Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 5 2012, 08:59 PM   #16
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Would a 6 million dollar man (Bionic Man-type) reboot work now?)

Personally, I'm surprised it hasn't been redone before now. What with old tv shows being rebooted over the years, the penchant for Terminator/ Robocop cybernetic heroes and anti-heroes and, of course, the proliferation of superhero movies, you'd think TSMDM would be a shoo-in for revival. Ticks all tbe boxes.
Old May 7 2012, 06:43 PM   #17
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I'm suprised that SMDM hasn't been updated, too. I think it could make great modern tv.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2012, 07:44 PM   #18
MacLeod
Admiral

We also had a show called Jake 2.0 which could be considered close to a reboot for the Six Million Dollar Man
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2012, 08:09 PM   #19
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
We also had a show called Jake 2.0 which could be considered close to a reboot for the Six Million Dollar Man
Jake 2.0 episode "Double Agent" featured Lee Majors.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0614147/
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2012, 08:41 PM   #20
MacLeod
Admiral

Yes I remember that some what vaugely, well it has been several years since it was last on.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2012, 08:45 PM   #21
Lonemagpie
Writer

I don't see why this couldn't work now - Jake 2.0 practically was it already

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 05:23 AM   #22
sojourner
Admiral

^and didn't work apparently.
Old May 8 2012, 06:11 AM   #23
DeepSpaceWine
Commander

What's 6 million in 1974 dollars worth now?
DeepSpaceWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 07:39 AM   #24
Wereghost
Commodore

^ Just under $28m, according to the US Inflation Calculator. That seems very cheap.
Old May 8 2012, 08:21 PM   #25
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Inflation calculator be damned, if it's back, it'll be The Six Billion Dollar Man, I reckon.
Old May 8 2012, 10:28 PM   #26
Wereghost
Commodore

^ I like Kevin Smith's $6m dollars per day idea. That works out at about $6.6bn over three years.
Old May 8 2012, 10:39 PM   #27
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Would a 6 million dollar man (Bionic Man-type) reboot work now?)
For a TV series based on the original... no... it's not something i can see working... the TV series had it's time in the 70's and 80's, ideas and media have moved on from then...

there have been a few attempts to resussitate 70's and 80's TV shows into new series with more 'flair' and design... even ignoring the Bionic Woman disaster....

Anyone remember the horrendous 2008 version of Knight Rider? With KITT voiced by Val Kilmer and looking like he'd been designed by Pimp My Ride? Or how about last years completely disastrous remake of the Charlies Angels TV series... So abysmal that even an hours worth of watching hot women in scantily clad clothing couldn't save it...

The time for these 70's and 80's shows is over, let them rest in piece... for the premise, they could just as easily do an Iron Man TV series, basic writing and ideas are the same, and i'm sure it would do better than a remake of the million dollar man idea...

M
Old May 9 2012, 12:16 AM   #28
sojourner
Admiral

^pssst, Hawaii-50.

The problem with an Ironman show isiy would be scads more expensive to film. All that CGI for the armor. The "strength" in the SMDM concept is that most of the time it's just an actor with some post effects. Much more cost effective to film.
Old May 9 2012, 01:42 AM   #29
Warped9
Admiral

I agree times have changed. Despite Watergate cynicism in regard to government and government agencies hadn't yet affected all of television program yet when the SMDM was made, It was therefore easy for the audience at large to still accept the idea of a good guy doing work for a benevolent (so to speak) government agency. Today I think that would be harder to sell because many have become quite cynical.

That isn't to say a revamped version of the SMDM couldn't be done. I think the short lived series Now And Again came close, but they chose to focus on the hero's family connections and strayed away from the action-adventure and intrigue aspects of the story.

Again it all comes down to execution. If you set it up right and deliver it in just the right way then you could still make it work. It's too easy to say "this won't work because no one will buy that anymore." There are too many examples of that being said until someone comes along to successfully challenge the assumption.

Westerns don't sell, but then we get Dances With Wolves and Unforgiven and quite a few other good westerns since. Pirates don't sell anymore and then we get Pirates Of The Caribbean. Superheroes are strictly for comic books and Saturday morning programming. Really...
Old May 9 2012, 09:29 PM   #30
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

We've had successful tv reboots/ remakes of BSG, Hawaii 5-0 and Doctor Who while Mission: Impossible and others have been successfully remade for the big screen. What was the name of that space show that JJ Abrams remade a couple of years ago? The name's on the tip of my tongue...If only it had a BBS of its own...

Of course, no-one expects TSMDM to be remade exactly as it was and yes, tastes have changed since then. But just because other shows have been done badly, it doesn't mean that this one can't be done well.