RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 368
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 27 2012, 11:53 PM   #46
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Re: Law & Order:SVU-Has It Gone Down The Crapper?

This year was a step up, especially with the subtraction of Stabler. That dynamic had long lost its appeal for me.

Danny Pino was actually the weak part of the season for me. Though I enjoyed that by the end of the season, the job has warn him down from his fresh faced smile from the beginning of the season, the whole "My wife is cheating on me" story was not well written.

Although her own gambling storyline seemed really shoehorned in there, Giddish really works well with the cast and I look forward to her growth.
Old June 13 2012, 08:20 PM   #47
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

KB24 wrote: View Post
I stopped watching ever since they put Munch and Fin in the crapper and tried to go with that Chester Lake crap. The revolving door of cast and same old stories was just totally uncompelling anymore. Every time I think of it, it just makes me want to watch Homicide.
Anything you think about should make you want to watch Homicide. It's simply one of the best shows in all of creation.

ATimson wrote: View Post
[If] SVU went down the crapper, it happened back in season 2, with Neal Baer's takeover.
Yeah. There was this unique flavor to the 1st season that the show lost in subsequent seasons. I especially love all of Munch's scenes in that 1st season.

gazomg wrote: View Post
you forgot trial by jury and law and order los angelas timby
He also forgot Conviction. But then, the producers seem to be counting on that. I can't think of any other TV series that ever used a regular actor from one series to play a new, totally different regular character on a spin-off series. And that happened twice with Conviction actresses. Milena Govich went on the play Nina Cassidy in the awful 17th season of Law & Order. Julianne Nicholson became Mike Logan's partner on Criminal Intent.

Personally, I've always been more of a fan of lawyers than cops. Jack McCoy & Michael Cutter were what got me addicted to the original Law & Order. And Conviction & Trial by Jury were my favorite spin-offs.
Old June 13 2012, 09:37 PM   #48
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post

He also forgot Conviction. But then, the producers seem to be counting on that.
If so, they've succeeded, as I hated Conviction. (I don't even consider it a Law & Order show, in the strictest sense - sure, it takes place in that universe, but then again, so does Homicide.)

I can't think of any other TV series that ever used a regular actor from one series to play a new, totally different regular character on a spin-off series.
Oh, that happens all the time in the L&O universe. IIRC, at least three of the regulars on Trial By Jury were 'repeat offenders'. So were almost the entire cast of SVU, plus a few from CI as well.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 10:08 PM   #49
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

I can't think of any other TV series that ever used a regular actor from one series to play a new, totally different regular character on a spin-off series.
Oh, that happens all the time in the L&O universe. IIRC, at least three of the regulars on Trial By Jury were 'repeat offenders'. So were almost the entire cast of SVU, plus a few from CI as well.
Ice-T played a drug dealer on the original at one point, right?
Old June 13 2012, 10:09 PM   #50
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ Ice-T was never in the original series, but he was in the TV-movie (Exiled) spun off from it. I've never seen it, though, so I don't know what kind of character he played.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old June 13 2012, 10:33 PM   #51
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

^ Ice-T was never in the original series, but he was in the TV-movie (Exiled) spun off from it. I've never seen it, though, so I don't know what kind of character he played.
Ice-T played a pimp in Exiled: A Law & Order Movie, but it was pretty bad, so I don't blame you for never seeing it.

He said regular actors. The only regular actors from a L&O-universe show to be recycled into an entirely different character that I can think of are, as The Borgified Corpse said, Julianne Nicholson and Milena Govich, from the aforementioned Conviction.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 11:01 PM   #52
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ So you mean, just those who were regulars on one series and became (different) regulars on another? OK.

Although, Julianne was in the original series before she was on either of the spinoffs.
Old June 18 2012, 04:36 AM   #53
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Knight Templar wrote: View Post
I've always been a big fan of Law & Order in general and SVU in particular.

But in my opinion, the last few seasons of the series have really gone down the toilet. Part of the reason I think is Chris Meloni's departure. I'm not certain but it seems that Mariska Hargitay's acting is not nearly as good without Meloni to play off of. The last couple of seasons she has come off shrill, overbearing, and more or less as a wannabe avenging angel.

And the rest of the ensemble can't seem to carry the water so to speak.

And the writers seem more interesting in piling up plots that are so indecipherable that if you glance away you can't follow anything.

Anyone else watch this show and feel this way?
My girlfriend is a big Law & Order fan, she still watches all episodes no matter if they are repeats
Keith1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2012, 01:52 AM   #54
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Knight Templar wrote: View Post
I've always been a big fan of Law & Order in general and SVU in particular.

But in my opinion, the last few seasons of the series have really gone down the toilet. Part of the reason I think is Chris Meloni's departure. I'm not certain but it seems that Mariska Hargitay's acting is not nearly as good without Meloni to play off of. The last couple of seasons she has come off shrill, overbearing, and more or less as a wannabe avenging angel.

And the rest of the ensemble can't seem to carry the water so to speak.

And the writers seem more interesting in piling up plots that are so indecipherable that if you glance away you can't follow anything.

Anyone else watch this show and feel this way?
SVU has suffered for a lot of years with the making a plot so obtuse. I started to wait to see what the twist would be. Which possible suspect would break from police custody and get in a shoot out in the precinct? Which victim's family member would somehow smuggle a gun into the precinct and shoot the bad guy? The amount of times that the latter happened makes you wonder how Cragen kept his command this long.

The plots also went crazy weird for the sake of being weird. How many people want to have their legs cut off like that fetish episode? However, the episode with James Van Der Beek from Dawson's Creek was an excellent episode, well constructed, acted, etc.

The characters have all grown stale. Both Stabler and Benson had come to a point where the writers had written themselves into a corner and couldn't think of anywhere else to go with the characters. They've had Ice-T coming to terms with his son's homosexuality and the new characters had their flashes (even though they weren't the best), but the two leads were stuck.
Old June 19 2012, 03:12 AM   #55
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ This last season was better - more realistic in terms of plots, i.e. not many of the outlandish wide-ranging stuff they used to have. And for the first time in years, if not ever, all episode titles were more than one word.
Old June 20 2012, 08:08 AM   #56
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

I have seen Homicide many, many times. I absolutely adore it. The show never jumped, was always compelling even in the sub par final two seasons, and as SVU has gone on, it has become a far cry from Homicide. Seriously, I don't understand why TNT just doesn't rerun it and get a few million viewers. Instead of having that quality on tv, SVU just plods along.

But if Cragen is forced out, then does that mean Munch will end up in charge? They would never make Benson a Sergeant. It seems once a character is promote to sergeant, it is the kiss of death because the writers don't know what to do with such a middle man position. Even so, it would take a lot more to get me to pursue SVU again. What's left for them to do? You know, I'm surprised they never tried an SVU spinoff. A few cross overs with another city SVU or have a character move and join elsewhere. Not that it would really change much, but it would be some form of fresh whilst keeping the heinous aspects.

Although, is anyone else worried how homogenized we've become to it all?
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 01:42 AM   #57
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Sorry for the bump, but Firefly fans might want to take a note of this...apparently there is a major cast change in store for SVU season 14:

Also it may feature the return of

And a guest appearance by

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; September 10 2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old September 10 2012, 02:14 AM   #58
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Sorry for the bump, but Firefly fans might want to take a note of this...apparently there is a major cast change in store for SVU season 14:

=
That's a one-time guest spot in the season premiere.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 02:54 AM   #59
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ Are you sure? I thought the fact that

was a foregone conclusion.
Old September 10 2012, 03:29 AM   #60
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post

=
That's a one-time guest spot in the season premiere.
Actually he's signed for 3 episodes: tvline