Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Prometheus - Poll
A + 16 6.90%
A 27 11.64%
A - 32 13.79%
B + 43 18.53%
B 33 14.22%
B - 21 9.05%
C + 19 8.19%
C 8 3.45%
C - 15 6.47%
D 12 5.17%
F 6 2.59%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 10 2012, 06:31 PM   #241
Warped9
Admiral

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
The worst part was probably the last scene, the 'proto Alien' or whatever. It felt like a cheap way to tie in the film to the Alien series. Not needed at all, and ruined a pretty good last shot.
Thats a fair observation. That last shot of the proto alien emerging was extraneous. At best all they needed to show was the beginnings of something starting or trying to burst through the chest. But actually none of it was needed. When we previously saw the Engineer succumb to the big face hugger we already knew his fate.
They actually pull an AvP?

No I HAVE to see it.
It's not exact, of course, but there is just enough similarity.
Old June 10 2012, 06:33 PM   #242
roliver
Fleet Captain

[QUOTE=Hyperspace05;6476710]The biggest plot hole for me was David's lack of interest in what had happened to Shaw. So he orchestrated the whole thing as an experiment to see what would happen [QUOTE]

He intentionally infected Halloway, yes, but he didn't "orchestrate" anything beyond that. He didn't know what the black goo was. It could have been the engineer quivalent of Gatorade as far as he knew.

The popular theory is that Weyland ordered this done, but I can't think of any reason why, since no one at this point in the film has any idea what this stuff is or what it might do.

Heck, even the film itself doesn't seem to know what this stuff does. A tiny amount will disintegrate you over a period of time. Falling face first into it will turn you into an alien zombie. Little alien worms morph into large aggresive critters. Having sex with someone who has been exposed to a tiny amount will cause a squid to grow in your sterile womb.

Is the black goo supposed to be this unpredictable? Was it once something they had a handle on but eventually lost control of? Were they just going to dump it on Earth, grab some popcorn, and see what crazy stuff happened?
roliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 07:12 PM   #243
Relayer1
Commodore

Why all the raving about Fassbender ? OK performance - no better, no worse.
Old June 10 2012, 08:32 PM   #244
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I can definitely see the last scene being extraneous but I have to say that I still really loved it. I feel like there would've been a lot of bitching if we didn't see at least some form of a xenomorph and, c'mon, it was one awesome visual.
Old June 10 2012, 08:36 PM   #245
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Thought he was the highlight of the film. If they ever reboot TNG, he'd make an awesome Data.
Old June 10 2012, 08:42 PM   #246
Warped9
Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Yeah, he did his part well enough, but there was nothing about it that blew me away.
Old June 10 2012, 09:08 PM   #247
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Okay, I have to ask. What the fuck was up with the short before the movie? Was that a short film? A trailer for an upcoming movie? A 3D watchers' foreplay? What the hell was it?! I got nothing out of it.
Old June 10 2012, 09:12 PM   #248
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Okay, I have to ask. What the fuck was up with the short before the movie? Was that a short film? A trailer for an upcoming movie? A 3D watchers' foreplay? What the hell was it?! I got nothing out of it.
Do you mean the scene from Life of Pi? Basically a trailer, yeah, but they did it by showing us an entire scene from the movie.
Old June 10 2012, 09:31 PM   #249
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

So if it was a trailer then why wasn't it grouped with the other trailers and, instead, was attached to the movie itself? (In my theater it played after the theater chain's "Feature Presentation" clip.
Old June 10 2012, 09:38 PM   #250
Warped9
Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Do you mean the scene from Life of Pi? Basically a trailer, yeah, but they did it by showing us an entire scene from the movie.
Hmm, I didn't see any of this where I saw the film.
Old June 10 2012, 09:40 PM   #251
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

^According to the IMDB page, it's only attached to the 3D prints of Prometheus.

@Trekker: No idea. It was grouped with the trailers when I saw it. It even had a little faux-clapboard title card at the start announcing it was a clip from a longer movie.
Old June 10 2012, 09:47 PM   #252
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
^According to the IMDB page, it's only attached to the 3D prints of Prometheus.

@Trekker: No idea. It was grouped with the trailers when I saw it. It even had a little faux-clapboard title card at the start announcing it was a clip from a longer movie.
Yeah we had that too, but we had the trailers, then the "Feature Presentation" bit, the clapboard title card and then this... whatever that was which lead right into the movie starting/production company title cards. It was odd to say the least.
Old June 10 2012, 10:13 PM   #253
Saul
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
The worst part was probably the last scene, the 'proto Alien' or whatever. It felt like a cheap way to tie in the film to the Alien series. Not needed at all, and ruined a pretty good last shot.
Thats a fair observation. That last shot of the proto alien emerging was extraneous. At best all they needed to show was the beginnings of something starting or trying to burst through the chest. But actually none of it was needed. When we previously saw the Engineer succumb to the big face hugger we already knew his fate.
They actually pull an AvP?

Now I HAVE to see it.
Between that and certain plot elements it's kinda similar..
Old June 10 2012, 10:53 PM   #254
Maestro
Vice Admiral

Still torn between really good and really bad, although I'm leaning more towards bad now.
Old June 10 2012, 10:56 PM   #255
Nightowl1701
Commander

The biggest plot hole for me was David's lack of interest in what had happened to Shaw. So he orchestrated the whole thing as an experiment to see what would happen - except that he showed no interest at all in what Shaw removed from her body.
Who says he had no interest? It's not like Weyland GAVE him much of a chance to follow up on Shaw's 'caesarian.' David was thawing his boss out during that, and was basically kept at "Dad's" side from that point until his head went flying. (Weyland, then in a big hurry to meet the Engineer, would have considered the squid-baby a "meat by-product.") EXCEPT FOR when Weyland and Vickers had their father/daughter talk - he might have looked in on it then, and wisely decided to keep it locked up. If already full-grown then, it would certainly explain his complimenting Shaw on her courage/survival drive the next time we see him onscreen.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote