RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,893
Posts: 5,330,335
Members: 24,555
Currently online: 643
Newest member: berlyn

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Prometheus - Poll
A + 16 6.90%
A 27 11.64%
A - 32 13.79%
B + 43 18.53%
B 33 14.22%
B - 21 9.05%
C + 19 8.19%
C 8 3.45%
C - 15 6.47%
D 12 5.17%
F 6 2.59%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 11 2012, 06:05 AM   #286
The Fatman
Captain
 
The Fatman's Avatar
 
Location: Buffalo, NY
Send a message via AIM to The Fatman
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

I haven't been this torn about a movie in a very, very long time. Ultimately, I voted C-, and I will say I did not like the movie.

I do absolutely love the cinematography and set design. Honestly, this may be one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. The cast, particularly Fassbender and Theron, are treating this very seriously, and give amazing performances. This movie is also very clearly attaining to be an actual, honest-to-god film, a la "2001" (as opposed to striving to be a popcorn movie, like "The Avengers"), so it has to be reviewed and considered as such.

Unfotunately, the script is a muddled, incoherent mess. I will link to Drew McWeeny's spoiler filled re-review of the film on hitfix, which covers a LOT of my criticisms. Bottom line, jaw dropping visuals and good performances do not off set the stunningly bad writing and editing of the film for me.

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-capture...-and-questions

One thing I'm surprised no one else has pointed out... by the established timeline of the films, unless they are completely throwing out what has come before, "Alien" is set only 28 years after Prometheus. Prometheus ends on Jan 1, 2094; Alien starts on June 3, 2122. The Derelict was clearly on LV-426 for a hell of a lot longer than 28 years. That ship is already down on LV-426, and nothing we see in "Prometheus" is a direct precursor or proto-species to what is on the Derelict.

Long story short, whatever is happening or being created on LV-223, while it might be related to the Xenomorph, is a new variant/species all together.
The Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 10:06 AM   #287
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

It's already been established that this probably isn't a direct prequel to alien. The connective tissue is tenuous. This is more another story in that universe that fleshes out more of where these things come from.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 10:29 AM   #288
Camren
Commodore
 
Location: London, UK
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Just watching Aliens. The characters feel so much more rounded and there's some genuinely humerous dialogue including some that the scientists in Prometheus should have known:

"Nobody touch nuthin!"

Wise words indeed.
Aliens was awful. It took all that was good about the original and made it look absurd instead of terrifying. The aliens died way too easily, the dialogue was often atrocious, and the ending with Ripley in the robot thingy was laughable. There was no sense of mystery as there was in Alien and, now, Prometheus.
Prometheus is an absurd movie, how can you compare it to the original Alien movie? And Aliens was miles better than this pile of tosh. The dialogue was fine and the aliens didn't die too easily. They weren't invincible in the first place (afraid of fire ffs!), had the crew of the Nostromo had a gun they would have taken the alien out pretty quickly. It was part of the beauty of that movie that the crew was unarmed and had to try to survive using their wits; repeating that (as they did in Alien 3) would have been a boring reprisal and Aliens was fantastic as an alternative action flick.
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 10:37 AM   #289
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

T'Baio wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
How is a guy having sex with his girlfriend when they finally get some alone time after 2 years in the freezer and the excitement of a big discovery "TOO fortunate"?
I don't know about that, but I know it was typical bullshit from male writers. Because man...now I know the next time I'm with a woman who is baring her soul and crying about being infertile, the way to make her feel better will be to start making out with her.

And of course, that's not to mention the fact of the lazy, terrible writing on display by having her infertility only brought up about 10 minutes before we need to know that to inform the next sequence.
Bob the Skutter wrote: View Post
Man, how clumsy was that scene? "Any idiot can make life." "I can't... I can't make life... boo hoo" "I didn't mean that, lets shag."
I agree wholeheartedly! And T'Baio, yeah it bugged me that this point is mentioned mere minutes before it becomes important. That's poor writing, it should have been telegraphed much earlier (but maybe not quite in the ham fisted way the medical pod was )

And Sci, didn't want to quote your long posting but yeah, agree with you too, although the missed the fact that they took their helmets off...remember kids, air can be breathable and still filled with noxious elements! sheesh!

Maybe if the film hadn't been hyped as much I'd be more forgiving, or maybe if there hadn't been so many such messy/stupid moments I wouldn't have minded, but as it is the further away from the film I get the more annoyed I get with it.

ah well, I might grow to like it on repeat viewings...
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Oculus review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 10:44 AM   #290
ncc71877
Fleet Captain
 
ncc71877's Avatar
 
Location: Texas Panhandle of Earth 2
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

I liked the movie, it has it's problems, "I'm a geologist, I love rocks!" I went and saw it agian, thought it was better with a second veiwing.

My cousin however said this, "So an intrepid starship crew travel haflway across the galaxy looking for God and find a really angry guy. Have I seen that before?" Yes he brought out the Star Trek V gun on Prometheus. Although he did say he didn't "dislike the movie." FWIW

ncc71877
ncc71877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 10:50 AM   #291
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Starkers wrote: View Post
T'Baio wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
How is a guy having sex with his girlfriend when they finally get some alone time after 2 years in the freezer and the excitement of a big discovery "TOO fortunate"?
I don't know about that, but I know it was typical bullshit from male writers. Because man...now I know the next time I'm with a woman who is baring her soul and crying about being infertile, the way to make her feel better will be to start making out with her.

And of course, that's not to mention the fact of the lazy, terrible writing on display by having her infertility only brought up about 10 minutes before we need to know that to inform the next sequence.
Bob the Skutter wrote: View Post
Man, how clumsy was that scene? "Any idiot can make life." "I can't... I can't make life... boo hoo" "I didn't mean that, lets shag."
I agree wholeheartedly! And T'Baio, yeah it bugged me that this point is mentioned mere minutes before it becomes important. That's poor writing, it should have been telegraphed much earlier (but maybe not quite in the ham fisted way the medical pod was )

And Sci, didn't want to quote your long posting but yeah, agree with you too, although the missed the fact that they took their helmets off...remember kids, air can be breathable and still filled with noxious elements! sheesh!

Maybe if the film hadn't been hyped as much I'd be more forgiving, or maybe if there hadn't been so many such messy/stupid moments I wouldn't have minded, but as it is the further away from the film I get the more annoyed I get with it.

ah well, I might grow to like it on repeat viewings...
The thing that was so annoying about that scene with the helmets was as soon as he takes his off she says "You're a crazy bastard you know that... (hang on, let me take my helmet off too and everyone else can follow suit, just to show you how crazy you are.)"
You acknowledge it's a stupid idea, and then do it anyway? WTF is wrong with these people? Did they misinterpret the saying "Feel the fear and do it anyway"?
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 11:50 AM   #292
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Whats apparent to me is that most of these scientists (if not all) were not the best and brightest. And it might well be that they were chosen for that very reason.

What we see of Weyland and Vickers is that they're genuine assholes with agendas that might not be bleeding obvious. Could be they didn't want the best and brightest that could put 2 + 2 together. If they become fodder then no problem.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 12:58 PM   #293
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "We hold these truths to be self-evident..."
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Whats apparent to me is that most of these scientists (if not all) were not the best and brightest. And it might well be that they were chosen for that very reason.

What we see of Weyland and Vickers is that they're genuine assholes with agendas that might not be bleeding obvious. Could be they didn't want the best and brightest that could put 2 + 2 together. If they become fodder then no problem.
Which again makes no sense. If you're Peter Weyland, and you bring along a crew full of people who are only barely competent at the job, you're endangering yourself. There comes with such a decision every possibility that they will be unable to make contact with the supposed alien progenitors, or that they will in some way anger the progenitors, or that they will in some other manner endanger the ship (and therefore yourself). If you're serious about wanting to make contact with these alien progenitors in order to try to save yourself from dying of old age, then you need the best and the brightest, the most rational people possible -- not a crew full of scientists who jump to irrational conclusions and behave irrationally while under stress.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 01:06 PM   #294
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Sci wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Whats apparent to me is that most of these scientists (if not all) were not the best and brightest. And it might well be that they were chosen for that very reason.

What we see of Weyland and Vickers is that they're genuine assholes with agendas that might not be bleeding obvious. Could be they didn't want the best and brightest that could put 2 + 2 together. If they become fodder then no problem.
Which again makes no sense. If you're Peter Weyland, and you bring along a crew full of people who are only barely competent at the job, you're endangering yourself. There comes with such a decision every possibility that they will be unable to make contact with the supposed alien progenitors, or that they will in some way anger the progenitors, or that they will in some other manner endanger the ship (and therefore yourself). If you're serious about wanting to make contact with these alien progenitors in order to try to save yourself from dying of old age, then you need the best and the brightest, the most rational people possible -- not a crew full of scientists who jump to irrational conclusions and behave irrationally while under stress.
Maybe being two hundred, his mental faculties aren't all there anymore?

He said he he had a matter of days in one scene. So if he was going to save himself he was going to need a group of people who would leap before they looked.
__________________
"When I first heard about it (the Enterprise underwater), my inner Trekkie was in a rage. When I saw it, my inner kid beat up my inner Trekkie and made him go sit in the corner." - Bill Jasper
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 01:33 PM   #295
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "We hold these truths to be self-evident..."
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

BillJ wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Whats apparent to me is that most of these scientists (if not all) were not the best and brightest. And it might well be that they were chosen for that very reason.

What we see of Weyland and Vickers is that they're genuine assholes with agendas that might not be bleeding obvious. Could be they didn't want the best and brightest that could put 2 + 2 together. If they become fodder then no problem.
Which again makes no sense. If you're Peter Weyland, and you bring along a crew full of people who are only barely competent at the job, you're endangering yourself. There comes with such a decision every possibility that they will be unable to make contact with the supposed alien progenitors, or that they will in some way anger the progenitors, or that they will in some other manner endanger the ship (and therefore yourself). If you're serious about wanting to make contact with these alien progenitors in order to try to save yourself from dying of old age, then you need the best and the brightest, the most rational people possible -- not a crew full of scientists who jump to irrational conclusions and behave irrationally while under stress.
Maybe being two hundred, his mental faculties aren't all there anymore?

He said he he had a matter of days in one scene. So if he was going to save himself he was going to need a group of people who would leap before they looked.
He's cryogenically frozen. Time is only of the essence once he's unfrozen. As long as he's in freeze, he has all the time in the galaxy, and he should be employing people who will take the time necessary to do what's needed so that they can unfreeze him only once they know it's safe and that they've obtained Space Jockey agreement to help him.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 01:39 PM   #296
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Camren wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Just watching Aliens. The characters feel so much more rounded and there's some genuinely humerous dialogue including some that the scientists in Prometheus should have known:

"Nobody touch nuthin!"

Wise words indeed.
Aliens was awful. It took all that was good about the original and made it look absurd instead of terrifying. The aliens died way too easily, the dialogue was often atrocious, and the ending with Ripley in the robot thingy was laughable. There was no sense of mystery as there was in Alien and, now, Prometheus.
Prometheus is an absurd movie, how can you compare it to the original Alien movie? And Aliens was miles better than this pile of tosh. The dialogue was fine and the aliens didn't die too easily. They weren't invincible in the first place (afraid of fire ffs!), had the crew of the Nostromo had a gun they would have taken the alien out pretty quickly. It was part of the beauty of that movie that the crew was unarmed and had to try to survive using their wits; repeating that (as they did in Alien 3) would have been a boring reprisal and Aliens was fantastic as an alternative action flick.
Exactly. I'd add that although Alien was a very good monster movie, it wasn't a masterpiece of sci-fi.

I thought Aliens was a superior movie, and more influential !
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 01:51 PM   #297
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Saw Prometheus over the weekend. I loved it. Part of the problem I think is people had such high expectations from Scott. The film was visually stunning and the dialogue and acting was acceptable - especially from more "B" level actors. The film was about 20 minutes too long IMO.

One nitpick. Why does science fiction always get the science of evolution and natural selection so terribly wrong? Depositing DNA into the sea codes would not lead to the creation of the human species - it's extremely unlikely. This film gets evolution and natural selection wrong and so did Trek in the episode The Chase.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 02:14 PM   #298
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

20 minutes too long? If anything I thought the film was 20 minutes too short.
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Oculus review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 02:36 PM   #299
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral
 
CaptJimboJones's Avatar
 
Location: Hotlanta
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Saw Prometheus over the weekend. I loved it.

Same here. Far from perfect, many flaws, I get it - but nonetheless I still enjoyed myself immensely.
__________________
"Do not fear mistakes. There are none." - Miles Davis
CaptJimboJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 02:42 PM   #300
Pingfah
Admiral
 
Pingfah's Avatar
 
Location: Cornwall, UK
Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Starkers wrote: View Post
20 minutes too long? If anything I thought the film was 20 minutes too short.
Definitely too short. Very rushed in the second half.

I have many problems with the film, but being bored wasn't one of them, so I could easily have stood another 30 minutes or so if it solved the pacing issues.
__________________
So it goes.
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
alien, prometheus, ridley scott, weyland yutani corp.

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.