Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie:
A+ 1 4.35%
A 0 0%
A- 2 8.70%
B+ 5 21.74%
B 4 17.39%
B- 2 8.70%
C+ 1 4.35%
C 5 21.74%
C- 1 4.35%
D+ 0 0%
D 2 8.70%
D- 0 0%
FAIL!!!!! 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 22 2012, 11:29 PM   #76
Aldo
Admiral

Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

I just got back from seeing it for free. I can't in good conscious say the film was good, but I did enjoy it, for it being free and all.

There were parts where I had a grin on my face, and parts where I thought the movie was going to become good, but then something dumb happened.

And boy are the previews misleading, I thought Liam Neeson was going to be in this film a lot more than he was.
Old May 22 2012, 11:34 PM   #77
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Aeolusdallas wrote: View Post
Star Wolf wrote: View Post

I am beginning to seriously doubt that you actually saw the movie.......

Hong kong was an accident. Even the humans in the movie knew this. The highway attack clearly showed the balls avoiding civilians whenever possible.
An "accident" in one of the most densly popualted parts of the planet, which would cause the world's largest army to be tied down in disaster relief. Followed by the other ships landing near what would be the world's largest naval fleet and cutting it off and destroying the fleets land bases. Suddenly the accident can not be just an accident
That doesn't make sense at all. The ship broke up in orbit and parts of it fell on Hong Kong. That is an accident. If you were driving a car and something fell off of a truck in front of you and it caused you to crash intoa store front killing people, does that make you guilty of murder?
Nope but if you missed the large desert, and ocean, and empty lot and hit the tiny store there will be a police investigation before accident is determined to be the cause.
Old May 22 2012, 11:38 PM   #78
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Aldo wrote: View Post
And boy are the previews misleading, I thought Liam Neeson was going to be in this film a lot more than he was.
Yeah, that was pretty disappointing. I was expecting more of Neeson as well. Maybe him talking about his particular set of skills that make him a nightmare for aliens like them.

It seems misleading trailers are becoming a thing with Liam Neeson films right now after the misleading trailer set up for the big fight in Wolf-Puncher... sorry, The Grey (still a good movie, though).

Then again, I was also expecting a lot more of the Basterds after the Inglorious Basterds trailer than what we actually wound up with, as well.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 11:45 PM   #79
Aeolusdallas
Captain

An "accident" in one of the most densly popualted parts of the planet, which would cause the world's largest army to be tied down in disaster relief. Followed by the other ships landing near what would be the world's largest naval fleet and cutting it off and destroying the fleets land bases. Suddenly the accident can not be just an accident
That doesn't make sense at all. The ship broke up in orbit and parts of it fell on Hong Kong. That is an accident. If you were driving a car and something fell off of a truck in front of you and it caused you to crash intoa store front killing people, does that make you guilty of murder?
Nope but if you missed the large desert, and ocean, and empty lot and hit the tiny store there will be a police investigation before accident is determined to be the cause.
I think you are missing the point of the word "crash" The did not control where they fell. It was an accident. The other 4 ships went to Hawaii because that is where the message they got came from. They were then attacked by human ships and only defended themselves until the point where they decided to phone home. Then they went on the offensive and even then the movie very clearly shows them trying to minimize civilian casualties.
Aeolusdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 11:53 PM   #80
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Aeolusdallas wrote:
Nice try, but I sat through it just like you did.

Hong kong was an accident. Even the humans in the movie knew this.
Yes it was. The bocce ball attacks after Hong Kong were deliberate.

The highway attack clearly showed the balls avoiding civilians whenever possible.
Avoiding civilians wouldn't have been necessary if they hadn't launched the balls at all. They did. Nice attack or not, that's an attack on civilians.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 12:09 AM   #81
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Aeolusdallas wrote:
Nice try, but I sat through it just like you did.

Hong kong was an accident. Even the humans in the movie knew this.
Yes it was. The bocce ball attacks after Hong Kong were deliberate.

The highway attack clearly showed the balls avoiding civilians whenever possible.
Avoiding civilians wouldn't have been necessary if they hadn't launched the balls at all. They did. Nice attack or not, that's an attack on civilians.
The were cutting off road access to their objective. That is a legitimate military objective. And they didn't do it until AFTER they were attacked first.
Old May 23 2012, 12:33 AM   #82
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

I think you are missing the point of the word "crash" The did not control where they fell. It was an accident. The other 4 ships went to Hawaii because that is where the message they got came from. They were then attacked by human ships and only defended themselves until the point where they decided to phone home. Then they went on the offensive and even then the movie very clearly shows them trying to minimize civilian casualties.
I am not missing it, I am playng odds. If it were a crash why does it hit population where it is densly packed instead of open ocean or fields of barley? It wouldnt be the first soldier who lost his ship or plane and decided to take out as many as he could before his death
Old May 23 2012, 12:41 AM   #83
Aeolusdallas
Captain

I am not missing it, I am playng odds. If it were a crash why does it hit population where it is densly packed instead of open ocean or fields of barley? It wouldnt be the first soldier who lost his ship or plane and decided to take out as many as he could before his death
You are deliberately twisting what happened.
Old May 23 2012, 12:49 AM   #84
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

If it were a crash why does it hit population where it is densly packed instead of open ocean or fields of barley? It wouldnt be the first soldier who lost his ship or plane and decided to take out as many as he could before his death
Why do movie asteroids and other natural disasters seem to deliberately seek out famous landmarks and cities to destroy? Because it looks cooler to destroy a city or a landmark than a field or the open ocean. I doubt there was anything more to the writer's decision to have the crash take place in Hong Kong than that.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 12:59 AM   #85
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

No more so then saying the evil warmongering LT got his CO and everybody who can tell a different story killed
Old May 23 2012, 01:16 AM   #86
Aeolusdallas
Captain

No more so then saying the evil warmongering LT got his CO and everybody who can tell a different story killed
I never said that. I said the humans fired first and the aliens repeatedly attempted to avoid civilian casualties. That is un disputable. You on the other hand are suggesting (without a shred of evidence) that the aliens knowingly and purposely kamikazed Hong Kong. Which flies in the face of every single bit of evidence we have.

You are twisting the evidence.
Old May 23 2012, 01:26 AM   #87
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

I never said that. I said the humans fired first and the aliens repeatedly attempted to avoid civilian casualties. That is un disputable. You on the other hand are suggesting (without a shred of evidence) that the aliens knowingly and purposely kamikazed Hong Kong. Which flies in the face of every single bit of evidence we have.

Why people have laws, yet some people break them. The evidence is the size of earth and the size of Hong Kong, to miss everything but hit Hong Kong itself would take almost the hand of a deity deciding to become involved. Besides this is a long thread, the entire fire first thing rabbit hole and the stupid human who forced all of the alien actions that someone blogged somewhere and was paraphrased here.
Old May 23 2012, 01:32 AM   #88
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Why people have laws, yet some people break them. The evidence is the size of earth and the size of Hong Kong, to miss everything but hit Hong Kong itself would take almost the hand of a deity deciding to become involved. Besides this is a long thread, the entire fire first thing rabbit hole and the stupid human who forced all of the alien actions that someone blogged somewhere and was paraphrased here.
The ship broke apart in orbit an parts of it fell all over. One part happened to hit Hong Kong. That is not deliberate. Are you also suggesting that the meteor in Armageddon purposely hit Paris? I mean The evidence is the size of earth and the size to miss everything but hit Paris itself would take almost the hand of a deity deciding to become involved. Oh no wait, random things happen and movie directors like seeing famous cities and landmarks smashed up.

Why would the aliens work so hard at not hurting civilians in every single engagement (serously they put more effort into avoid civilian casualties than humans armies almost ever do) except Hong Kong?
Old May 23 2012, 01:40 AM   #89
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

The ship broke apart in orbit an parts of it fell all over. One part happened to hit Hong Kong. That is not deliberate. Are you also suggesting that the meteor in Armageddon purposely hit Paris? I mean The evidence is the size of earth and the size to miss everything but hit Paris itself would take almost the hand of a deity deciding to become involved. Oh no wait, random things happen and movie directors like seeing famous cities and landmarks smashed up.

Why would the aliens work so hard at not hurting civilians in every single engagement (serously they put more effort into avoid civilian casualties than humans armies almost ever do) except Hong Kong?
The same reason the US Military will try to do everything right in Afghanistan but then after years of trying to build trust one soldier goes on a murder spree
Old May 23 2012, 01:49 AM   #90
Aeolusdallas
Captain

The same reason the US Military will try to do everything right in Afghanistan but then after years of trying to build trust one soldier goes on a murder spree
Nothing in the movie even vaguely supports your assertion.