Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 3 2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

NBC's Awake premieres March 1

Good news. I've been looking forward to this since the pilot was picked up.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...he-firm-286945

The dual reality drama starring Jason Isaacs will launch on Thursday,
March 1 at 10 p.m., taking over for struggling series The Firm, it was announced Friday by Robert Greenblatt, chairman of NBC Entertainment.
The Firm is being banished to the Saturday night graveyard.

Awake:

Police detective Michael Britten (Jason Isaacs) regains consciousness following a car accident involving his wife Hannah (Laura Allen) and his son Rex (Dylan Minnette). Michael moves back and forth between two realities: in one, Rex survived while Hannah is dead; in the other, Hannah survived but Rex did not. Trying to keep both his loved ones alive, Michael starts living a "double life," moving back and forth between the two realities, dealing with different personal conflicts and police partners. He also starts noticing strange links between the two realities.
Old February 3 2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: NBC's Awake premieres March 1

Spring premiers rarely survive. I hope this beats the odds, but I won't bet on it.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 09:21 PM   #3
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Terrific, I'm really curious about this show. Although it has all the earmarks of the type of series that is excellent, then gets axed quickly and therefore watching it is just asking for aggravation, The Firm has set such a low bar that maybe NBC will be generous in regards to ratings?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 10:13 PM   #4
Tom
Rear Admiral

The premise does sound interesting, will have to check it out.

The only thing i can thing of that is a little similar is Voyager's Deadlock where 2 realites are created and diverge and some of the crew could go back and forth. So maybe this guy will be trying to figure out how to get his wife or his son into one reality and make his family whole.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 10:35 PM   #5
Anwar
Vice Admiral

"Deadlock" was about the original Voyager and crew getting split into two exact duplicates inhabiting the same reality, not two realities being made.

This one does seem interesting, but even the writers admitted that it's a premise that has to end eventually (when he "Wakes" the series is over).
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post

This one does seem interesting, but even the writers admitted that it's a premise that has to end eventually (when he "Wakes" the series is over).
The premise is interesting, but MUCH better suited to a mini-series. NOT twenty episodes a year for 6 or 7 years.

It's shelf life will be short.
Old February 4 2012, 06:17 AM   #7
DeadmeatDiggory
Commander

I hate cop shows, but I'll give it a try.
Old February 4 2012, 07:33 AM   #8
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
The premise does sound interesting, will have to check it out.

The only thing i can thing of that is a little similar is Voyager's Deadlock where 2 realites are created and diverge and some of the crew could go back and forth. So maybe this guy will be trying to figure out how to get his wife or his son into one reality and make his family whole.
Fringe has been exploring this kind of territory.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 08:08 AM   #9
Caliburn24
Commodore

Lone Star played with the double life idea in a different way, and was great, for all two episodes or so that Fox let it air. So I know the head writer knows how to play with that type of premise.

NBC may be more generous with Awake, four episodes sounds about right.

And I'm sure I'll cry when it gets cancelled. Network TV is not the place for high concept stuff.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 12:01 PM   #10
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

They waited too long to air it. They'll probably have a critical hit that nobody will watch.
Old February 6 2012, 08:14 PM   #11
Tom
Rear Admiral

Now after watching the trailer it reminds me of the 5th season Doctor Who story called 'Amy's Choice' where they don't know which of the 2 realities is real or the dream and flip flop back and forth.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 09:22 PM   #12
Anwar
Vice Admiral

There's also that Outer Limits episode where a starship crewmember is caught between two realities where he saved his family in one and the ship is in danger in the other.

Naturally, being the Outer Limits it turned out both realities were false and the truth was that he was being fed these fake realities to keep him unaware that he was being fed on by space spider monsters.

Maybe it's the same plot here: The detective flip-flops between two realities where his son is alive in one and his wife in another but the truth is that both are dead and this is all him having a coma-dream in a hospital before he dies as well.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 11:16 PM   #13
Aragorn
Admiral

Assuming they actually pull off the show well, it seems to high concept to succeed on network television. But this is one of the 2011-12 shows I was looking most forward to.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2012, 12:21 AM   #14
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Maybe both realities are equally valid, and we all live in multiple realities, but at any given moment, we are only aware of the reality we happen to be in at the time. The only thing that's different about this guy is that he's aware of both realities as being realities, like lucid dreaming, when you wake up inside a dream.

Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 01:02 PM   #15
Agent Richard07
Retired

I just found out about this show last night. The premise does sound pretty interesting.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote