A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 3 2012, 04:53 PM   #1
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Would a 6 million dollar man (Bionic Man-type) reboot work now?)

Would a cybernetic-implant show like the Bionic Man work now as a The Six Million Dollar Man reboot?
Could this show have more focus rather than the 2007 Bionic Woman show not knowing if it wanted to go in the directions of Bionic Woman, Buffy, or Alias?

Would there also be a possibility of a episode in which Michelle Ryan from the Bionic Woman (2007) show appears in it?

a quick video recap:
Six Million Dollar Man & Bionic Woman clips
"The Six Million Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Woman" segment from the TV GUIDE LOOKS AT SCIENCE FICTION special (2001) hosted by William Shatner
length: 1:30

What do you guys think about a reboot of The Six Million Dollar Man?

related threads about the original Six Million Dollar Man out on DVD in 2011 and the reboot of Bionic Woman:
Revisiting The Six-Million Dollar Man...

Rewatching the Six Million Dollar Man on DVD

Bionic Woman 2007 - Your thoughts?

Last edited by jefferiestubes8; May 3 2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: added a video for a refresher on the 2 shows.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 05:10 PM   #2
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Would a 6 million dollar man (Bionic Man-type) reboot work now?)

As long as they remembered to make it cool and fun, which Bionic Woman was not.

And they need to bring back the slow-motion bionic effect as well. It's what made the original shows so memorable and iconic; without it, you're pretty much just watching a generic superhero show.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 07:20 PM   #3
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I liked the "speed lines" effect of Sandra Bullock's bionic woman running at mach speeds.
Old May 3 2012, 07:55 PM   #4
Tom
Rear Admiral

Would inflation make it be the 20 miilion dollar man? lol
Old May 3 2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
Maybe each of his parts cost $6 million.
Old May 3 2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
As long as they remembered to make it cool and fun, which Bionic Woman was not.

And they need to bring back the slow-motion bionic effect as well. It's what made the original shows so memorable and iconic; without it, you're pretty much just watching a generic superhero show.
Agree, on all points. If it was done right, then, even today, it would work.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

They had their chance - they should have cast Katee Sackhoff as the lead, and had her play the Bionic Woman as a headcase. And put it on cable.

That general idea is still a good one, a show about bionic enhancements in the future and how it upends assumptions about what humans should be. Do bionic enhancements make humans more or less equal? And in what way? What happens if you have a partially bionic brain? (I'm thinking of the DS9 episode with Bareil.)

That stuff is all good material, but there's no reason to shoehorn it into any sort of law-enforcement format. That's so tired.

Six billion dollars would cover it, lol.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ I think it'd have to be six trillion. Does anyone really think that the kind of enhancements done to Steve and Jaime wouldn't cost at least that much?
Old May 3 2012, 09:27 PM   #9
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Let's say six zillion and call it a day.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 09:44 PM   #10
Wereghost
Commodore

Kevin Smith has recently rebooted both characters in comic-book form to very good effect. Kevin Smith's Bionic Man used to be a film script and is eight issues in. It has several nods to the mythology, including a reference to the ongoing cost of the project - six million dollars a day. Bionic Woman is at issue #1 and looks promising.
Old May 4 2012, 07:02 PM   #11
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
They had their chance - they should have cast Katee Sackhoff as the lead, and had her play the Bionic Woman as a headcase.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 07:12 PM   #12
Tom
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ I think it'd have to be six trillion. Does anyone really think that the kind of enhancements done to Steve and Jaime wouldn't cost at least that much?
it would only be really that high is if the techs were in a union . lol

Last edited by Tom; May 4 2012 at 08:55 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 07:44 PM   #13
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Stick with the $6 million and have a lot of the comedy come from the low budget equipment that he's forced to use. Comedy gold.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 10:20 PM   #14
Dream
Admiral

Well the Bionic WOMan remake that was on NBC flopped...

Last edited by Dream; May 5 2012 at 03:25 AM.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 11:21 PM   #15
23skidoo
Admiral

The Bionic Woman remake flopped because they abandoned everything that made the original series work. Plus I'll never forget watching behind-the-scenes interviews with the writers and some cast members (not, for the record, Michelle Ryan) who expressed general dislike for the original series. You must respect the original source otherwise the remake will suck.

They also can't do what Kevin Smith did and take all the fun out of it. I like the comic book, and I bought a copy of the script for his movie a long time ago and thought it was interesting. But just as you must accept the suspension of disbelief that spaceships can go faster than light in order to accept Star Trek, and that time travel is possible so you can accept Doctor Who, you have to accept things like "A man with one bionic arm can lift a car without crushing the rest of his body" to accept Steve Austin. And I'm afraid too many of today's viewers have become too "Big Bang Theoried" to accept that. Hence you have Kevin Smith (both in the script and the comic) doing things like having Austin's real arm removed, both eyes removed oh, and let's replace all his skin while we're at it. It makes for an interesting story, but I don't consider this to be "my" Steve Austin (or "my" Jaime Sommers in the case of the new Bionic Woman comic book).

Here's another comparison: Larry Niven's brilliantly funny "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" describes in uncomfortable detail why Superman and Lois Lane can never get together. It's funny. It's probably true (were a Kryptonian with super powers ever to try and romance a human). But it also destroys the romance.

The only way for a Six Million Dollar Man remake will work in today's day and age is they have to go back to the novel. Martin Caidin's Cyborg has Steve Austin, a Vietnam veteran (substitute Afghanistan) and test pilot who gets mashed up in a plane crash. His bionics arm (that's not a typo: that's how Caidin writes it) is bludgeon with a poison dart gun in a fingertip; his legs do not run at superspeed, but he can run longer than regular people because his heart and lungs only have to power his torso, head and right arm (Steve's bionics arm is his left arm in the books); his eye is a camera, and he can't see out of it - a later book gives him a laser; his ribs are replaced by artificial ribs that double as a transmission antenna for a radio built into one of his legs.

Oh, and on missions Steve acts like Mack Bolan.

If they go back to the original, then it might fly. If they want to just do a riff on the TV series (thank you profusely to whomever killed the plan to do a Jim Carrey comedy based on it) it's gonna fail. That said, however, I saw enough of Ben Browder's appearance as Lee Majors in a TV movie on the making of Charlie's Angels that he'd have done fine in an SMDM remake 10 years ago.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote