Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 3 2012, 11:45 AM   #1
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

"That doesn't count!"

There's lots and lots of debate here over which bits of Trek count and which bits don't. I often hear "I prefer to ignore [episode/movie/series X]" or words to that effect.

I'm curious which bits of Star Trek fans prefer to pretend didn't happen. I personally take an all-inclusive approach, where every episode, movie, novel and comic combine into one gigantic tapestry, where the broad strokes jist of everything counts even if the specifics often don't add up (see video in my sig for a few examples of specifics not adding up!), and irrespective of if an episode or movie was any good or not.

That said, Trip didn't die in "These Are the Voyages", that was just a shitty and inaccurate holodeck program
Old May 3 2012, 12:11 PM   #2
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: "That doesn't count!"

The lizard babies are out there. They are highly evolved and they are MAD.

"Mommy.. why didn't you love us? Was it because Daddy was a twerp?"

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 12:50 PM   #3
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

The entirety of ENT. Basically every minute of Season 1 of TNG that isn't referenced in some way. TFF (continuity is honestly smoother without it between TVH and TUC). Just about every Borg ep in VOY after Scorpion, with little exception.

All of those are very much in the "I try my hardest to ignore that they exist" list.
Old May 3 2012, 01:37 PM   #4
BruntFCA
Commander

ENT-TATV- The only Star Trek episode that I will for sure never watch again. I ignore this episode while watching the series but also when rating season 4 as I don't think its fair to Manny Coto to let a horrible episode that he had nothing to do with bring down an otherwise outstanding season.
Old May 3 2012, 01:53 PM   #5
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Picard being bald even when he was a cadet at the Academy. That's really the only thing for me, but even that I can explain away like so many other things in Trek.
Old May 3 2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I do not accept TATV. Seeing as how it was a holodeck episode then they obviously got it wrong.

Anything to do with hologrpahic rights in VOY is also drivel. Though I am willing to accept that mutant human babies are out there somewhere in the DQ (why didn Voyager lock onto them and beam them aboard?).

There are also many elements from Nemesis that are just plain wrong and must be ignored.
Old May 3 2012, 03:46 PM   #7
Forbin
Admiral

Basically, anything I didn't like.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 07:38 PM   #8
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I count everything. But if I don't like it I just don't think about it much. I prefer to think of the stuff I like.
Old May 3 2012, 08:25 PM   #9
bbailey861
Admiral

I count pretty much everything as well. Getting wrapped around the axle over something Trek is pretty much pointless (cue the diehards). I have been a Trekkie since the beginning and, frankly, haven't hated any of it. I've just gone along for the ride and taken it as it comes. Sure, I like some things better than others, but that pretty much goes for most things. No worries, though.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 08:48 PM   #10
RoJoHen
Awesome

Unless it directly contradicts something else, I count everything.
Old May 3 2012, 09:44 PM   #11
TiberiusMaximus
Fleet Captain

Location: A ship, a living ship, full of strange alien lifeforms.

TATV? What's that? And what are these mutant lizard babies everyone's talking about? Is there a Trek series I don't know about or something?

Seriously, I pretend lots of things didn't happen, such as the aforementioned episodes that shall not be named.

Let's see...what else...

I don't buy that the Prophets don't understand linear time. I prefer to think they were testing Sisko and trying to learn about how the human mind processes things.

I think the same about the Q's claims of omnipotence, the idea that they have literally done everything that could possibly be done, and the idea that Q Junior was the first Q child ever. I prefer to think the Q have been lying every time they explained something to the humans.

When I don't like something in Trek, I either ignore it outright or come up with a justification for it - something like "X isn't always true" or "he/she was lying/joking/wrong when he/she said that"...that works for things like Klingons being too tough to cook their food or to sleep on mattresses.
"Quite possibly, the five Jem'Hadar could turn Data into a collection of four spasming limbs, one helpless torso, and one head that shouts insults at them like the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch." -Timo Saloniemi
TiberiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 10:45 PM   #12
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Trip didn't die in "These Are the Voyages", that was just a shitty and inaccurate holodeck program
Fortunately, that's not something we have to "pretend" didn't happen.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 11:16 PM   #13
sonak
Vice Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
I do not accept TATV. Seeing as how it was a holodeck episode then they obviously got it wrong.

Anything to do with hologrpahic rights in VOY is also drivel. Though I am willing to accept that mutant human babies are out there somewhere in the DQ (why didn Voyager lock onto them and beam them aboard?).

There are also many elements from Nemesis that are just plain wrong and must be ignored.

Hey, good to see I'm not alone on the "drivel" of VOY's holographic rights storylines.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 12:11 AM   #14
JRoss
Captain

All of Voyager, ST V, Nemesis, TATV.
Old May 4 2012, 05:35 AM   #15
ngc7293
Commander

Enterprise doesn't count in my book
It's hard to pick out of Voyager since so much of it was bad, but everyone knows which episodes were, so I will leave it up to the group.
Star Trek the Abrams-verse (2009+): If they had left out the old universe and made their own, I might have gone along, but they had to pull old Spock into it and screw things up.

The one thing I hated about Insurrection was the idea of "Manual Mode", like a star ship could be flown with a joystick, so Star Trek really IS nothing more than a video game!
I didn't mind Nemesis (mostly) but I two things stuck in my head. The first was that Picard was a cue ball in star fleet, but he grew hair as he got older. Then data "came back" to torment the audience. I assumed Data's sacrifice was a message saying the actor wasn't coming back for another movie. To me they could have just killed Data off.