Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old July 8 2012, 01:04 AM   #106
naverhtrad
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Does anyone else dislike Keiko O'brien?

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
Agreed. While the episode where she helped save his and Julian's life was a great moment for her--sadly, it was the exception, not the rule.
Oh, but did she really save Julian's life and O'Brien's, or was it a super complex plot by Section 31 to replace her with a super high tech cyborg who would secretly communicate the information to Sisko because 31 knew all along where Julian was because they were planning to recruit him because they wanted to give him the cure to the Founder-genocide virus?

My God. It all makes sense now!!
Withstand, and uphold the sacred law!

Bring forth your gods, your sacred strife:
With truth I crush your wretched life!

- Forefather
naverhtrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 04:03 AM   #107
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

Sheesh. Are you really so troubled by a prior discussion, sir, that you would say something so totally irrelevant, here?

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Supreme Dittodrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 03:59 PM   #108
Yuckleberry Finn
Vice Admiral

I recently had DS9's season one DVDs. Years ago, I thought nothing of her teaching methods. Now that I'm a teacher, I found her approach awful. She did not consider the cultural differences and should have known better than ignoring the prophets. It was already established that they had been sending orbs to Bajor. She shouldn't have dismissed the Bajor religion since there is a relationship between the "wormhole aliens" and the inhabitants of Bajor.
Yuckleberry Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 08:46 PM   #109
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

Indeed, Kira called out Keiko's hypocrisy early on--the latter's clear rejection of Bajoran beliefs ("But our studies have shown...") is anything but "open-minded to all philosophies," or whatever words Keiko used to that effect.

And of course, her clear bias rubbed off on Jake (Changing today's subject to a lecture on Gallileo and the Inquisition? Really, Keiko?), to the point that Ben had to do some damage control.

Old July 8 2012, 08:50 PM   #110
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

My girlfriend and I use to routinely make fun of Keiko, whom we considered the whiniest character in Starfleet:

"But, Miles, what about our relationship?"
Old July 8 2012, 10:47 PM   #111
TrixieVanSickle
Ensign

She was totally not cut out to be a military wife, which is essentially what O'Brien was, a solider. I never rooted for infidelity more than when O'Brien and Kira had their little flirtation going.

http://trixievansickle.blogspot.com/
TrixieVanSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 11:12 PM   #112
Tcsfan
Lieutenant Commander

I don't dislike her but I don't like her either
Tcsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 12:13 AM   #113
naverhtrad
Lieutenant Commander

Rush Limborg wrote:
Sheesh. Are you really so troubled by a prior discussion, sir, that you would say something so totally irrelevant, here?
For someone who is apparently so insistent on having certain characters be completely consistent and infallible to suddenly begin displaying a certain degree of nuance in interpretation in order to place Keiko firmly into the category of 'bitch' is a bit... well, rich. The urge to wax sarcastic is rather strong in such a case.

Keiko may have complained about various aspects of Miles' posting, which is understandable. And she may have been inflexible and stubborn in arguing with her husband (characteristic of a number of relationships I've been in, actually). But at the end of the day, Keiko being loyal to her husband was not the exception rather than the rule. When her husband was held by the Cardassians, she turned her stubbornness straight on the presiding Cardassian judge. She comes off as a supportive and caring wife in a number of episodes - but it's not a side we generally see, since as far as story is concerned the times we see Keiko are generally when there is some conflict between her and O'Brien.

I dare anyone, man or woman, not to come off as a total jackass when the overwhelming majority of times we see them are when they are arguing with their SO.

- Forefather
Old July 17 2012, 12:54 AM   #114
BennyRussel
Commander

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
My girlfriend and I use to routinely make fun of Keiko, whom we considered the whiniest character in Starfleet:

"But, Miles, what about our relationship?"
She wasn't in Starfleet on DS9. She was a civilian botanist. That was part of the source of her arguments with the Chief. He had a challenging, important job that consumed a lot of his life and she was sort of left behind. That could put a strain on any relationship.
BennyRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 01:14 AM   #115
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

naverhtrad wrote: View Post
Rush Limborg wrote:
For someone who is apparently so insistent on having certain characters be completely consistent and infallible to suddenly begin displaying a certain degree of nuance in interpretation in order to place Keiko firmly into the category of 'bitch' is a bit... well, rich. The urge to wax sarcastic is rather strong in such a case.

Keiko may have complained about various aspects of Miles' posting, which is understandable. And she may have been inflexible and stubborn in arguing with her husband (characteristic of a number of relationships I've been in, actually). But at the end of the day, Keiko being loyal to her husband was not the exception rather than the rule. When her husband was held by the Cardassians, she turned her stubbornness straight on the presiding Cardassian judge. She comes off as a supportive and caring wife in a number of episodes - but it's not a side we generally see, since as far as story is concerned the times we see Keiko are generally when there is some conflict between her and O'Brien.

I dare anyone, man or woman, not to come off as a total jackass when the overwhelming majority of times we see them are when they are arguing with their SO.
First, you will notice how I have never used the "b-word" in reference to Keiko.

Second, none of the qualities I pointed out ever contradicted the notion that she legitimately loved Miles, or was loyal to him (in her own way). That was not--nor was it ever--the issue.

The problem with Keiko is...she failed to treat him with the kind of respect she seemed to feel she was entitled to. She may have loved him, but she failed to respect him. That is not a contradiction--it is a tragic mixing of premises.

Her loyalty was not what I was referring to as an "exception"/"rule".

Old July 18 2012, 01:46 AM   #116
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I always got the impression that Miles and Keiko trived off that friction between them with a lot of makeup sex and the such. Maybe that's just me though!
Old July 18 2012, 02:36 AM   #117
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I've heard of worse relationships.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 09:10 PM   #118
defiantfan
Lieutenant Commander

I am afraid I must express my disagreements with the dislike for Keiko. I blame the writing for her character appearing too mean. First, no one knew what they were getting into when they accepted the Deep Space Nine assignment, that was the point of the pilot. Second, no one knows what they are getting into when they get married or commit themselves to a long term relationship. Finally, Keiko tried other things, it didn't work. In the episode "House of Quark" Bashir pointed out to O'Brien that Keiko will only be happy if she returns to her profession. His best guy pal and station CMO says that. I am not saying she is perfect, but I admire her just the same.
defiantfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 01:15 AM   #119
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

Even when we first saw Keiko, she and Miles were getting married and she waited almost till the last minute to call it off.

...because it would make her happy...

And then like a true Bi-polar champion, she eventually perks up and tells everyone to put back on their uniforms, it's back on!!

Great way to start things off, lol.

And here is a typical day with Keiko nagging Miles to do some chore as usual;

KEIKO: Miles, I'd never do anything to hurt your daughter, unless you forced me to. These are your instructions. Follow them precisely.
And to show just how sadistic, how mean, how cruel this woman actually is, she managed to knick her daughter's Molly's hair really hard (she said, OW!) while she was combing it, just for the hell of it.

....oh wait..she was possessed by something....nevermind..
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 02:40 AM   #120
naverhtrad
Lieutenant Commander

Nightdiamond wrote:
Even when we first saw Keiko, she and Miles were getting married and she waited almost till the last minute to call it off.

...because it would make her happy...

And then like a true Bi-polar champion, she eventually perks up and tells everyone to put back on their uniforms, it's back on!!
Oh, come off it. Seriously.

Speaking as a married man who did his homework first, pre-wedding jitters / depression are pretty much ubiquitous, and it's not too uncommon among men, either. My wife didn't quite pull a Keiko, but she came damn close a couple of times; and normally 90% of the time she's on a pretty even keel.

- Forefather