USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Hemsworth To Host SNL

Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie:
A+ 1 4.35%
A 0 0%
A- 2 8.70%
B+ 5 21.74%
B 4 17.39%
B- 2 8.70%
C+ 1 4.35%
C 5 21.74%
C- 1 4.35%
D+ 0 0%
D 2 8.70%
D- 0 0%
FAIL!!!!! 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 23 2012, 02:01 AM   #91
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

Aeolusdallas wrote: View Post
Star Wolf wrote: View Post
The ship broke apart in orbit an parts of it fell all over. One part happened to hit Hong Kong. That is not deliberate. Are you also suggesting that the meteor in Armageddon purposely hit Paris? I mean The evidence is the size of earth and the size to miss everything but hit Paris itself would take almost the hand of a deity deciding to become involved. Oh no wait, random things happen and movie directors like seeing famous cities and landmarks smashed up.

Why would the aliens work so hard at not hurting civilians in every single engagement (serously they put more effort into avoid civilian casualties than humans armies almost ever do) except Hong Kong?
The same reason the US Military will try to do everything right in Afghanistan but then after years of trying to build trust one soldier goes on a murder spree
Nothing in the movie even vaguely supports your assertion.
Except an area the size of Hong Kong taking catastrophic hits
Old May 23 2012, 02:05 AM   #92
Aeolusdallas
Captain

The same reason the US Military will try to do everything right in Afghanistan but then after years of trying to build trust one soldier goes on a murder spree
Which is presented as an accident. Random bad luck. There is literally not a single bit of evidence in the movie that could lead on to rationally conclude a purposeful strike on the city. Not even the humans in the movie believe it to be anything but a random crash.
The parts of the ship had to land somewhere and one of the parts just happened to hit a populated area.
Aeolusdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 02:12 AM   #93
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Which is presented as an accident. Random bad luck. There is literally not a single bit of evidence in the movie that could lead on to rationally conclude a purposeful strike on the city. Not even the humans in the movie believe it to be anything but a random crash.
The parts of the ship had to land somewhere and one of the parts just happened to hit a populated area.
Or the results of the last actions of a military assault pilot who knew he was about to die
Old May 23 2012, 02:12 AM   #94
DWF
Vice Admiral

While I agree the destruction in Hong Kong was an accident, I find it hard to believe that the intentions of the aliens were peaceful. But then the aliens had to know that hitting the satellite was an accident as well, it does seem strange that they couldn't have evaded it as advanced as they are.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 02:17 AM   #95
Locutus of Bored
Too Many Secrets

Or the results of the last actions of a military assault pilot who knew he was about to die
In the film it was clearly presented as an out of control crash from the moment of impact with the satellite where the debris goes spinning off uncontrollably.

You're getting hung up on the infinitesimal chances of random debris crashing into Hong Kong, but that's only because it's more interesting from a moviemaking standpoint to have the spectacle of a big crash into a city than it is to have a crash into the ocean that no one even notices.

You can argue for or against the hostility of the aliens later in the film, but the clear intent of the filmmakers was that the Hong Kong crash was an accident, just as the...
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 02:28 AM   #96
Aeolusdallas
Captain

There is no evidence of that.
Old May 23 2012, 03:17 AM   #97
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

We see the impact in the movie. That wasn't a catastrophic hit. It wasn't a catastrophic anything. The debris missed the buildings and landed in the water with relatively little force.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 03:28 AM   #98
Aeolusdallas
Captain

hyzmarca wrote: View Post

We see the impact in the movie. That wasn't a catastrophic hit. It wasn't a catastrophic anything. The debris missed the buildings and landed in the water with relatively little force.
It did knock over a building and kill several thousand people. But still, that just makes it a really bad accident.
Old May 23 2012, 03:29 AM   #99
Locutus of Bored
Too Many Secrets

Ummm, no.

'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 03:47 AM   #100
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Ummm, no.
That scene is edited differently in the Hong Kong version.
In the Hk version the debris narrowly misses the building.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2012, 10:37 PM   #101
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I give this film a C. There were a lot of cliches and the gazillion explosions eventually made me numb.

The cinematography was good, there was a lot of action, but after a while it just got to be too much. The cast was likeable enough, but the dialogue was bad, and the plot was basically Battle: LA. However, Battle: LA had an intensity that Battleship didn't have.

I didn't like the alien invaders. In their battle suits they were fine, but once unmasked, very unimpressive. I did like the four finger hands though.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 07:37 AM   #102
Gatekeeper
Commodore

I normally dig summer-type movies with big explosions and little sense — popcorn and soda helps with that — but "Battleship" simply ended up being too much for me, especially toward the end.

The entire scene that was a homage to the board game Battleship to me was stupid. And the part where the heroes managed to get a World War II-era battleship powered up for combat with maybe 1 percent of the crew it'd actually need to do that (not to mention the 1 percent's age) took me right out of whatever suspension of disbelief I was clinging to.

Gatekeeper
Old May 26 2012, 12:44 PM   #103
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Gatekeeper wrote: View Post
I normally dig summer-type movies with big explosions and little sense popcorn and soda helps with that but "Battleship" simply ended up being too much for me, especially toward the end.

The entire scene that was a homage to the board game Battleship to me was stupid. And the part where the heroes managed to get a World War II-era battleship powered up for combat with maybe 1 percent of the crew it'd actually need to do that (not to mention the 1 percent's age) took me right out of whatever suspension of disbelief I was clinging to.

Gatekeeper
I didn't even see that part about the battleship getting powered up. I think the movie pummeled me into unconsciousness for periods at at time.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 12:41 AM   #104
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

The Missouri was active during the first Gulf War and it is not so unbelievable that the ship is capable of building up steam for a maintenance run (described as such in the film). They couldn't do a lot of fancy maneuvers (due to equipment/crew deficiencies) and had to get within spitting distance to have any chance of actually hitting the enemy vessel. Though it looked like most of the gun crew was focused at the fire director station, which could have coordinated and automatically fired all the guns together, which was good. What is unlikely is that live rounds and powder charges were stored aboard, but whatever. The vets were also more likely mostly from the Korean War or reactivation service during the 80s, early 90s, with maybe a smattering of WWII codgers. Plus they had the survivors from the Japanese destroyer and the John Paul Jones, so probably around 300 sailors, which would be sufficient for limited ship operations for a very brief period.

Earlier mention of Guided Missile Destroyers not using their missiles during the initial engagement seems to have missed that their radar was down. There was no way to effectively guide the missiles until they whipped out the water density wave buoy thing, which wouldn't have worked if comms and radar are out...again, how do you guide the missiles if you can't relay target coordinates to them or have them track on their own? According to the movie, only more primitive radio frequencies and super-science suitcase boosted comms work.

Speaking of communications. When the alien communication ship broke up and went down, it didn't look like it was being deliberately aimed at anything. It just hit skyscrapers and a portside business area during business hours. They mention 25,000 casualties in Hong Kong, which were potential numbers for 9/11 had the buildings immediately collapsed, instead of allowing for evacuation.

I quite enjoyed the film. Yeah, it was dumb in parts, but I had fun. Watching Mighty Mo' pound the ever-loving crap out of the alien command ship was awesome. And the stuff with Sun Tzu and the nerdy scientist were funny, as were the mumbled comments of the main character. I do wish they had allowed for more of the international ships to do something, though it was cool to see Japanese warships work with American ships against a common enemy for all of five minutes before exploding.

It's a shame it's doing poorly domestically, cause Transformers 3 was so fucking stupid and boring and incomprehensible, yet it made a bajillion dollars. At least I knew what was happening in this one from scene to scene.

(I did have a headscratcher over why that one alien let the scientist walk away with the suitcase comm gear after they had apparently executed the student interns. Maybe in the novelization that alien will be one of the crewmen who doesn't want to invade and crush Earth and just wants to go home. Little does he know, the next day Mighty Mo is going to flatten him because of this act of kindness.)
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2012, 07:20 AM   #105
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

B.

Don't try to bring the real world into this movie (or any action film, for that matter), because it quickly falls apart. But as an effort to bring the Harboro game to the big screen, it succeeds with spectacle and unmitigated gall.

I admire gall.

Some fun facts: Gliese 581 is twenty light-years from Earth. It is a red-dwarf, and Gliese 581g (Planet G) was discovered in 2010, not 2005. Even so, if Battleship took place in 2012, the aliens responded to a signal thirteen years before the signal could have reached Planet G.

The aliens built with matter not even on the periodic table of elements, except for lawrencium. All the isotopes for lawrencium are extremely unstable and most have a half-life measured in minutes.

According to Men's Health Magazine, the chicken burrito (or at least Chipotle Grille's version of it), is number 16 on their list of the 20 worst foods in America.