Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 28 2008, 11:15 PM   #1
Clym
Captain

Why did Michael O'Hare leave Babylon 5?

I've heard that he and JMS reached a mutual agreement but that they never disclosed exactly why they decided he should leave. Was it because he wasn't a good enough actor?
Clym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 11:30 PM   #2
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Why did Michael O'Hare leave Babylon 5?

There are multiple stories. Even the scriptbooks don't put the issue to rest. Its likely that the only people who will ever know where in the room with WB (or was it PTEN?) when the decision was made.

I'm sure Jan will be by presently to offer up what little was in the script books.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 11:54 PM   #3
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I was at a con, and Claudia asked for the camcorders to be shut off. Then she told this guy that she could see the blinking red light which meant he was still filming her... Then she told us that it was because Michael was sleazy and "inappropriate" with some of the women on the set, whatever that means to whatever degree.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2008, 11:57 PM   #4
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

^Unlikely that they would have had him return later in the series if that was the case.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 12:20 AM   #5
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I thought it was because he wanted to be nearer his family in New York.

Kind of the opposite reason George Dzundza left Law & Order.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 12:27 AM   #6
Jan
Commodore

Harvey wrote: View Post
I'm sure Jan will be by presently to offer up what little was in the script books.
No, I've already done that once today. That's enough.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 01:07 AM   #7
Harvey
Admiral

Changeling Jan wrote: View Post

Jan
Hey, thanks, Jan. A link is plenty fine.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 01:08 AM   #8
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
she told us that it was because Michael was sleazy and "inappropriate" with some of the women on the set
I'm sure she knows what that's like.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 01:10 AM   #9
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I must be one of the few people who really enjoyed O'Hare's performance. He was a man suffering from PTSD, he was subdued as hell and clearly depressed and O'Hare really showed that. It's just a very different role to see on TV, especially on a sci-fi show (well, until BSG but they were able to play with it more than they were back then).

I was at a con, and Claudia asked for the camcorders to be shut off. Then she told this guy that she could see the blinking red light which meant he was still filming her... Then she told us that it was because Michael was sleazy and "inappropriate" with some of the women on the set, whatever that means to whatever degree.
That sounds like bullshit (on Claudia's part, not yours). She's been known to say some not so truthful things in the past. I saw her a few years back and she still left it somewhat ambiguous as to how she left B5.
Old October 29 2008, 02:01 AM   #10
Clym
Captain

Jan
Hey, thanks, Jan. A link is plenty fine.
I read that thread, thanks.

I don't know what others think of O'Hare's performance, but I thought it was quite wooden, so I'm glad that he was replaced by Boxleitner.

I also read somewhere that there had been rumors of behavioral problems with OHare on set, but I don't know if there's any truth to that.
Clym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 02:04 AM   #11
Anwar
Vice Admiral

One rumor is that he was more used to how stage acting was done than TV, and this annoyed the rest of the cast.

Another is that JMS realized he gave too many storylines to one char (Minbari time-traveling savior AND the stuff Sheridan did) and decided to even it out.

Another is that the Network just didn't like him.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 02:07 AM   #12
M
Vice Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I must be one of the few people who really enjoyed O'Hare's performance.
Are you kidding? I loved loved loved Michael O'Hare as Commander Sinclair! The look on his eyes told you more about his inner feelings than a thousand words.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 02:42 AM   #13
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

I must be one of the few people who really enjoyed O'Hare's performance. He was a man suffering from PTSD, he was subdued as hell and clearly depressed and O'Hare really showed that. It's just a very different role to see on TV, especially on a sci-fi show (well, until BSG but they were able to play with it more than they were back then).
I too like Michael O'Hare and got to met him at SDCC the summer before Babylon 5 aired as a series. He seemed quite nice and thoughtful. Much like Sinclair, he seems like a person who is more introspective. It showed in his performance, which was right for the character. I also liked that he went against the type of MediaSF captain. He wasn't the space cowboy.

Garabaldi called it in "Infection." Sinclair, especially in the first season, was looking for something to die for and not something to live for. The Earth-Minbari War had defined Sinclair for so long that he didn't know how to move beyond it.

That sounds like bullshit (on Claudia's part, not yours). She's been known to say some not so truthful things in the past. I saw her a few years back and she still left it somewhat ambiguous as to how she left B5.
Claudia has been known to "bad mouth" O'Hare in magazine interviews. She's said that he was a pain to work with and that he was a "serious" performer that didn't joke around on the set all that much. Doyle has made similar comments as well. Apparently, they didn't get along too much with O'Hare and are vocal about how well they got along better with Bruce.

O'Hare, however, apparently got along well with Mira Furlan, another fellow theater actor.

Of course, this is the first time I've heard allegations of "inappropriate" behavior. Then again, both Claudia and Doyle are known for hyperbole in their recollections of the series.

Doug Netter was quoted once as saying that the network forced the change (although, he may have been misquoted as it appeared in a British SF mag that isn't known for its accuracy), while Harlan Ellison was quoted in TV Guide as saying that Sinclair's departure was planned from the start.

The truth, as the show says, is a three-edged sword. Whatever it is, it will remain between, as JMS says, the four people in the room that day. As it should be. It is what it is. The series we got is the series we got.

Last edited by Ryan Thomas Riddle; October 29 2008 at 04:15 AM.
Ryan Thomas Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 03:20 AM   #14
Jan
Commodore

I liked the way O'Hare portrayed Sinclair also. A lot. I thought his portrayal of a man whose career advancement had stopped cold after the missing 24 hours at the end of the Minbari war, suddenly and inexplicably given a high-profile, plum job far beyond what would ordinarily be assigned to somebody of his rank was perfect. What some call wooden, I call subtle. Look how much more relaxed he was when he came back in the third season. Relieved of his survivor's guilt and no longer in the crosshairs of every officer who'd wanted the job on B5, he was able to relax and enjoy an adventure and ready to become the greatest historical figure in the Minbari culture.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2008, 03:44 AM   #15
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Look how much more relaxed he was when he came back in the third season. Relieved of his survivor's guilt and no longer in the crosshairs of every officer who'd wanted the job on B5, he was able to relax and enjoy an adventure and ready to become the greatest historical figure in the Minbari culture.
Fo'sho.

The character of Sinclair I identified with more than Sheridan because of his line in WWoE. "All my life, I've wondered who I am and where I belong," he says in the episode to Delenn. You could see this in the first-season with the character. He was a man looking for a purpose. I didn't get that vibe as much with Sheridan, who despite still having to get over certain things and be able to do much darker things than he would've done prior to Z'ha'Dum, felt very much like the arrived hero.

Sinclair felt very much like the hero in progress.