Talking during movie trailers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Miss Chicken, May 22, 2012.

1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Today I went to see Dark Shadows with two friends. While watching the Prometheus trailer my friend and I were discussing whether Prometheus was a prequel to Alien or not. We were talking in our normal voices, as were the people behind us. People were still coming into the cinema to take their seats and a couple of them talked about where they should sit.

A women two seats in front of us turned around and said "You are not in your loungeroom at home, you know". I think she was directing it both at us and the people behind us.

I have never been bothered by people talking during trailers or during other commercials and I was a little surprised it annoyed this woman.

Do you think people should be quiet at this stage i.e. before the actual movie starts?

2. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unless it's one of those prequels to a long anticipated movie (something like the trailers to Batman etc), then I think it's ok to talk during the trailers.

Maybe she was worried that you were going to continue talking during the movie, and wanted to nip it in the bud? Hard to say.

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll say a few words during the previews, but I generally try to keep quiet. Sometimes watching a preview for a highly anticipated film can be more enjoyable than the actual film that follows.

4. Amaris

Amaris Guest

When I'm with friends, I'll talk in a low voice during the trailers, if we're interested in that particular trailer, otherwise, we don't say anything.

5. Miss Chicken

She would have no reason to think that we would talk during the movie.

Talking during movies is generally not a problem in Tasmanian cinemas. Sometimes you might hear a whisper but that is as loud as it gets. Even children tend to have good manners in cinemas here. Tasmanians do not cheer, boo or clap during a movie and even laughter is restrained.

6. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I've ran into this problem before, only once though. 17 years ago when I saw Goldeneye with my dad and sister. We were waiting for some of my dad's friends to show up, they got there after the previews had started. So naturally we had to talk to them a bit to communicate the seating and such, and while this was going on (during the previews, mind) a woman turned around and gave us a really dirty look.

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Nope, trailers are just commercials, and thus fair game to yap through

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'd like to be able to watch trailers in silence but I do accept that they're just commercials and it's a bit unreasonable to expect other people to be quiet.

Talking during the main feature, however, ought to be punishable by death.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Wholehearteddly agree, I get a bit annoyed at people talking over the trailers but, like you say, they're just commercials at the end of the day--besides often me and my friend will discuss whether we think the film being trailed looks good or not and whether we fancy seeing it.

I can be a bit of a cinema nazi at times but even I'd never shush someone during the trailers :vulcan:

10. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Cultural differences. Nobody in Scotland would ever say that during anything but the feature film.

11. Miss Chicken

I have never heard anyone say it in a Tasmanian cinema either. I thought it was a strange thing for this woman to say.

Normally my friends and I try to be the first to guess what the movie is (if we haven't seen the trailer before). We usually comment whether it is a movie we would see at the cinema, or wait for thr DVD or had no desire to see at all. Sometimes, like today, we make some comment on the movie. But when we talk during the trailer we are always talking about the trailer itself.

12. BDJ

BDJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

When the lights go down, so should the voices.

I'm sorry if I come off a bit hateful here but I find the trailers an enjoyable part of the movie going experience.

Talking, texting, Cell phone use, any distractions at all take from the experience I've paid for. I've paid not only for the admission ticket for myself but for my family as well.

I don't know about you but that's alot of money, before the rip-off at concessions! (we rarely partake of the concessions)

A year back my local theater started the practice of leaving the lights on during the trailers. I complained to the (new) local manager! I told him you couldn't enjoy the trailers because of the light glare on the screen. He told me they left the lights on for "safety reasons".

I thought that was ridiculous! So I complained to the main office via phone and email.

The lights are back to going down when the trailers start!

So as you can see, some of us really do enjoy the trailers, even though some of you see them as just commercials.

If you need to talk then do all your talking outside in the lobby and don't come in until the film starts. That way you can guarantee that you won't disturb others who've come for the entire movie going experience.

These days some people have become so inconsiderate of others that they think it's their right to impose on others. It's a sad "me-me-me" mentality.

Whenever you're at a public event you should be considerate and respectful of others. Be mindful of your manners and everyone can enjoy the event without distraction.

I'm especially referring to those turds who just can't make it all the way through a movie without freaking texting and checking their cell phones. Those people really cheese alot of folks off!! It pulls us right out of the movie experience when your stupid cell phone lights up and pulls our attention away from the screen.

Look, you'll live!! It's just a couple of hours, your status will wait for you! The caller will wait! The texter will wait! Turn the damned phones off and please don't talk when the lights go down!

Thank you. I'm coming down from my soapbox now. Please don't throw anything!

13. Miss Chicken

The lights don't go down, and the doors aren't closed in our cinemas until after the trailers. It has always been that way.

I enjoy commenting to my friends on whether a movie in a trailer is worth seeing or not. To me that is part of the movie experience.

Before the doors are closed the noise of the crowd in the lobby, queueing for a slightly later movie, is often louder than people talking in the theater.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I can't stand it when people talk during trailers. I get to the movies 20 minutes early specifically so I don't miss any of them!

15. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't mind it so much during trailers. I'll make a comment during them, especially if I've seen it before (I always talk in a low voice though).

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Trailers are almost as important as the movie, and should not be talked over. Save it for the space between trailers. :)

17. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

This, really. I don't much care if people talk during trailers because they are basically a commercial and I tune those out pretty much automatically. I sometimes talk during them (usually about whether or not I'd want to see the movie in question) so I'm not going to bitch about other people doing it.

I absolutely cannot stand people talking during a movie, though. Or rustling through their food and drink supplies. I've paid to see and hear the movie, not listen to people give a running commentary and munch their way through ridiculously overpriced crap. And anyone whose mobile phone rings during a movie should be shot.

I don't know what moviegoing's like in Tassie but that woman's (over)reaction seems a bit unreasonable to me.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Ehh. No. Not even necessarily during the movie. And I can see commenting during the trailers for sure but not at a regular conversation level. I think talking in a whispery sotto voice is more called for and certainly more polite.

19. Miss Chicken

Maybe the cinemas should go back to having trailers after movies (which is why they were called trailers in the first place). Most people leave a cinema during the credits so by the time credits finish the only people who would be left are people who like trailers.

When I was young there was not 15 or 20 minutes or more of trailers and other commercials before a movie began. Instead there were cartoons or a short film instead. The only commercial were slide commercials before the advertised start time.

20. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ironically, talking during the feature would have been welcome compared to the pair of pre-teen brats who insisted upon KICKING the back of my chair (WITH THE SOLES OF THEIR SHOES!!!) when I tried to watch the original Star Wars (none of this silly Episode IV: A New Hope business) for the first time in the summer of 1977. I couldn't risk leaving my seat to complain to management as it was a packed theater. My seat would have been "stolen" before I made it halfway up the aisle.

Sincerely,

Bill