Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 6 2012, 05:41 PM   #91
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Returns animated movies news

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
IMDB is listing Mark Valley as the voice of Superman in "The Dark Knight Returns Part II" so it's probably not true.
Mark Valley as Superman is mentioned in the tvguide.com article that announced Emerson as the Joker: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Michael-...s-1052594.aspx
Old September 7 2012, 02:00 AM   #92
JD
Admiral

Hmmm, Valley's not someone that immediately comes to mind when I think of Superman, but I like him so I have no complaints about his casting.
Old September 7 2012, 02:09 AM   #93
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

JD wrote: View Post
Hmmm, Valley's not someone that immediately comes to mind when I think of Superman
Yeah. He looks more like Captain America.
Admiral James Kirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 03:23 AM   #94
JD
Admiral

Which is one of the biggest advantages to animation. You can cast entirely on performance, and don't have to worry about appearance.
Old September 21 2012, 02:36 AM   #95
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

I just got out of a screening of this film held at the Paley Center in New York City. Even cooler, after the movie there was a brief panel with David Selby (Gordon), Jay Oliva (Director) and Andrea Romano(!). They did some prescreened questions by the moderator and then took questions from the audience.

I'm not going into a long winded review, but questions are welcome. These are just some impressions.

Visually, I was worried at first because Gotham looked very "clean" whereas I've always felt the comic was very gritty in terms of how the pencils and inks were done. However, where Gotham lacked trash and bits of background detail everywhere, it more than made up for with lighting, texture and even the graininess of some of the buildings. Several iconic establishing shots of the city from the comic book were put right up on screen which made the teenager in me squeal with delight.

Speaking of delight, there were many key panels taken right out of the comic book and put into motion on screen. This included the famous cover shot of Batman's silouette against lightning, Batman with the "grapple rifle" aiming at the Gotham tower, the Mutant leader yelling at the Batmobile, parts of the mud pit fight and others.

All the voice talent was spot on. I was skeptical about Weller as Batman at first, but he won me over in minutes. His voice has the gravely, world weariness that I expected from "this" Batman and it worked very well. Ariel Winter played Carrie pretty much how I always heard her voice when I read the comic and it was great to hear some other familiar voices such as Tara Strong take part. Andrea mentioned that almost every actor did about three voices in the movie (aside from the headline cast). This includes Gary Anthony Williams who plays one of the recurring reporters as well as the Mutant Leader.

Change-wise, the director was restrained. A lot of the key bits you need for the story are in there with some minor tweaks (some I didn't care about, others I wish had not been changed), but nothing wrecked the movie at all. The themes were all there (Bruce trying to "fight" the demon of Batman within himself until it comes out, Harvey Dent being a reflection of Bruce/Batman, social commentary on news programs etc.). There are som eEaster Eggs in there that didn't appear in the comic book, but they were amusing. Some people may find the addition of one scene controversial (it involves young Bruce Wayne) but I personally liked it.

I confess I haven't bought most of the Direct to DVD WB movies, just a few here and there if I liked them. This one is going to be a must purchase for me!
Old September 27 2012, 07:35 AM   #96
drychlick
Captain

This get me MAD1 the movie is not at redbox or Blockbuster!! OR on demand! the movie cost $15 and i am not buying a movie i will only watch 1 time for $15! well there lost!
drychlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 02:17 PM   #97
Christopher
Writer

It'll probably show up on rental services about a month after it goes on sale. That's the way it usually works with these.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 05:41 PM   #98
Mike Farley
Commodore

Yeah, Warner Bros deal with Red Box (and others) makes their movies available a month out. This gives them a better chance to sell copies of their new release.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 02:06 AM   #99
the G-man
Commodore

drychlick wrote: View Post
This get me MAD1 the movie is not at redbox or Blockbuster!! OR on demand!:
I'm watching it on Time Warner On Demand even as I write this.

It's pretty damn entertaining.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 02:34 AM   #100
the G-man
Commodore

Oh, and with two words of dialogue, Michael Emerson came close to toppling Mark Hamill.
Old September 29 2012, 02:36 AM   #101
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

"Batman. Darling..."
Admiral James Kirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 03:16 AM   #102
the G-man
Commodore

Precisely, old chum
Old September 29 2012, 04:48 AM   #103
Dream
Admiral

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
Yeah, Warner Bros deal with Red Box (and others) makes their movies available a month out. This gives them a better chance to sell copies of their new release.
I'm surprised more studios don't do that.
Old September 29 2012, 07:42 AM   #104
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

This was just impressive from start to finish, everything about it blew me away. Easily their best DTV right now. Peter Weller impressed the hell out of me as Batman/Bruce Wayne. The animation was fantastic. There are little tweaks here and there, but nothing that detracts from the experience. The score is exceptional as well. This one knocks "Under the Red Hood" down to number two in my favourite of the DCDTV's so far. I can't wait for part two...and I echo the sentiments regarding Michael Emmerson as Joker. That one line...brilliance.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 07:33 PM   #105
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
Oh, and with two words of dialogue, Michael Emerson came close to toppling Mark Hamill.
You should check out the sneak peek for part II.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote