Earth was just a petri dish that served its purpose, and now goes to decon.

Just a guess.

Oh, and A-. It was great.
That is a reasonable explanation. And I agree this is the best sci-fi flick IMO since Trek XI.

Regarding box office totals the film brought in $50 million in the US.

And, worldwide its brought in $141 million

It cost Fox and estimated $130 million to make the film and as pointed out 1/2 the cost The Avengers did.

However, Avengers is up to over $1 billion in box office receipts worldwide so at this point Prometheus has just barely paid for itself.