Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 8 2012, 12:55 AM   #46
Christopher
Writer

Re: Currently working through the missing episode audios...

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Speaking of 1960s companion exits, whatever happened to Vicki, Sara Kingdom, Ben, Polly, & Victoria?
Became Cressida, died, went home, went home, got adopted by a 1970s family. Poor Victoria's the only classic companion residing on modern Earth that didn't get a namecheck in The Sarah Jane Adventures: "Death of the Doctor."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 08:34 AM   #47
VDCNI
Captain

Victoria is in a newly released Big Finish audio alongside the Sixth Doctor and Peri. Part of their lost stories range of scripts that were almost made for the TV show. Haven't listened to it yet though.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 09:50 AM   #48
Candlelight
Admiral

Steven's departure in "The Savages" no longer exists but Peter Purves talks about it a little bit in the Season 3 overview documentary included as a bonus feature on the DVD of "The Gunfighters."
8mm footage exists of his departure. It's not the complete scene but has Steven saying he'll stay, Dodo crying like a baby and the Doctor being upset.

I've wondered about this myself. I mean, didn't the last known copies of "The Traitors" & "The Tenth Planet, Part 4" mysteriously go missing from the Blue Peter offices shortly after clips of them were edited into a Blue Peter episode commemorating Doctor Who's 10th season?
The Traitors, likely yes. The Tenth Planet 4, no. The Tenth Planet was still being offered for sale in 1974 (AKA the following year) so the negatives still existed at this stage. The 'myth' about the episode going missing snowballed into a legend, especially given the episode in question.
Old July 8 2012, 02:03 PM   #49
diankra
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Speaking of 1960s companion exits, whatever happened to Vicki, Sara Kingdom, Ben, Polly, & Victoria?
Became Cressida, died, went home, went home, got adopted by a 1970s family. Poor Victoria's the only classic companion residing on modern Earth that didn't get a namecheck in The Sarah Jane Adventures: "Death of the Doctor."
That could be because of Sarah (and the Brigadier)'s 1990s dealings with Victoria in the spin-off video Downtime. Aside from any resulting bad feelings, the way Victoria slips away at the end implies she might be hiding out from them.

Oh, and Dodo didn't get a mention either (unless she's the Dorothy running the ACE foundation, by some bizarre coincidence, because the DWM comics are right about Ace being dead. Though it could be that the book You Killed Kennedy's right and Dodo's dead).
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 02:22 PM   #50
diankra
Commodore

Candlelight wrote: View Post
The Traitors, likely yes. The Tenth Planet 4, no. The Tenth Planet was still being offered for sale in 1974 (AKA the following year) so the negatives still existed at this stage. The 'myth' about the episode going missing snowballed into a legend, especially given the episode in question.
Well, Tenth Planet 4 did go AWOL from the Blue Peter offices. It just wasn't the only copy left (and if it had been sent back to Enterprises at the time they'd have destroyed it later along with their other copies).
Still, it is a pity that Blue Peter didn't mess up slightly differently, by sending The Traitors back to the film library as they should have done, but mistakenly sending 10P4 there as well... Then they'd both be around, as the library didn't destroy any complete episodes after 1969 (they had destroyed at least six before that, three of which have coincidentally been recovered).
Old July 8 2012, 02:46 PM   #51
Christopher
Writer

diankra wrote: View Post
Oh, and Dodo didn't get a mention either...
Oh, forgot about her.

Old July 8 2012, 11:22 PM   #52
Candlelight
Admiral

Well, Tenth Planet 4 did go AWOL from the Blue Peter offices. It just wasn't the only copy left (and if it had been sent back to Enterprises at the time they'd have destroyed it later along with their other copies).
Still, it is a pity that Blue Peter didn't mess up slightly differently, by sending The Traitors back to the film library as they should have done, but mistakenly sending 10P4 there as well... Then they'd both be around, as the library didn't destroy any complete episodes after 1969 (they had destroyed at least six before that, three of which have coincidentally been recovered).
Some things are very lucky to have survived. From the sounds of it the poor quality viewing prints of The Tenth Planet 1-3 made it back there by accident. Pity others didn't.
Old July 10 2012, 03:40 PM   #53
diankra
Commodore

Exactly. There's a good dozen episodes that seem to have survived by what Richard Molesworth calls '"Why's this in my office? Oh well, it's a film print, better send it to the film library" route.
Old July 10 2012, 05:23 PM   #54
DWF
Vice Admiral

Exactly. There's a good dozen episodes that seem to have survived by what Richard Molesworth calls '"Why's this in my office? Oh well, it's a film print, better send it to the film library" route.
Where's Ian Levene when you need him?
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 01:18 AM   #55
Candlelight
Admiral

THE SPACE PIRATES
(5/10)

It got better. The first few episodes suffered from the same curse that The Keys of Marinus and The Chase had, namely the story suffered from not being locked down to a single location. The Doctor mingles with less characters in this story than I've ever seen (Milo, Dom, Madeleine, that wounded pilot), and doesn't have any screen time with the pirates or the space patrol! It's very much a removed adventure for the Tardis crew. That said, the final episode is well handled, and good pacing as well. Not one of the best, but what I'd expect in Troughton's final season.

THE ICE WARRIORS (Eps 2 & 3 only)
(5/10)

When I first watched this story in 1998 I thought it was waaaay too long, and that was with two of it's episodes missing. Clent is too annoying to enjoy the story. At least 'Clent-clone' Robson from Fury managed to adapt and change throughout his story, Clent is just as annoying right the way through. Don't get me started on the whole computer-is-god storyline (but it was the sixties I guess).

Next, have got a long car journey coming up this weekend so will try and knock off a few on the way; probably the 100-percent-missing stories from season three.
Old July 12 2012, 12:38 AM   #56
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Oh, and Dodo didn't get a mention [in "Death of the Doctor"] either (unless she's the Dorothy running the ACE foundation, by some bizarre coincidence, because the DWM comics are right about Ace being dead. Though it could be that the book You Killed Kennedy's right and Dodo's dead).
I'll bet Dodo just sent Sarah Jane a note saying that she wasn't coming.

DWF wrote: View Post
Where's Ian Levene when you need him?
Pestering Eric Saward about nitpicky continuity errors in "Warriors of the Deep."

THE SPACE PIRATES
(5/10)

It got better. The first few episodes suffered from the same curse that The Keys of Marinus and The Chase had, namely the story suffered from not being locked down to a single location.
I'm not sure that that's a detriment to those stories. After all, I've encountered stories that got really boring because they were confined to a single location for the entire 6-parter (*cough*"Planet of the Daleks"*cough*). The problem with "The Chase" isn't its multiple locations. It's that almost every single one of those locations is rediculous!

Christopher wrote: View Post
Became Cressida, died, went home, went home, got adopted by a 1970s family.
Yeah, I kinda knew most of that. I was hoping for more details.
Old July 12 2012, 01:30 AM   #57
Christopher
Writer

^Well, all those stories have been novelized. I'm sure you could find the books used somewhere.

Old July 12 2012, 02:12 PM   #58
diankra
Commodore

Though in the case of The Myth Makers, the book won't really be that helpful about Vicki's departure, due to the rather brilliant first person way it's written. Better to try the CD.
Old July 13 2012, 02:51 AM   #59
Candlelight
Admiral

I'm not sure that that's a detriment to those stories. After all, I've encountered stories that got really boring because they were confined to a single location for the entire 6-parter (*cough*"Planet of the Daleks"*cough*). The problem with "The Chase" isn't its multiple locations. It's that almost every single one of those locations is ridiculous!
I personally loved those two stories I mentioned but it's probably more the fact that in The Space Pirates for the first two episodes the Doctor and companions are merely stuck inside a beacon with little interaction with anyone else. The story is carried by others. In fact doesn't the first episode hold the record for the longest time before the Tardis arrives in a story?
Old July 13 2012, 02:54 AM   #60
Candlelight
Admiral

MISSION TO THE UNKNOWN
8/10

Great little episode. Has always been a favourite of mine. I really believe that Terry Nation's notion - that the Daleks could maintain their own series - could probably work as indicated by this story, although they would have to win and lose at various times, otherwise it might get a little repetitive. Yes the music is a little out of place and Marc Cory ripped straight out of Ian Flemming's notes, but it's a fun little romp, and sets up the story well for The Dalek's Master Plan (which funnily enough had a different recording from Cory, but oh well...).