The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 5 2013, 09:02 AM   #286
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Kick-Ass 2 -Movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics. ect.

I saw it last night. Went in with low expectations, in light of the reviews. However, I did enjoy the movie. It wasn't as good as the first one but wasn't the mess I'd feared. The script was wittier than I'd been led to believe and the action scenes were excellent.

I was surprised by the escalation of the violence but from reading this thread, I see that this came from the comic (the first one was pretty violent too, come to think of it).

I'd give it 7/10.
Old September 5 2013, 10:37 AM   #287
DWMarch
Captain

I think the problem with Kick Ass 2 compared to the first movie is that we spend too much time watching the characters fail and fail again and be powerless and restricted. "I promised I wouldn't be a superhero anymore!" is silly in a movie about superheroes. I still enjoyed the movie but it is a little hard to love a movie in which the heroes repeatedly fall on their faces and the bad guy does way cooler stuff.
DWMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 06:18 PM   #288
BizarroStormy
Fleet Captain

As much as I like both movies, I have never for one moment regarded Red Mist/McLovin/Chris D'Amico/the M.F. to be remotely cool for even one moment. Just when I thought we were....

SPOILER ALERT BELOW

.........finally rid of him, they bring him back for cinema's worst all-time end-credits cookie with a tenth-rate joke stolen from Jerry O'Connell in the PIRANHA threemake.
BizarroStormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 07:00 PM   #289
Ethros
Vice Admiral

I saw this last week and throughly enjoyed it myself. Sure its not as good as the first but you can say that for a heck of a lot of sequels. And sure its not as violent as the comic but I suppose I was hardly surprised they didn't show the Motherfucker gunning down a bunch of little kids.
Like the first one Hit-Girl stole the show, I just wish it'd been made a year or two earlier as it does work better when she's actually a little girl rather than a teenager. But hey, she still had one of the greatest lines in any film ever IMO

I think I must have laughed till the end of the movie at that bit.

Last edited by Ethros; September 5 2013 at 07:11 PM.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 08:22 PM   #290
Aldo
Admiral

DWMarch wrote: View Post
I think the problem with Kick Ass 2 compared to the first movie is that we spend too much time watching the characters fail and fail again and be powerless and restricted. I still enjoyed the movie but it is a little hard to love a movie in which the heroes repeatedly fall on their faces and the bad guy does way cooler stuff.
That's pretty accurate of the comic too though, it's like the Empire Strikes Back of the Kick-Ass universe. There are no real victories for the good guys, even when they triumph at the end it's still at a huge cost (and they changed the ending of the comic too, so it would have been more of a downer an ending).
Old September 5 2013, 08:33 PM   #291
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I was expecting the movie to be terrible after reading the reviews, but I really enjoyed it aside from the high school drama stuff with Hit Girl. The score is somehow even better than the first film.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote