TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 16 2012, 08:40 PM   #16
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: "Space Command"

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Avatar had much the same story as Dances With Wolves or A Man Called Horse.
The story is actually much, much older than the existence of movies.

Indeed. But the basic point remains - that one need not have an entirely original idea (if such a thing even exists any more) to make great cinema or tv.
Old May 16 2012, 08:50 PM   #17
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Am I the only one who's tired of these pitch reels that offer no substance? Not a hint about the show's format? We gets lot of "he's so talented" and "we have this amazing person" and nothing much about what the show is.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 08:54 PM   #18
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who's tired of these pitch reels that offer no substance? Not a hint about the show's format? We gets lot of "he's so talented" and "we have this amazing person" and nothing much about what the show is.
You're not the only one, no. What they are selling here, though, is the industry experience of the people putting the show together - and they're selling that to potential financial supporters rather than primarily creating a come-on to their assumed-to-be eventual audience.

They've picked up about 15 percent of their fundraising goal in the first day of their campaign. I'm going to watch the progress of the Kickstarter effort pretty closely. Is what they've displayed so far everything that they have to show in the next two months, or are they (one would hope) going to keep new information coming throughout the campaign?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 08:57 PM   #19
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

I get that, but industry experience alone doesn't sell me on contributing to anything. Is the project interesting, AND does it have the right people? That's what I want to see.
Old May 16 2012, 09:02 PM   #20
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I'd like to see one of these take off, it seems that you either end up with an end product that never works as well as the concept trailers or the final product never materializes (like Buck Rogers). I'm glad to see fan film type projects moving past existing properties and like the spirit involved.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 09:03 PM   #21
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

75,000 dollars, BTW, is far from the limit of their financial ambitions here. At http://pledgespacecommand.com/ they're soliciting contributions of up to a quarter of a million dollars.

Frankly, the "rewards" they're offering when they get to that hypothetical level of contribution are pretty weak tea. A teeshirt or a prop is a nice "thank you" for a few hundred, but for hundreds of thousands any sane person is going to want a piece of the action.
Old May 16 2012, 09:13 PM   #22
Tom
Rear Admiral

I get that, but industry experience alone doesn't sell me on contributing to anything. Is the project interesting, AND does it have the right people? That's what I want to see.
It does have the right people, I know a few of them but there are still some gaps. I am not sure i'm sold on the 50's type style though, the retro nature is cool in a lot of ways, but i'm not sure its for everyone. Doug has always been a retro sorta guy.

I am also interested in watching how their pledge drive goes. I have seen Kickstarter work for some, but fail for others. It's really all about the product they are pitching. It they could get enough funds to string together a small trailer that would help there cause.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 09:19 PM   #23
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
It does have the right people, I know a few of them but there are still some gaps. I am not sure i'm sold on the 50's type style though, the retro nature is cool in a lot of ways, but i'm not sure its for everyone. Doug has always been a retro sorta guy.

I am also interested in watching how their pledge drive goes. I have seen Kickstarter work for some, but fail for others. It's really all about the product they are pitching. It they could get enough funds to string together a small trailer that would help there cause.
The Buck Rogers Begins Kickstarter failed utterly, for instance.

I don't think they need to shoot a trailer, but I would like to know something about what the show is rather than it merely harkening back to those thrilling Space Patrol days.
Old May 16 2012, 09:25 PM   #24
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

That's true. These guys are already doing enormously better with their campaign than BRB did.

Since my post half an hour ago they've moved from about 15 percent to 22 percent funding.

It's a binary effort of course - they reach their goal or they get nothing.
Old May 16 2012, 09:58 PM   #25
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

They could be like the Least I Could Do guys and hit all their funding in a day, or they could start strong and it peters out. Let's see!
Old May 16 2012, 11:14 PM   #26
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I think some of that will depend on whether they have more detail to show to continue to draw attention to themselves. Zicree has made his living as a writer for quite a long time, and I can't imagine that they don't have characters, storylines and a bible for this show.
Old May 16 2012, 11:21 PM   #27
xortex
Commodore

It's certainly gonna be alot better than NuTrek which is not saying much unless you consider the vast discrepancy in the budgets. It still is very hard to pull off the right pacing and approach on any budget to make it not seem too cartoony or Star Warish, etc. and make it feel really believable. Certainly Andromeda didn't pull it off in any way. The ship and sfx were ludicrous as was TNG's even. It's a balancing act of knowing what not to do or do too much of. Treating aliens and space more carefully and with more respect is a good way to start.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 11:34 PM   #28
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Fantastic. This is what I've been saying for ages. Fan films have shown that quality movies can be made on a budget; you can make a great movie for 100k and a quarter of a billion dollars won't make a movie good. I hope these guys can pull this off and I will definitely contribute to their efforts.
Old May 16 2012, 11:41 PM   #29
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

xortex wrote: View Post
It's certainly gonna be alot better than NuTrek which is not saying much unless you consider the vast discrepancy in the budgets.
Old May 16 2012, 11:42 PM   #30
xortex
Commodore

Is Jason going to be in it and who owns the property?
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote