To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 4 2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Star Wars live action series: how grownup is too grownup?

The problem with the live-action series.

But according to longtime Lucas producer Rick McCallum, there's a bigger obstacle than the show's finances: It's not exactly family-friendly...What's got McCallum more worried is how to sell the show's adult content and still maintain the Star Wars brand.
"Our biggest problem is that these stories are adult. I mean...these are like Deadwood in space. It so unlike anything you've ever associated with George before in relation to Star Wars. These aren't for kids. I mean, we hope they'll watch, but it's not being targeted at 8-to-9 year old boys."
It's possible to make Star Wars that is "grown up" but not "adult." McCallum is right that Deadwood is outside the Star Wars brand, but doesn't need to be like Deadwood to have appeal to grown ups. The series doesn't need to be "gritty" (to use an overused term) by having the sex and violence of a cable series, and the overarching sense of doom and the futility of human existence blah blah blah.

Star Wars
' essential character is that it doesn't exist in that kind of "real world." It exists in a stylized cosmos derived from myth, which has a deliberate air of unreality about it. Regardless of whether you think there's some kind of "eternal clash between good and evil" in our universe, there's one in the Star Wars universe, and in fact, that's the single defining element of that universe.

So the Deadwood approach would be off-brand even if it were as sanitized as Sesame Street. It exists in the wrong universe.

To have a grown-up Star Wars simply would mean more complexity and depth to personalities and politics. The OT was pretty simple (if effective) in that regard; a TV series would give you more latitude to play with. There could even be more theological/metaphysical complexity, delving more into the actual meaning of the "eternal clash between good and evil."

The violence never needs to get worse than PG - the good guys fighting and killing actual flesh and blood beings, not just robots, but not necessarily in a graphic way. And sex has always struck me as out of place in Star Wars. Leia's bikini is about as far as they need to take it.

Basically, take the approach of The Clone Wars and put less emphasis on action, and more on the characters and the complexity of the storyline. You could have a show that a smart eight year old could follow, but wouldn't bore a grown-up.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Wars live action series: how grownup is too grownup?

That sounds... kinda awesome.

Anyways, what you do is what Batman is doing. They release a kids cartoon (Brave and the Bold - my 3 and 5 year old nephews love it). They release a more mature Batman cartoon (The Batman, Direct to DVD movies, Timm-verse Batman, etc etc), and then they also release the adult Batman (Nolan movies) stuff. It's all about effective targeted marketing.

Also I don't really see why they have to reach "Deadwood" levels of maturity. Hell, just hitting a Farscape/Angel/DS9/LOST level of maturity would be more than enough.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2012, 07:40 PM   #3
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

No matter what they say they want to do, it is not going to be Deadwood. If it ever happens.
Old June 4 2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, it would end up as a pathetic and misguided attempt to be Deadwood - the worst possible thing.
Old June 4 2012, 08:33 PM   #5
cylkoth
Commodore

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
Also I don't really see why they have to reach "Deadwood" levels of maturity. Hell, just hitting a Farscape/Angel/DS9/LOST level of maturity would be more than enough.
Thank you. I was going to post something similar-namely, the original Trek was a 10pm show, that didn't stop young-ins like me from watching once it hit rerun syndication.
The assumation that you can't be adult without tossing in cuss words and naked boobies is really tiresome. Just tell a good frickin story (that makes sense!), and everybody will line up for it.
It's Star Wars stupid.
Old June 4 2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

For all we know, "scruffy nerfherder" is as salacious as anything Al Swearegen ever spewed at the screen. And "sithspawn" definitely sounds nasty.
Old June 4 2012, 08:53 PM   #7
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

How do you say ''cocksucker' in Huttese?
Old June 4 2012, 09:16 PM   #8
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Old June 4 2012, 09:26 PM   #9
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Old June 5 2012, 02:26 AM   #10
JD
Admiral

Yeah, I don't really see the need to take things up to a "Deadwood" level of content. Like Temis said, they just need make the stories a little more complex, and maybe get into some darker themes for it to be more "adult". They really don't need all of the sex/nudity, graphic violence, or languarge for adults to get into it.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 04:43 PM   #11
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

JD wrote: View Post
Yeah, I don't really see the need to take things up to a "Deadwood" level of content. Like Temis said, they just need make the stories a little more complex.
Actually, what they need is to make the stories, period.

After seven years, I've given up waiting for this show.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 04:56 PM   #12
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post

This.

Is.

Genius.

That is all.
Old June 5 2012, 04:59 PM   #13
Relayer1
Commodore

There was a LOT of interest in this a while ago. If they don't get it moving soon, no-one will care.

Oh, wait...
Old June 5 2012, 05:49 PM   #14
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
No matter what they say they want to do, it is not going to be Deadwood. If it ever happens.
I'm the biggest George Lucas fan in the multiverse and even i don't buy McCallum's load.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 07:01 PM   #15
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I would definitely watch a Star Wars as dark as Deadwood.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote