The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

View Poll Results: Should Voyager have started using the First Contact uniforms?
Voyager should have started using the First Contact uniforms 18 43.90%
Voyager should have kept using the same uniforms throughout the series. 23 56.10%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 22 2012, 12:46 AM   #1
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Should Voyager have started using the new uniforms?

After First Contact, DS9 started using the FC uniforms. After the Pathfinder Project established regular contact between Voyager and Starfleet, there would be communications between officers in different uniform styles. Should Starfleet have sent the uniform pattern to Voyager? Should Command or Janeway have required the crew to wear the updated uniforms to maintain uniformity across the fleet? Were the new uniforms never used simply to save on Voyager’s budget?
Old May 22 2012, 12:55 AM   #2
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Should Voyager have started using the new uniforms?

from mortal Coil
It seems like every time I turn around I'm recycling her clothes back into the replicator.
From TNG In Theory
KEIKO: Every night, Miles leaves his socks on the floor. When we got married, I made the mistake of picking them up a few times. Then I realised, if I kept it up I'd be doing it the rest of my life. So I stopped, figuring he'd get the point and do it himself. One night goes by, two, a week, ten days. By now there's a pile of socks half a metre high.
O'BRIEN: Come on, it wasn't half a metre.
KEIKO: After two weeks I couldn't stand it any more. I bundled them up and put them in the cleaning processor. And I'm still doing it.
O'BRIEN: And a very good job she does of it, too.
The only thing stopping them was J... Actually? Chakotay, whosoever is in the XO position, is more directly in control of the crew than Janeway.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 06:33 AM   #3
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

I thought the First Contact uniforms were ugly. And there was nothing wrong with keeping the old uniforms. At least they were uniforms.

As for cleaning/replicating clothing, I suppose that depends on the item, what resources are available, and what the individual's personal preferences are. I gotta wonder how Seven could possibly be "fresh as a daisy", considering she never removed her catsuit except on the holodeck - not even between work/regeneration/work shifts. Maybe Borg nanoprobes kept her clean?

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 06:48 AM   #4
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

I always assumed that the cleaning process included, by definition, 'breaking down' the old uniforms and replicating new ones, every time. Thus it would be a trivial task to get Voyager's computers to use the new uniform patterns vs. the old ones.

Although I don't really care that they didn't do this. I thought that VOY used the old unis just so the show could maintain its unique style. And that's OK. I wouldn't have *expected* them to adopt the new ones, but it'd make in-universe sense if they had.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 07:16 AM   #5
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Regeneration could clean?

I doubt that Anika only has one set of clothes.

Although, she doesn't seem to have a wardrobe cabinet, and she regenerates in her clothes and then heads directly to work form that position...

Einstein, found a look he liked and then bought 30 identical sets of clothing.

Ditto for Seven?

Old May 22 2012, 10:20 AM   #6
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I thought the FC uniforms looked good in FC, but I got bored of them really quickly in DS9.

Voyager's uniforms have always looked incredibly dull to me (still a step up from Next Gen, which, aside from Picard's jacket, just looked plain BAD). I much preferred some of the designs used in concept art in "A Vision of the Future" (or was it "The Art of Star Trek"?), which seemingly influenced Star Trek Online's costumes.

So, I'd prefer neither, and that they wore good costumes.
Old May 22 2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I'm surprised Tom didn't acquire 300 "I'm with Stupid" T-Shirts when they were rummaging through Historic LA.

Old May 22 2012, 06:00 PM   #8
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Irregardless of our personal taste in uniforms (I like the FC uniforms myself), the issue is should they have used them as members of Starfleet.

My thought is, once they established contact with Starfleet via Pathfinder, they would have started using the new uniforms to maintain fleet uniformity and because it would be a morale booster, making the crew feel they were still members of Starfleet and keeping up with their collegues. It was odd seeing Janeway talking to Admiral Paris and company while in different uniforms; I'm surprised Paris didn't order a change.

It wouldn't have required any extra effort to use the new uniforms since Starfleet could send the replicator program in the data stream. Then, as uniforms were exchanged in the replicator, they swap them out. In both DS9 and Generations, we saw officers wearing different uniforms during a transition period.
Old May 22 2012, 06:42 PM   #9
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

It was most likely just a decision by the show runners. They probably thought viewers would get confused if they saw VOY with the new uniforms.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

maybe there was some back slap over on ds9?

The the realy reason is that the show runners wanted a series that could be aired out of order and it still wouldn't offend the casual superficial tourists.

Old May 23 2012, 04:06 PM   #11
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I'm glad they didn't switch to the new uniforms. That was something they could look forward to once they got home and officially rejoined the fleet.
Old May 23 2012, 05:16 PM   #12
MacLeod
Admiral

The change from the DSN style uniform to the FC uniform was the least of the issues VOY had.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 02:54 AM   #13
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

^No argument here. I still thought it was an interesting topic.

We could always move along to where did they keep all those shuttles and how did the Delta Flyer get out the door!?!
Old May 24 2012, 02:54 AM   #14
exodus
Fleet Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
The change from the DSN style uniform to the FC uniform was the least of the issues VOY had.
Agreed.
If your morale is going to be based on the latest fashion in uniform you wear, then you've got deeper issues that need dealing with.
Old May 24 2012, 03:11 AM   #15
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I always assumed that the cleaning process included, by definition, 'breaking down' the old uniforms and replicating new ones, every time. Thus it would be a trivial task to get Voyager's computers to use the new uniform patterns vs. the old ones.
That would be an incredible waste of energy. As long as the item is still intact and serviceable, why not just clean it instead of using up extra energy to recycle it and make a new one?

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Regeneration could clean?

I doubt that Anika only has one set of clothes.

Although, she doesn't seem to have a wardrobe cabinet, and she regenerates in her clothes and then heads directly to work form that position...

Einstein, found a look he liked and then bought 30 identical sets of clothing.

Ditto for Seven?
No, of course she didn't only have one set of clothes. She alternated among her brown, blue, and pinkish catsuits for most of her time on the series. She only wore the silver one in the first couple of episodes after she was de-Borgified.

The only place where I've ever seen the issue of her privacy addressed is in a fanfic I recently read: Janeway ordered her to lock the cargo bay door while she was dressing/undressing, to spare any more hapless Ensigns the embarrassment of seeing her naked when they walked in without knocking (no, it wasn't Harry; it was an even more hapless Ensign, whose name escapes me because he wasn't a canon character that I can recall).

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
^No argument here. I still thought it was an interesting topic.

We could always move along to where did they keep all those shuttles and how did the Delta Flyer get out the door!?!
I simply speculate that over the decades since "By Any Other Name" (TOS episode about the Kelvans), Starfleet figured out how to apply their shrinking stuff into powdered dodecahedrons to the problem of storing large objects in small spaces (inorganic things). So whenever Chakotay crashed another shuttle, they just took a new one out of the supply closet, zapped it, (or added water and stirred, however it worked), and presto!

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote